Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    3,616

    Semi accurate DIY trigger pull gauge.

    So I got a PPC 1500 Match at the end of the month. I was worried that my CZ trigger might be a little light. Min 3.5#. Never really shot an official PPC match.

    So I got some stiff rope that barely stretches. I took a pistol case and added weight to make it 4lbs total. Tied the rope around the trigger and case. Cocked the hammer, made sure everything was in the center and lifted. Now the gun didn't fire. Did that a few times.

    Safe to say its more than 3.5# ?



    But if I lifted it and jerked, it would fire.

    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Run 'n' Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,604
    I would think that would be close, do you know the factory spec for the gun? It would be reasonable to assume the average of the 2 would be accurate.

    Amazon has the simple Wheeler units for $33 and free shipping if you have prime, might be a waste for a one off match though?

    https://www.amazon.ca/Wheeler-Engine...r+trigger+pull
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SWOntario
    Posts
    1,949
    Got a fish weighing scale? Same thing as an "Official trigger pull gauge".
    Mind you, in the old days, a piece of string with a weight on it was exactly how trigger pull was tested.
    PPC trigger pull rules vary with who's rules you're following. Canadian(OHA) PPC rules say 3.5 pounds for a pistol on SA is minimum. 2.5 SA for a revolver. So you're ok anyway.

  4. #4
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Run 'n' Gun View Post
    I would think that would be close, do you know the factory spec for the gun? It would be reasonable to assume the average of the 2 would be accurate.

    Amazon has the simple Wheeler units for $33 and free shipping if you have prime, might be a waste for a one off match though?

    https://www.amazon.ca/Wheeler-Engine...r+trigger+pull
    It's a used gun, that was used in IPSC so I'm not sure what other mods the guy did other then the hammer.

    Factory for the tactical model some one said 4.5-5lbs. Not sure for the regular SP01.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    3,616
    Okay I say it fairly accurate. Took the 4.5/5lb they said on the video.

    Weighed 4.5lbs on the scale with the case. Barely lifted it and it broke. Went down to like 4.2lbs and didn't break. So safe to say around 4.3-4.5# trigger.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  6. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

    Rory McCanuck (09-14-2018)

  7. #6
    Super Moderator Rory McCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Manitoba
    Posts
    9,943
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    But if I lifted it and jerked, it would fire.
    Reverse it and think of it like a hammer, the hammer and chisel kind.
    Set a 4lb hammer on an anvil, and it generates 4lbs of force on the anvil.
    Swing it and hit the anvil, and it generates a whole lot more than 4lbs of force.
    That's more or less what you're doing by jerking the weight.

    So, if 4.2lbs doesn't break the sear, your trigger is heavier than 4.2lbs.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

  8. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

    Stew (09-14-2018)

  9. #7
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Reverse it and think of it like a hammer, the hammer and chisel kind.
    Set a 4lb hammer on an anvil, and it generates 4lbs of force on the anvil.
    Swing it and hit the anvil, and it generates a whole lot more than 4lbs of force.
    That's more or less what you're doing by jerking the weight.

    So, if 4.2lbs doesn't break the sear, your trigger is heavier than 4.2lbs.
    Thanks.

    Yeah a jar full of bullets is a great thing to have. Doesn't take much to add or subtract a oz.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  10. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

    Rory McCanuck (09-14-2018)

  11. #8
    Senior Member Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    780
    I have a piece of coat hanger bent into the shape of one of the proper match trigger pull gauges (that use actual weights, not springs). I had a tiny bucket from a gift or something that I add bullets to until the trigger breaks. I would not expect my shadow to have a trigger more than 2.5 lb in SA, and it's still IPSC production legal with nothing changed other than springs.

  12. #9
    Senior Member RobertMcC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Nova Scotia.
    Posts
    3,616
    Well I put a 10lb weight on the food scale, and it was 9lbs 13 oz. My bathroom scale, it showed 9.8lbs. So .2 lbs off. So still should be over 4lbs.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

  13. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well I put a 10lb weight on the food scale, and it was 9lbs 13 oz. My bathroom scale, it showed 9.8lbs. So .2 lbs off. So still should be over 4lbs.
    Using the bullets would be more accurate. You could weigh ten of them, one at a time, and average it.

    Using the aforementioned tiny bucket attached to a 1/4" steel rod from Home Depot, bent to a proper shape, should be very accurate with bullets added until the trigger breaks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •