Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall tents

Wall tents

Has anybody dealt with Deluxewalltents in BC?.

Just doing some reading and research right now on wall tents in general. I'm looking for something in the 14 x 16 to 20 size.

The tent will probably be used once or twice a year on quadding trips, not to sleep in but more as a warm shelter when it's raining or snowing.

All input welcome.

Thanks!

I was checking them out last week. Seems they’re a hair cheaper than some, but I didn’t manage to dig up much info other than the reviews they’ve posted on their site. I’ve been after a winter tent for a while, but I’ve mostly been considering surplus offerings from Hero Outdoors or new from Atuk Tents in Quebec, which seem to have a good reputation. A buddy has the Alakanak and Big Horn tents from Cabela’s, which aren’t priced too ridiculously to start, but the accessories you ‘need’ once you’ve got one seem to add up to half the cost of the damn tent on top again.....
    Last edited by kennymo; 10-09-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

335/434 (10-09-2018), Rory McCanuck (10-09-2018)

Thanks.....and yeah, when I first started looking I didn't realize that frames etc. were all sold separately....when the smoke clears it would be 3k ish.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    we use to cut lodge pole pine for the frames,, used the same set for many seasons

I’ll admit my buddy’s and I are planning on going ghetto...2 10x10 Cambodian tire cheap ez-ups, a couple extra 8x10 tarps for walls, and a giant 12x20 for an extra cover over everything. Add a couple cots, some basic creature comforts, a homemade wood stove (re-purposed 30lb propane tank) and I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine. But then again we do have those mild BC winters lol

We’ve spent a few moose camps in a 10’x20’ portable garage from Canadian Tire. $300 on sale, split four ways. Four sheets of OSB and some hinges to create a solid end with a man foot and a place to install the airtight stove. Roomy and warm, but ‘portability’ isn’t it’s strong suit. Without the chip board end wall you could sqeeze all the fixings into a single 14’ Lund though....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Been using one from Fort Mcpherson for a few years. I agree with the Crappy Tire garage for your use. Less expensive, frame included and you have to throw a tarp over the canvas anyway for the snow to slide off.

"...all sold separately..." Everything is normally sold separately. Ropes, pegs, etc. Ropes and pegs can be made easily enough. The ropes are just 3/8" Sisal or manila. Splicing a loop on one end is easier to do than it looks too.
    The 14 x 16 to 20 size is probably too big for moving on a quad. My 15 x 15 x 10 goes into a large Army duffle bag but the poles live in my truck.
    "...portable garage from Canadian Tire..." Has no ropes too, but I don't think it'd fit on a quad with the frame either. 10 x 12 x 8 runs $269.00 at Home Depot. $399.99 at Crappy Tire. Nobody says how big they are when packed up.
    Look at the Woods Industrial Prospector tent. https://www.herooutdoors.com/military-tents-1/

I have two old canvas army tents. Very heavy duty, and without poles - haven't had the chance to even try to put something together. Buddy tells me they are were called "150 pounders". Probably won't ever use them... Anyone know anything about them?

Thanks for the replies. I should have been a bit more clear as well, it will not be used for sleeping nor packed in by quads. The idea was a simple, easy way to setup a shelter.

We tried the a-frame with a tarp, which wasn't too bad but spending a few hours hunting for trees and assembly kinda sucked as did the open ends of the "tent".

I did look at some of those garages but they seemed like they would not last long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast