Reserve power options

In another thread, there is talk of NG supply being compromised, temporarily depleted, etc.

So how about some of the better fall back options that are under $5k, and somewhat flexible. So solar, micro hydro, etc are pretty much out. Wth those already, youíre not too dependent on local infrastructure for support anyway.

1 Gas/diesel generator (includes your welding trucks)

2 PTO generator - needs a tractor or similar first but may be better than #1 in some cases

3 wood heat - furnace/fireplace. not flexible

4 Plumbing a reserve tank as part of the system to give you capacity after gas pressure drops for that area. Not flexible, and itís typically thought that the pressure would last for a while as not many people would be drawing on it if there is no electricity for most ignition systems

5 can propane tanks be used to run NG in a pinch? I know different ports/jets should be used, but just how interchangeable are they?

What else is out there?

As an aside, I saw a Stirling hit n miss engine in a southern SK town sitting on a pallet by their trash bins. Doubt itís being thrown out, and the collectors wouldnít touch it for weight either.

5. Natural gas/Propane can be interchangeable but there’s some parts swapping involved. Orifice size will change, and you’ll need suitable pressure regulators depending on your propane source. (And maybe a different gas valve on heating appliances?) I know some BBQ’s now come with inaccessible orifices, but I think most of the heating equipment is still convertible....

I’d think an alternative heating device on propane might be a better simpler option? Or there are kerosene convection heaters that can be used (relatively safely) indoors and don’t require power for a fan.

Stirling hit and miss?
    Last edited by kennymo; 10-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

SIR VEYOR (10-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    5. Natural gas/Propane can be interchangeable but there’s some parts swapping involved. Orifice size will change, and you’ll need suitable pressure regulators depending on your propane source. (And maybe a different gas valve on heating appliances?) I know some BBQ’s now come with inaccessible orifices, but I think most of the heating equipment is still convertible....

I’d think an alternative heating device on propane might be a better simpler option? Or there are kerosene convection heaters that can be used (relatively safely) indoors and don’t require power for a fan.

Stirling hit and miss?
    Ok, so there really isn’t a good way to swap propane and NG in an outage sort of situation, especially safely.

As for the sterlings, this might be the best explanation

Still used on a lot of fishing boats (LW should be able to confirm)

And has a large following is some areas. They’re almost always on display at exhibitions, antique tractor shows, tractor pulls, etc.

^^ Yeah, there’s one of those decorating the lawn at the farm (cracked piston), but it’s not a Stirling motor. Grandpa used to have about ten hit and miss motors in running condition in his shop.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    going to be replacing my gas generators at the ranch with a solar power pack combination,, will power 110v LED lights, LED TV, laptops, charge phones, and other small electrical devices.

1111.pnguntitled.png

panel will recharge the power pack during the day and we can draw power 24 and 7

we use very little electric power as fridge and stove are propane