Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrielm View Post
    If you're into it for tactical shooting or close in stuff, the red dot on the barrel clamp like you run is a great option. For hunting, I wanted to mount an optic that wasn't a million inches over the bore. I might stick with the 3x32 or get a cheap 2-7x32.
    Not to be a pain in the rear but how much did you pay for that FTU? Then why would you cheap out on glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Not to be a pain in the rear but how much did you pay for that FTU? Then why would you cheap out on glass?
    Cheap is relative. I'd be talking about a Leupold VX1 2-7 or Burris FFII, that kinda thing. I wouldn't be putting a fancy Nightforce or anything on it though.

So I ran about 200 rounds (140 Federal AE223J, 40 Nork, 20 PMC XM193). The results were pretty interesting.

I only had 2 FTF from one of my older LAR 10 round mags and 1 FTF from my PCV mag - all 3 were round missing the chamber, coming up at too steep an angle.

Interestingly enough, at 50 yards, AE223J shoots about 1"-2" lower than the Nork ammo, which is supposed to be M193 spec. on ARFcom, some guys posted some chrono data saying the AE223J bullet is completely different from M193 and it chronos about 250 FPS slower, so that makes sense. (Post: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/516994_.html)

I also reached the conclusion that maybe my feeding problems were partially due to bum mag followers. The mags giving me a bit of a hiccup were ASC 10 round .223 mags - and the follower on them is super lame. It has a mold the shape of a rounded (at the head) .223 round on the follower, and the retention hole for the spring isn't actually enclosed. I found loaded to 5, when I gave them a shake, the spring would make a pretty pronounced clicking sound. Also, pushing down on various points of the follower, it still did tilt in a fairly pronounced fashion.

My older LAR mags also weren't as reliable as I'd like - so this morning I took them apart and swapped the followers on all of them with Gen III Magpul self leveling/anti-tilt followers. The older ones (4 of them) had 2 with the same ones that I had trimmed a little bit to be able to load them into my AR with the bolt closed (still only held 10), and 2 with older generation Magpul followers (without the coil collector).

I definitely DID have nose-dive issues with these mags in the past - but filing down the feed ramp rectified that issue.

Interestingly enough, I've NEVER had an issue with the D&H 5 round aluminium mags, and it appears they use Gen 3 followers.

Hopefully the swap out rectifies some of the FTF issues - I really want my LAR mags to be more consistent.

I'm pretty sure the followers fixed the issue. 100 rounds through and not one stoppage with new and improved followers.

Sweet to hear that.

Banned
    Question? What are you all using for sights? Irons, Red dot, scope?

Cheers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Resurrecting this old thread - anyone have any experience with a improved mag release for this thing? Just got a FTU T97 and I'm pretty happy with it, except the mag release. I would want a larger button, or an ambi so I can access it from the left.

I handled one at the gun shop... the mag release made me put it back
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

I'm tempted to visit the local machine shop to sort out that button - I've found a couple of aftermarket adaptations, but most are bar type - I can use the button, but I want it bigger.

I want to get one once I save up enough money they seem really fun

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast