PDA

View Full Version : Long range rig, with no where to shoot

AKS403
10-18-2013, 07:41 PM
When I first got my rpal, one of my first regrets was getting a restricted. I wanted a bolt. So I recently bought a custom built 700 in 300 win mag. Now I'm faced with finding some where to long enough to shoot :Bang head: I turned to an old timer I work with for advice and only got a old hunting map, I know one can shoot on crown land, I've found the boundaries maps, then end up in hunting regs :confused1: Can anyone give me a little advice or clarify this as I'm lost.

Thanks,
Andrew

stevesummit
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
There is lots of guys shooting long range on here ,define what you consider long!

ReignCzech
10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
You can shoot non-res anywhere and everywhere it is permitted.
doesn't matter if in hunting zoned areas during season or not, you're not hunting you're target/sport shooting non-res.

I'm shooting in a hunting zoned area quite a lot, and of course as of now during the season, doesn't matter, i don't bring my tags i have left with me, just targets, and shoot.
Alberta and B.C. are both like this.
If you're in Bantario, then there's a different world of hurt with the regs there, but they pertain to hunting as well, and accordingly to hunting, I do not believe they pertain to non-restricted shooting.

.300 win mag and ultra mag I setup for 1000m max, but that`s me, usually dial it in from 600m to 900m, If you find some length of space to pace it out/measure/range find, and setup, then giver'.

I'm not certain to what ever else you may be pertaining to in clarification.

AKS403
10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the fast responses.
Well, anything bigger then an indoor range is long for me, but I'd at least like to find 4 - 600m, start small right, until I build up my skills. Wishfully thinking would be 13 - 1500m

blacksmithden
10-18-2013, 11:00 PM
One thing about Alberta. Any legal resident of Alberta can shoot coyotes and rabbits 365 days per year without a license. The season is open 100% of the time. If a fish cop ever decided to try and charge you, the only thing they could nail you for is hunting in a no hunting zone. As long as you're on crown land, and not in a no hunting zone, they'll never bother you with the hunting angle because they know they'll never make a case out of it. In actual fact, most (not all, but most) fish cops are fairly level headed. If you're obviously shooting at a target, and you're not endangering anyone, they would probably leave the area without you even knowing they were ever there.

Satain
10-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the fast responses.
Well, anything bigger then an indoor range is long for me, but I'd at least like to find 4 - 600m, start small right, until I build up my skills. Wishfully thinking would be 13 - 1500m
Start with the fundamentals first.
First that means starting at 100 meter's and learn your scope. Try doing box drills and tracking drills with your scope. Then push it out to 300 and try doing W drills. Once you have been comfortable with that then start reading up on wind drift, evaluation and weather conditions and the effects that they have on your shots. Then put that new found knowledge and start working from 5 round groups from 400, 500 & 600 pie plate shoots. once you start constantly start hitting those shoots with your 300 win mag. Then and only then start looking into the rotation of the earth effect on your trajectory and start going from 700, 800, 1000 and end up at 1200 meters. You will notice that at these distances if you learned all the rest of the stuff and are comfortable with it that your percentage of hits will start of strong and weaken out as you push that bullet to the max range of it's accuracy abilities.
Me personally I dislike the shoulder thrashing of the 300 win mag and prefer the 338 Lapua over it but to each there own. Just make sure you have a nice shooting rest in the begging to get the flinching out of the equation.

stevesummit
10-20-2013, 08:07 PM
First that means starting at 100 meter's and learn your scope. Try doing box drills and tracking drills with your scope. Then push it out to 300 and try doing W drills. Once you have been comfortable with that then start reading up on wind drift, evaluation and weather conditions and the effects that they have on your shots. Then put that new found knowledge and start working from 5 round groups from 400, 500 & 600 pie plate shoots. once you start constantly start hitting those shoots with your 300 win mag. Then and only then start looking into the rotation of the earth effect on your trajectory and start going from 700, 800, 1000 and end up at 1200 meters. You will notice that at these distances if you learned all the rest of the stuff and are comfortable with it that your percentage of hits will start of strong and weaken out as you push that bullet to the max range of it's accuracy abilities.
Me personally I dislike the shoulder thrashing of the 300 win mag and prefer the 338 Lapua over it but to each there own. Just make sure you have a nice shooting rest in the begging to get the flinching out of the equation.

No no no you have it all wrong!!! Your suposed to way over gun your self and shoot till your black and blue , and you close your eyes and shudder just by picking the rifle up!! This is when you know your ready to be a certified long range shooter!! Oh and don't forget to promote your scorpion optics every chance you get !!!!!!

ReignCzech
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
so which one of you is the scorpion rep guy, stevesummit or satain?

I've seen them all over firearmscanada and i think on gunaddicts sometime in the past as well.

stevesummit
10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
I would ask someone to shoot me if I was a rep for them ! But I would have to make it clear not to use one of the scopes!!!!!!!!!

tigrr
10-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Ah I was going to get you a REDHOT one Steve
http://scorpionoptics.ca/index.php/component/spidercatalog/showproduct/510?

JustBen
10-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Back on topic...

Crowsnest Mountain Gun Club's Range goes to 4 or 500 yards. It's a couple hours south, but it may be worth checking out. You will likely want something with a bit more ground clearance to get into the range.

SavageLapua
10-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Rocky Mountain House's range is great too. There are a few members from Calgary and Cochrane areas. The club is working on the 600m berm right now and will have the 1200m range open sometime in 2014 (I wish I knew exactly what the timeline on that little project is).

SL

Satain
10-21-2013, 08:39 PM
No no no you have it all wrong!!! Your suposed to way over gun your self and shoot till your black and blue , and you close your eyes and shudder just by picking the rifle up!! This is when you know your ready to be a certified long range shooter!! Oh and don't forget to promote your scorpion optics every chance you get !!!!!!
Sir Steve!!!!
U KILL ME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcamI0pWE8
Had to youtube it to figure out what the hell was a scorpion optic and I love how he says that they are made in Canada but clearly it is a Chinese made scope that is being run by a Canadian company.
LoL!!! Precision & Magnum rated my @r$e.

desiel
10-21-2013, 09:34 PM
there is apra at sibbald flats on hiway 68 west of calgary and they go to 900 yards with small bore, big bore, and siloette set up. consort also has a long range range i donot remeber exactly but 1300 yards and life size buffalo sound close. at least at a range you are fairly confident of your back ground and not just out flingin lead it to the trees in some of the most used country in alberta.
desiel

AKS403
10-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Well first off, thanks to those who took the time to reply.

I agree. I know I have to start at the beginning and learn my way up to the longer ranges. I only say 4 - 600 as I'd like to get there. by no means am I set on shooting 1K straight out of the gate. As for the shoulder bashing, what can I say. I like em loud and hard hitting, plus proving folks wrong is a plus. Being stubborn helps too.

Back on topic...

Crowsnest Mountain Gun Club's Range goes to 4 or 500 yards. It's a couple hours south, but it may be worth checking out. You will likely want something with a bit more ground clearance to get into the range.

Worth looking into, though I lack the ground clearance as I drive a car, so I'd likely have to hike in.

Rocky Mountain House's range is great too. There are a few members from Calgary and Cochrane areas. The club is working on the 600m berm right now and will have the 1200m range open sometime in 2014 (I wish I knew exactly what the timeline on that little project is).

SL

Thanks I'll look into it, getting away from the city is a bonus.

there is apra at sibbald flats on hiway 68 west of calgary and they go to 900 yards with small bore, big bore, and siloette set up. consort also has a long range range i donot remeber exactly but 1300 yards and life size buffalo sound close. at least at a range you are fairly confident of your back ground and not just out flingin lead it to the trees in some of the most used country in alberta.
desiel

The club you speak of, don't they have limited membership? That leaves the public range which most people recommend steering clear of. Though some day I'd like to check it out.

I'll shoot until black and blue, no prob :D over gunned? So I skipped the 30 - 06 opps my bad. As for these scorpion optics, which do you recommend that will make me a certified long range pro??

stevesummit
10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
The bottom line of optics I would look at would be a mark 4 luepold . I have only looked through a few others and never really spent a day shooting with them but this is just my opinion !

Dmay
10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
The bottom line of optics I would look at would be a mark 4 luepold . I have only looked through a few others and never really spent a day shooting with them but this is just my opinion !

While certainly not a "certified long range pro", haha, I would concur with this. Not sure how prices compare, but I think its worth looking at Sightron as well. Couple of their scopes have plenty of agjustment built in, which becomes more and more important as you stretch out. The other reason I believe to recommend them is that they are showing up more and more on the line at the 50BMG FCSA shoots, so they have to be decent. That game has been ruled by Nightforce, and before that Leup Mk4, for a very long time. I think it is a measure of any scope to be judged adequate by those guys....

AKS403
10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Haha, I know I know. It seemed like a smart arsed shot at me. 300 win mag over powered, flinching and closing my eyes just picking up the rifle, topped with the scorpion optic comment.. That was my wise assed remark.

Seriously as for optics, I had my eyes on the Vipers but I've began leaning more towards the Sightron. For the time being, my Bushnell tac will have to do. If I wait for the play dough to build back up I may very likely go for a NF. I watched some of the Magpul precision rifle video, do you guys agree with the idea with buying the good glass with a good mount that allows you to transfer your optics between rifles?

stevesummit
10-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Haha, I know I know. It seemed like a smart arsed shot at me. 300 win mag over powered, flinching and closing my eyes just picking up the rifle, topped with the scorpion optic comment.. That was my wise assed remark.

Seriously as for optics, I had my eyes on the Vipers but I've began leaning more towards the Sightron. For the time being, my Bushnell tac will have to do. If I wait for the play dough to build back up I may very likely go for a NF. I watched some of the Magpul precision rifle video, do you guys agree with the idea with buying the good glass with a good mount that allows you to transfer your optics between rifles?

The idea is sound and with a collator styled bore sighter it would be easy to check a zero once installed on another rifle with a base line zero documented ! And really if you can save a couple grand on glass then you could buy a second rifle with the money !!!