PDA

View Full Version : Will you vote in the next election ?

blacksmithden
10-26-2013, 07:46 AM
If the conservatives do not do something major to fix the firearms act, will you bother voting in the next election ?

jwirecom109
10-26-2013, 08:03 AM
I think closer to the date you May see a shift, a platform of we will reform it, just vote for us.

RobSmith
10-26-2013, 08:25 AM
More than likely I'll stay home again. Way too many so-called "conservatives" have been busted diving head first in the cookie jar as of late for my liking for one. I feel that Mr Harper should seriously consider passing the torch by now before Trudeaumania 2.0 gather up too much steam as his popularity has been declining fast and let's face it much of the CPC voter base is/was simply a Harper personality cult. Since I don't see myself voting orange (like most people did here in Quebec at the last election), or red, I might as well just stay home and watch the fireworks (CPC has about a snowball's chance in hell of being elected in this riding anyway). I seriously fear that we will be seeing 1993 all over again at the next election.

Stone Horse
10-27-2013, 10:11 AM
More than likely I'll stay home again. Way too many Liberals have been busted diving head first in the cookie jar as of late for my liking for one.
Slight change to your post. That is the way I felt when the Liberals were being re-elected. Stating they were entitled to their entitlements while proclaiming themselves "Canada's natural governing party". The list of Liberal lies and theft is a long one. The Liberals have not fundamentally changed as of today and I cringe at the thought of JT of becoming PM.

What will I do? I'm not at all happy with the Harper conservatives for several reasons. The Senate spending "scandal" is nothing new under the sun; been happening for decades. But that doesn't make it right and these Senators (spending) need to be more closely monitored. There will never be any Senate reform or Senate abolished because we would never get the provinces to agree. So Senate reform is nothing more than political talk.

I will vote for the lesser of evils which for me will be the CPC. I want to keep my ALL my guns at least for now. If I don't exercise my right to vote, I don't have a right to bitch later on.

Strewth
10-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Stone Horse, you saved me a bunch of typing, thanks:).

lone-wolf
10-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I will be too busy burying my firearms.

FALover
10-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Too many people have sacrificed their lives for us over the years to just say "the hell with voting". I have voted in every municipal,provincial and federal election since I was of age to do so. If you choose not vote then please keep whatever complaints,gripes or assorted bitching to yourself as you gave up the right to complain when you failed to exercise your right to vote.

blacksmithden
10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Too many people have sacrificed their lives for us over the years to just say "the hell with voting". I have voted in every municipal,provincial and federal election since I was of age to do so. If you choose not vote then please keep whatever complaints,gripes or assorted bitching to yourself as you gave up the right to complain when you failed to exercise your right to vote.

Excellent point. I'm going to play devil's advocate here with a hypothetical situation.

There's a three party system. The only issue you're interested in, in the whole election, is what color to paint a building. The only color you want it painted is white.

Party one promises to paint it green...party two, orange...and party 3, green and orange. In actual fact, none of them are committed to paint it at all after the election is over. Also, you're pretty sure all three parties are just lying about what color they really want to paint it and only picked the colors they did because they think they will get more votes.

Who do you vote for ? Oh...and welcome to voter apathy in Canadian politics. :)

Edit: Damn...that was good...I think I'll post that on FB. LOL !

FlyingHigh
10-27-2013, 02:24 PM
i'll vote. it's my democratic obligation to vote.

problem being, i'm not exactly thrilled with any of the parties right now. i loathe the NDP, i despise the Liberals and the CPC aren't really making any friends at the moment.

I'm not a one issue voter, guns being important but not the most important thing, so i'll make my choice closer to the election and will likely just choose the lesser evil.

Two For Sure
10-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I always vote. I also donate and work on campaigns. It's called participatory democracy. It's more democratic if you participate.

Satain
10-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Regardless the next election I see no hope for any of the parties. All of them with Trutard leading the pack all seem like snakes in the grass now to me. Who knows maybe in 2 years time my mind will change but as it stands right now I think I am about to join the other 40% of Canucks that can't stand the lot of them.

Carguy2550
10-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Hit the nail right on the head. If you don't vote - you don't get to complain later on. Always vote!!!

JustBen
10-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Hit the nail right on the head. If you don't vote - you don't get to complain later on. Always vote!!!

That's right!

webster
10-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Excellent point. I'm going to play devil's advocate here with a hypothetical situation.

There's a three party system. The only issue you're interested in, in the whole election, is what color to paint a building. The only color you want it painted is white.

Party one promises to paint it green...party two, orange...and party 3, green and orange. In actual fact, none of them are committed to paint it at all after the election is over. Also, you're pretty sure all three parties are just lying about what color they really want to paint it and only picked the colors they did because they think they will get more votes.

Who do you vote for ? Oh...and welcome to voter apathy in Canadian politics. :)

Edit: Damn...that was good...I think I'll post that on FB. LOL !

That is really good, and sums up how I feel about perfectly. I might steal it in the future. ;)

That being said, I'll still be voting for the least objectionable option and trying to work with them to get results. They haven't exactly been winning me over lately, but they still suck less than the other guys out there. That's about the best thing I can say about them right now.

awndray
10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Here's a good response to this thread.

http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?10101-Russell-Brand-vs-Jeremy-Paxman-on-Politics

Relic49
10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
It's the least we can do to honour the lives that have been sacrificed to give us the right to vote.Right wrong or otherwise,we must excerise our right to vote.

GeoTrekr
10-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Wish the CPC was doing more with the power afforded to them, and I've not been impressed with the latest goings-on, BUT they are still head and shoulders above the Lieberals or the Dipsh*ts. I have never been happier with a Canadian government than when the CPC won their minority, then their majority - they promise, and it gets done. Our economy has been strong, and they pressed on to dump the LGR despite all the wailing (of course it was more of a fiscal issue, but placing the Libs/Dips in the same position, their bias against gunowners notwithstanding, I doubt they would've had the spine to pull it off).

I will be exercising my right, and will vote once again for the CPC. What they won't see from me until I see more action towards a better Firearms Act (read: a non-existant one) is donations.

lone-wolf
10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I doubt the LGR was dropped for simply being a fiscal issue. If they saved a penny dropping the LGR, I'd be shocked.

walperstyle
10-29-2013, 02:50 AM
PC unless the old Reform Party gets up and running again.

1) PC (thank you for scrapping LGR, giving me TFSA, lowering my taxes, and allowing industry to thrive)
2) Green Party (less destructive than everyone else below believe it or not)
3) Bloc (rather have Quebec separate than make decisions for the rest of Canada)
4) Communist party (at least they believe in something)
5) Liberal Party of Canada (sponsorshop scandals, sea king helicopters, swanigate, and long gun registry) (not to mention I am against the charter of rights, it left it open for lawyers to tie up court battles at the expense of the taxpayer)
6) NDP (they seriously promise everything and can't deliver anything, ask BC and Saskatchewan... then look at how the economy changed after gone)

I doubt the LGR was dropped for simply being a fiscal issue. If they saved a penny dropping the LGR, I'd be shocked.

There was costs every year to run the program (upwards of $380,000/year), not to mention, all the lawyers that were getting wealthy off of lengthy court cases. Fortunately the police around our way turned a blind eye during the LGR.

lone-wolf
10-29-2013, 07:29 AM
There was costs every year to run the program (upwards of $380,000/year), not to mention, all the lawyers that were getting wealthy off of lengthy court cases. Fortunately the police around our way turned a blind eye during the LGR.

No one was laid off after it was scrapped. And the restricted registry is still kicking so I doubt the company(s) maintaining them has lowered whatever budget it was given.
Then there's the waste of Quebec, and fighting them about it.

Croats
10-29-2013, 07:38 AM

Yup pretty much sums up my sentiments exactly.

Even if you vote for the lesser of 3 evils so be it but do not waste your vote or you have nothing to complain about ohh and BTW please send me every 2nd pay check you get also (cash only) seeing you don't have enough time to get off you lazy fat arse to vote then don't worry we got ya covered....

awndray
10-29-2013, 07:42 AM
I disagree. If you pay taxes, whether you vote or not, I believe you have every right to complain. Having said that, I also believe that if you are going to complain, don't just do it online or merely for the sake of complaining. Write your officials. A complaint means nothing if you don't let them know.

lone-wolf
10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Right, vote for people I don't want, just so I can be part of the machine of electing people who don't do anything I want, so I can have the right to complain about them.
Sign me up.

If the libertarians have a candidate in my riding, I will vote. Or if the CPC pulls a last minute hail mary play out of their behinds and starts doing something with regards to the firearms act, I'll vote for them.

Edenchef
10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes, I will vote, it is my duty as a citizen. I believe that voting should be compulsory, but only if "None of the Above" appears on the ballot; combined with a petition driven recall process. If you get more voters on a petition for recall than the representative got in the election........boom! Instant recall and by election. I think that would clean up this Charlie Foxtrot called government very quickly. It would certainly make our MP's more responsive to their constituents rather than to the party machine. And a bad government could find itself a minority government, overnight. JMHO.

Cheers!

Croats
10-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes, I will vote, it is my duty as a citizen. I believe that voting should be compulsory, but only if "None of the Above" appears on the ballot; combined with a petition driven recall process. If you get more voters on a petition for recall than the representative got in the election........boom! Instant recall and by election. I think that would clean up this Charlie Foxtrot called government very quickly. It would certainly make our MP's more responsive to their constituents rather than to the party machine. And a bad government could find itself a minority government, overnight. JMHO.

Cheers!

Very good idea!

Now what about making a new law that any and all parties has to follow which is:
New elected federal party (provincial also) after being elected into power and is a majority government - You will make good on 100% of all promises (election promises) within 1 year and if not out you go and there is a new election.

I say that because way too many parties are skirting there promises and I think they need to be more transparent and held more accountable, it is easy to make all sorts of promises but once your in then who cares?? Well that just wont do... that or why not promise all voters that if they get in they will give away 1 million dollars to every single canadian every year once a year also... I mean hey why not maybe promise everyone a brand new CN tower on there property also maybe a free aircraft carrier from Russia free of charge....

Edenchef
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Very good idea!

Now what about making a new law that any and all parties has to follow which is:
New elected federal party (provincial also) after being elected into power and is a majority government - You will make good on 100% of all promises (election promises) within 1 year and if not out you go and there is a new election.

I say that because way too many parties are skirting there promises and I think they need to be more transparent and held more accountable, it is easy to make all sorts of promises but once your in then who cares?? Well that just wont do... that or why not promise all voters that if they get in they will give away 1 million dollars to every single canadian every year once a year also... I mean hey why not maybe promise everyone a brand new CN tower on there property also maybe a free aircraft carrier from Russia free of charge....

:agree: With a "right of recall"; WE can force the transparency and accountability WE want. On OUR schedule. If we don't like what they are doing or how fast they are doing it..........bingo! Election time.

Cheers!

Croats
10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
:agree: With a "right of recall"; WE can force the transparency and accountability WE want. On OUR schedule. If we don't like what they are doing or how fast they are doing it..........bingo! Election time.

Cheers!

Ahhhhhhhhh the day dreaming is getting to me ...LOL
It would be nice and it would be right seeing we elect them , we pay for them and they are "suppose to reflect the majorities wishes" not reflect there personal wishes.
TFB they don't care, and that is where "we" need to step up to the plate and demand it from them.
Probably never happen but it would be worth a try.

Edenchef
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh the day dreaming is getting to me ...LOL
It would be nice and it would be right seeing we elect them , we pay for them and they are "suppose to reflect the majorities wishes" not reflect there personal wishes.
TFB they don't care, and that is where "we" need to step up to the plate and demand it from them.
Probably never happen but it would be worth a try.

I believe..........my brother in arms, our "leaf" demands it. JMHO.

Cheers!

RobSmith
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
One argument that I would tend to put forward in <not> voting has to do with the $ the party gets for each vote. Seems to me that voting while holding your nose, just for the sake of having voted, consequently consists in participating in the financial well-being of the very party which you disagree with... Seems a bit counterproductive to me.

Edenchef
10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
One argument that I would tend to put forward in <not> voting has to do with the $ the party gets for each vote. Seems to me that voting while holding your nose, just for the sake of having voted, consequently consists in participating in the financial well-being of the very party which you disagree with... Seems a bit counterproductive to me.

Very correct, sir. So go in and spoil your ballot, by writing in "none of the above". If enough of us do it, for long enough.......maybe someday they will get the message. Oh, and make sure to tell, write, email, whatever; your MP, PM, MLA, Premier, Mayor, etc and tell them what you did and why. Money and votes speak in their language.

Cheers!

Croats
10-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Very correct, sir. So go in and spoil your ballot, by writing in "none of the above". If enough of us do it, for long enough.......maybe someday they will get the message. Oh, and make sure to tell, write, email, whatever; your MP, PM, MLA, Premier, Mayor, etc and tell them what you did and why. Money and votes speak in their language.

Cheers!

OHhh just to add to that, take a pic with cell phone and post it on fakebook and twits and stuff so the world knows also.

Edenchef
10-29-2013, 02:46 PM
OHhh just to add to that, take a pic with cell phone and post it on fakebook and twits and stuff so the world knows also.

Very good idea! Now you are getting the hang of it! Attach the photos to the correspondence you send to the politicians listed.

Cheers!

YukonLeftie
10-30-2013, 02:51 AM
More than likely I'll stay home again. Way too many so-called "conservatives" have been busted diving head first in the cookie jar as of late for my liking for one. I feel that Mr Harper should seriously consider passing the torch by now before Trudeaumania 2.0 gather up too much steam as his popularity has been declining fast and let's face it much of the CPC voter base is/was simply a Harper personality cult. Since I don't see myself voting orange (like most people did here in Quebec at the last election), or red, I might as well just stay home and watch the fireworks (CPC has about a snowball's chance in hell of being elected in this riding anyway). I seriously fear that we will be seeing 1993 all over again at the next election.

This is absolute truth. Especially now with all the corruption nonsense going on - if Harper is serious about the improvement of the nation then he should be considering stepping aside.

PC unless the old Reform Party gets up and running again.

1) PC (thank you for scrapping LGR, giving me TFSA, lowering my taxes, and allowing industry to thrive) Yeeess because lowering taxes works so well in paying the debt off.
2) Green Party (less destructive than everyone else below believe it or not) Im not convinced but i am leaning that way.
3) Bloc (rather have Quebec separate than make decisions for the rest of Canada) (Should be tried for treason. Period.)
4) Communist party (at least they believe in something) I actually havent looked to see if such exists.
5) Liberal Party of Canada (sponsorshop scandals, sea king helicopters, swanigate, and long gun registry) (not to mention I am against the charter of rights, it left it open for lawyers to tie up court battles at the expense of the taxpayer) Yeeeaaa the last thing we need right now. But, given that the Spoiled Brat seems 'destined' for it.... disturbing.
6) NDP (they seriously promise everything and can't deliver anything, ask BC and Saskatchewan... then look at how the economy changed after gone) Equally last thing we need.

I disagree. If you pay taxes, whether you vote or not, I believe you have every right to complain. Having said that, I also believe that if you are going to complain, don't just do it online or merely for the sake of complaining. Write your officials. A complaint means nothing if you don't let them know.

Exactly true. Get a kick out of whiny teats that claim that not voting equals no right to complain; despite the fact that the taxes are being paid by most all.

Cheers!

Cheers!

If we had that, we COULD turf every single last bum out of there, peacefully. It is a much overdue necessity - one that we will never see for the same reason.

As far as myself? I will likely vote, but as for which way? That remains to be seen.

Strewth
10-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't understand why people wouldn't vote. The more that vote, the more the government reflects the will of the people. Might be uninformed, entitled people, but can you imagine if everyone was politically tuned in? Cared about the direction the country was going? Might actually have recalls, and pride in Canada and Canadian products...

At least take the whopping 15 minutes out of your four years and go spoil a ballot.

awndray
10-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Let's be honest here, it's not easy to follow what's going in politics - let alone Canadian politics - when the media has the freedom and power to infiltrate our air waves with the garbage we hear and see today. People care when bad things happen. When good things happen, they stop caring...until something bad happens.

Imagine for one second if every single person in the country boycotted the polls on election day - a show of force to tell the government that we're tired of empty promises. What would happen then? But of course, thousands of people will skew the results when they start showing up at the polls with their pill bottles as ID.

YukonLeftie
10-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't understand why people wouldn't vote. The more that vote, the more the government reflects the will of the people. Might be uninformed, entitled people, but can you imagine if everyone was politically tuned in? Cared about the direction the country was going? Might actually have recalls, and pride in Canada and Canadian products...

At least take the whopping 15 minutes out of your four years and go spoil a ballot.

Reality is, more and more people realize that voting does not mean jack; that system stopped functioning when big money took our politics over. Call it tinfoil hat if you want.

Croats
10-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Reality is, more and more people realize that voting does not mean jack; that system stopped functioning when big money took our politics over. Call it tinfoil hat if you want.

Yes very true - Democracy and voting has turned into a huge mess with maybe 50% of voters turning out and if 50% show that is a good election year.
Does not say much for how the voting public see it now a days.

Strewth
10-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Let's be honest here, it's not easy to follow what's going in politics - let alone Canadian politics - when the media has the freedom and power to infiltrate our air waves with the garbage we hear and see today. People care when bad things happen. When good things happen, they stop caring...until something bad happens.

Imagine for one second if every single person in the country boycotted the polls on election day - a show of force to tell the government that we're tired of empty promises. What would happen then? But of course, thousands of people will skew the results when they start showing up at the polls with their pill bottles as ID.

And prisoners would still vote for the NDP too:(. I'd still rather everyone showed up to spoil their ballot, I think it would be a stronger message.

I actually am pleasantly surprised with the growing amount of people I know without TV; be they getting their info from an echo chamber like Rabble or CGN:), it's still a mile better than the weak stream we get from the CBC.

Was democracy always this way? Half the people voting? I have these visions of the '50's where everyone did their civic duty? But this was right after a global war, when maybe people had a heightened sense of community?

Mad Hatter
10-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Slightly off topic but: In the recent civic election in my small town, I emailed each of the town councillors and mayor the same question: would they support erecting safety barriers along the local golf course where the tee-offs are located along a major road and golf balls constantly hit cars and people. Out of 5, two responded. The mayor brushed it off and one of the councillors said that he did not like the look of the barriers. I voted for five councillors running against the current office.

YukonLeftie
10-31-2013, 02:32 AM
Slightly off topic but: In the recent civic election in my small town, I emailed each of the town councillors and mayor the same question: would they support erecting safety barriers along the local golf course where the tee-offs are located along a major road and golf balls constantly hit cars and people. Out of 5, two responded. The mayor brushed it off and one of the councillors said that he did not like the look of the barriers. I voted for five councillors running against the current office.

Did it accomplish anything?

Mad Hatter
10-31-2013, 08:49 AM
A few new council members this time around.

mavrik9
10-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Yes very true - Democracy and voting has turned into a huge mess with maybe 50% of voters turning out and if 50% show that is a good election year.
Does not say much for how the voting public see it now a days.

Calgarys most recent vote netted a whopping 30%

mavrik9
10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes I will still vote, but for who? When the time comes it will probably be "None of the above", It's really sad that our government cant promise anything but to lie and cheat.

lone-wolf
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
In the last campaign, Malpeque, a largely rural riding of about 34,000 residents, had the second-best turnout in the country: 71.4 per cent. Compared with most federal ridings, its population is vastly smaller. Politicians are visible and known in the country's smallest and least populated province. Residents don't think twice about phoning their politicians to air concerns. They also expect a response.

"Everybody in PEI knows everybody, and it's important to get the right candidate in there," said Stephen Stewart, a local mussel farmer for a quarter-century.

Islanders have felt this way for generations. Many have deep roots in the province and a deep connection to Canada. Immigrants make up about 4 per cent of the population, compared with 20 per cent nationally.

"The bulk of the electorate has been here for about 150 years or more and they feel very strongly Canadian," said historian Edward MacDonald of the University of Prince Edward Island. "They have been inculcated to a higher degree with those traditional values of citizenship and participation."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/how-pei-gets-out-the-vote/article4192328/

Croats
10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Calgarys most recent vote netted a whopping 30%

Thanks for that intel. just proves my point even more.

Mad Hatter
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for that intel. just proves my point even more.

I never miss an opportunity to vote. Even if, like Calgary's 70% don't see the importance. My issue is that i live in Chestermere, 4km outside of Calgary's most recent annexed and imposed boundary. I have owned and operated a business in Calgary for the last 25 years. I cannot vote in Calgary. Not even for the councillor of the ward in which my business is located. I do believe that this should be changed. At least allow non-resident business owners to vote for the councillor of the ward their business is located in.

walperstyle
11-14-2013, 12:07 AM
I will vote.

Because the current administration got me the TFSA, scrapped LGR, helped my industry thrive, and lowered my taxes. I vote for government that allows hard working individuals to prosper.

awndray
11-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Who will you vote for once they've given your favorite hunting or fishing spots away to First Nations?

Strewth
11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Who will you vote for once they've given your favorite hunting or fishing spots away to First Nations?

Chief Spence.

Croats
11-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Thief Spence.

There fixed, ohh BTW you beat me to the comment ;)
Thanks and proves great minds think alike ...LOL

zguy
11-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Right, vote for people I don't want, just so I can be part of the machine of electing people who don't do anything I want, so I can have the right to complain about them.
Sign me up.

Voiding your ballot is still a valid way to vote.

Mad Hatter
11-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Voiding your ballot is still a valid way to vote.

Great idea! I'll even put my name on it so they know who is dissatisfied.