PDA

View Full Version : cleaning black powder irons?

BrotherRockeye
10-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I just started shooting BP in a BPCR after running smokeless in them for years.
My buddy just picked up his first muzzle loader.
Would like some advice on proper methods of cleaning from those with experience.

So far I just run a mop through to remove the "soot" then a brass brush to get the grooves and an oiled patch.
I'm just cleaning the barrel and so far this method has sufficed.
My buddy has a break action with a removable breach plug and is itching to test run it but doesn't know how to properly clean it and I was no help.

I thought that a cleaning thread would be a good addition so let's hear what you folks do.
A very smart fella said " Ballistol" but I can't find any in Sask.

Let er rip gents and thanks.

Satain
10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
I use brake cleaner then slap a wet oil patch down and around were ever I doused it with the brake clean. Simple, quick and very effective. Now for the more smaller piece (ie a bolt) I drop it into Slip2000. Then shake rattle and roll it out dry then wet it back up with lube. Although now Hornady has that big sonic tub, I might be changing my cleaning techniques.

Dmay
10-28-2013, 01:38 PM
OP - You come on to a public forum and admit to using smokeless powder in a BPCR? Sinner!.....there's a special hell just for guys like you!;D

I just use Windex, the one with vinegar in it is best, on patches, followed by an oil for protection. Should there be any leading, then I use Fluid-Film and a bronze brush to scrub it loose.

BrotherRockeye
10-28-2013, 01:49 PM
thanks gents.
I done a helluva lot worse things in my life than running smokeless in place of BP...an like my old uncle told me when he saw my Remington New Model Army... "you know smokeless powder isn't just a passing fad!"

That said, I'm growing fond of the smoke an ashes of it all.

BrotherRockeye
10-31-2013, 03:38 PM
that's it..?

2 fellas clean their BP irons...

Edenchef
10-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Check this out.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/wcs.html

I started using this technique with my Pedersoli Flintlock back in April. It took a while (at least 10 weeks), before I got clean patches whenever I would run one down the barrel. I would do a quick clean every Sunday night, even if I had not been shooting it during the week and of course cleaning it everytime I would shoot. It has become much easier to clean whenever I shoot and not even a hint of rust ever, anymore. Have a read see what you want to do.

As a professional Chef, I would never use soap or solvents on a properly "seasoned" cast iron skillet. It pulls the oil out of the pores in the metal and then you get rusting. Duh! My flintlock was behaving just like a brand new cast iron pan. What do you think a barrel is made from? So, after careful thought this technique makes complete sense to me. JMHO

Cheers!

Stone Horse
11-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm a newbie (18 months) when it comes to BP. It is my understanding never to use a petroleum based gun oil in the barrel of a BP firearm. The oil residue combines with the black powder during the firing (burning) process at leaves a sticky, hard to clean residue behind. Hot soapy water is the the cheapest and the traditional method of cleaning a BP barrel. Once patched dry, the barrel is then coated with Ballistol or even a patch lube such as Bore Butter to protect the metal from rust.

I have a cap lock muzzle loader and I use a solution of equal parts of 3% peroxide, rubbing alcohol and Murphy Oil Soap to clean the barrel. Works fast. I recall this being the "three patch method of barrel cleaning". I then dry the barrel with a patch then run one patch saturated with Ballistol. Barrel is clean and no rust issues whatsoever.

BrotherRockeye
11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Ballistol in Sk?

Where?

Anyone?

Edenchef
11-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Ballistol in Sk?

Where?

Anyone?

In Canada you have to mail order it from here:

http://www.ballistol.ca/

Cheers!

Edenchef
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
It is my understanding never to use a petroleum based gun oil in the barrel of a BP firearm. The oil residue combines with the black powder during the firing (burning) process at leaves a sticky, hard to clean residue behind.

You are very correct, sir. Only use "natural" oils when working with Black Powder. Animal or vegetable based. My favorite is fish oil, for it's ability to displace water. JMHO

Cheers!

Strewth
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
that's it..?

2 fellas clean their BP irons...

I just used a brush and soapy water, and Bore Butter, it's what dad always did. (Can you still buy this? My last squeezy bottle is low)...all of these dark arts of sulfurous powder are new to me. The seasoning cast iron analogy makes good sense.

BrotherRockeye
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
now we're gettin somewhere!

obliged gents

Stone Horse
11-02-2013, 12:09 AM
You are very correct, sir. Only use "natural" oils when working with Black Powder. Animal or vegetable based. My favorite is fish oil, for it's ability to displace water. JMHO
Cheers!
That's it. Animal or plant based cleaners and patch lube.
Also Ballistol can be ordered from Ballistol.ca, Reliable Gun in Vancouver and Can Am (Canada Ammo).
From Ballistol's website:
FIREARMS - Cleans & dissolves traces of copper, lead, brass, zinc, & tombac. Lubricates & protects firearms, lock, stock & barrel. Forms a film that protects against rust.

BLACK POWDER - Dissolves black powder residues. Emulsifies with water. Mildly alkaline, neutralizes acids. Excellent patch lube.

Ballistol has been around for many, many decades, non-toxic and environmentally friendly. The only 'problem' with Ballistol is the smell. You either like it or hate it. To me it smells like black licorice and I like it. My wife on the other hand can't stand the smell and tells me to take it outside.

10x
01-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Black powder fouling leaves salts and acids, salts and acids absorb water and turn to ions that corrode iron. Salts are not dissolved and removed by oil.

The traditional way to clean black powder guns is to use hot soapy water to dissolve the fouling salts and acids left by the burnt powder. 50% of the product of black powder after it has burnt is a solid. Some of that is acid, some is salt, some is carbon, some are sulphur compounds, and according to one former GOEX employee some of that fouling is from the hardness (minerals) in the water used to make the powder.

Clean with hot soapy water - (clean twice when using perchlorate based Pyrodex) - rinse with hot water, then dry, then oil with your favourite gun oil. Take the lock off and clean behind the lock, Take the barrel off and clean both the stock and the outside of the breech.

I have been shooting black powder for almost 50 years. I have yet to have a black powder gun finish degraded by cleaning with water, nor have I found rust or corrosion on any B.P. guns.

On another note, if you shoot corrosive milsurp ammo the same cleaning regime using hot soapy water works best.