PDA

View Full Version : Value of a pellet pistol in a wilderness survival kit?

pharaoh2
04-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I've been thinking of getting one of those Henry survival rifles for quite some time. The kind that dissassembles and stows in it's stock, to keep in a back pack as one of those just in case items for grocery shopping if somthing ever happens when out fishing or hiking. But this morning I though maybe a higher powered (500 fps) pellet pistol might do the job as well and should take up less room. For potting grouse or squirrels I don't see much of a disadvantage with a pellet pistol, other than a rifle would be easier to shoot. I've even considered tossing a sling shot in there as I used to be quite good with one, so the pistol would be a step above that I think. Any thoughts?

jwirecom109
04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
With the amount the RCMP has been arresting people for airsoft guns and look alikes I would tend to avoid carrying a pellet pistol or bb pistol in the woods. It's not illegal to but they don't seem to understand that.

mlehto
04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Problem is 500 FPS is not really enough to kill small game consistently in my experience.

Bullwhip
04-21-2012, 09:00 AM
He is talking about throwing it in a survival bag as an option in the bush, and it is 100% legal, so I'd say go ahead as long as you use common sense with it.

A pellet pistol would be better than nothing, and as mentioned just ok for plinking at tweeties to put in the pot during a wilderness survival situation. You would really want a close shot and at the melon probably.

Only problem I see would be the CO2. I'd make sure I had more than a few of the cartridges along as well as the pellets. Also, its going to be less energetic at -40'c than at +25'C so you would likely want to take precautions to get the gun warm before use to maximize its effectiveness if you think your survival situation will be in the dead of winter.

I'd still take a Henry .22 or 10/22 take down, over a pellet pistol anyday.

Drache
04-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Pick up a PUMP pellet pistol and not one that takes CO2. That way you never have to worry about running out of CO2.

I bought of these, a crosman backpacker. The stock comes off to create a "pistol" and for easier storage. You can pump it pretty good and everything I've shot has died instantly (grouse and squirrels).

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/aonomus/Air%20Rifles/Overall.jpg

You can get them with out without the scope. Even without they are insanely accurate.

pharaoh2
04-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I'd prefer a pump action as opposed to C02. I'm not worried about legalities as I have no issues educating the authorities when required, and I have done so in the past. The nice thing I see about a pellet gun as opposed to a .22 is I could even keep it in my pack and wander through the national parks without worries of venturing to the wrong side of the law since by definition it is not a firearm. I've owned a few models of pistols before and found them all to be quite accurate, enough for head shots close enough anyways. And with spruce grouse being in the habit of not moving, I can't see that being an issue. Two models I'm interested in are these:

http://www.canadaammo.com/images/T/Webley_Tempest_Pellet_Gun.jpg
http://mdggifts.com/images/Crosman1377C.jpg

Drache
04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
http://mdggifts.com/images/Crosman1377C.jpg

I was happy when they started remaking these, I had an old one given to me as a kid and had many happy memories with it. The only reason I bought the backpack though was it came with a stock for better handling and accuracy.

RobSmith
04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Seems smaller, lighter, and overall easier to just carry a sling shot in a BOB. Same kind of effective range, and ammo is all around.

pharaoh2
04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Not a BOB, Bob...

BrotherRockeye
04-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Problem is 500 FPS is not really enough to kill small game consistently in my experience.

I could get my boy to give you some tips :p
my son kills squirrels and grouse with his old Slavia .177 no reason a good pump air pistol wouldn't work.
Would keep you in victuals in a pinch...throw a wrist rocket in too...not much extra space and like said...ammo is everywhere.

mlehto
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I have no doubt that a squirrel or grouse will be killed most of the time, but in a survival situation why take a chance, and limit yourself to head shots on really small animals? What about other animals that may present themselves like porcupines, groundhogs, beaver, rabbits, etc.

Hell I have hit a grouse square in the chest at 15m with a high velocity .22 lr hollowpoint, and watched it pick up and fly crashing into the bush 25m away. When I found him he had a tennis ball sized hole in his back, and I was in disbelief.

Just makes more sense to have a .22lr handy, and my Marlin youth rifle is so small and lightweight I'd pack it any day over a air pistol.

Another thing to consider is the complexity and reliability of air guns. Seals and springs wear over time, but a single shot or mag fed bolt action .22 is about as simple and reliable as it gets!

blacksmithden
04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I'll have to grab Jr's rifle and see what's involved in getting the stock off. I bought him one of these. The gun is incredibly accurate, really short, and weighs nothing. He loves it...and quite frankly, so do I ! LOL

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/TC_Hot_Shot_22LR_Youth_Rifle_All_Models_For_Sale-2067-53.html

WSS has them, and I think they're cheaper than that...don't quote me on it though.

PhatKD
04-25-2012, 10:24 PM
With the amount the RCMP has been arresting people for airsoft guns and look alikes I would tend to avoid carrying a pellet pistol or bb pistol in the woods. It's not illegal to but they don't seem to understand that.

The arrests you are seeing involving the airsofts, and look alikes are in almost 100% of the times related to an Idictable offence that it was used in the commision of. I have not heard of a single incident where someone was arrested just for the simple fact that they carry one of these.

If anyone would like further clarification I would be happy to explain further.

jrcbecher
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Open carry of a pellet gun will bring cops to your door it may be legal but in all fairness once they get a call man with a gun they go into overdrive and you better be careful or you're going to get shot.

Drache
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I miss the good old days of common sense....

pharaoh2
04-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I wonder how many 'man with a gun' calls have been made about me. I walk to and from my truck with guns all the time. i've had guns in gun racks, guns on my dashboard in the McDicks drive thru, guns on my seats, etc. I once went through an RCMP checkstop in the middle of nowhere with a rifle on the seat next to me, showed the officer my hunting license and then promptly refused to show him my registration certificates when asked. I don't know about you but I'm not affraid of trouble with the law when I have done nothing wrong. And if for whatever reason the law wanted to visit me I also have no problem telling them what's what and how things are. It's statements like those above that show me Canadian gun owners have lost the fight. When their affraid of the police even though they've done nothing wrong they have given in to the PC agenda. I am not affraid and I do nothing wrong, how about you?

RobSmith
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Have had two interactions with the constabulary while firearms were visible in my vehicle that I can recal over a span of about 10 years. First time they didn't so much as raise an eyebrow, the second got a little sportier which included the removal of a firearm from my vehicle but both worked out ok in the end.

I wonder how many 'man with a gun' calls have been made about me. I walk to and from my truck with guns all the time. i've had guns in gun racks, guns on my dashboard in the McDicks drive thru, guns on my seats, etc. I once went through an RCMP checkstop in the middle of nowhere with a rifle on the seat next to me, showed the officer my hunting license and then promptly refused to show him my registration certificates when asked. I don't know about you but I'm not affraid of trouble with the law when I have done nothing wrong. And if for whatever reason the law wanted to visit me I also have no problem telling them what's what and how things are. It's statements like those above that show me Canadian gun owners have lost the fight. When their affraid of the police even though they've done nothing wrong they have given in to the PC agenda. I am not affraid and I do nothing wrong, how about you?

Prairie Dog
04-29-2012, 11:54 PM
What about the new take down 10/22? Still too bulky?