PDA

View Full Version : How To Open A Can Without A Can Opener

Prairie Dog
11-15-2013, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y

I have to admit when I first saw this video by the “Youtube Celebrity” CrazyRussianHacker, my jaw dropped. I was stunned that you can actually open a can of food by just rubbing its top against a piece of concrete! It’s way too easy! *resists the extreme urge to try it out right now*

Cans nowadays are sealed with a roller. It bends the top of the can which creates a crimp (kinda like the way you seal empanadas, or any filled pasta). The friction cuts through the top, which makes it easier for you to open the can. Take note that the open top of the can will be sharp – so please of course use it with caution, or else you will risk cutting yourself!

If you got lost in the woods or in a desert and you only have canned food in your bag, you will have to find a small boulder or rock that has a flat surface. If you’re using a bigger can, you might need more time to get it to open. This technique is really cool and it’s one of those survival tips that you really need to learn.

http://off-grid.info/blog/how-to-open-a-can-without-a-can-opener-amazing/

Strewth
11-15-2013, 01:56 AM
I did not know this...looks like a better result than hacking with a knife, too.

DOA
11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I did not know this...looks like a better result than hacking with a knife, too.

Funny how quick we complicate the simple. I've always used a knife too

Camo tung
11-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I wanted to see them open the spam can of ammo the same way, see if the crimp is as thin....might actually be a useful method.

Canuck
11-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Who knew? Very cool.

lone-wolf
11-15-2013, 01:40 PM
cat gonna survive too!

stevesummit
11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Compared to when they sealed cans with lead this is a cool trick

DOA
11-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I wanted to see them open the spam can of ammo the same way, see if the crimp is as thin....might actually be a useful method.

I'm gonna try it but probably not till spring!

Xtreme
11-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Whale oil beef hooked! That's probably the most useful thing I've learned today. (it was a slow day, but that's still pretty darned useful)

Prairie Dog
11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Whale oil beef hooked! That's probably the most useful thing I've learned today. (it was a slow day, but that's still pretty darned useful)

....and you have minions to do the heavy lifting. :)

RobSmith
11-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Good luck trying to do that in the bush using a rock ...

Strewth
11-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Good luck trying to do that in the bush using a rock ...

If I had nothing else to do I'd try it:)....I'm going to try and remember this for next camping season, sounds like a good way to get outside a couple of drinks. Maybe a race?

Edenchef
11-16-2013, 01:54 PM
But if it was canned bacon.......I would tear it open with my teeth! More motivation.

Cheers!

blacksmithden
11-16-2013, 03:48 PM
I was SO disappointed !!! Where are the explosives ?!?!!? :D

Asphalt Cowboy
11-16-2013, 04:05 PM
saw that the other day .. wonder if your tuna has a metalic taste after that ??

Edenchef
11-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I was SO disappointed !!! Where are the explosives ?!?!!? :D

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u539/Edenchef/014_zps02f5ad49.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Edenchef/media/014_zps02f5ad49.jpg.html)

Aahh, yes! The Holy Black, all natural ingredients, and no metallic aftertaste! Feel better now, BSD?

Cheers!

webster
11-16-2013, 06:58 PM
cat gonna survive too!

Eat the cat first, more cans for you! :tounge:

jrcbecher
11-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Neat idea but wear gloves those lids could give you a serious cut

Strewth
11-17-2013, 10:27 AM
saw that the other day .. wonder if your tuna has a metalic taste after that ??

Eh, if your in a situation where you have no knife, and it's either tuna or the cat, a little iron is probably good for you:). And if it's nice and shardy it'll get into your bloodstream that much quicker! Win-win!

zguy
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM
This is an old trick. Learned it in cadets surviving camp years ago and used it a couple of times. Yet, it is a good post for those who didn't know.

As for the knife, if you're that stuck and don't have one, you're in a real bad position. In my case, I carry one all the time.

Asphalt Cowboy
11-24-2013, 12:25 AM
never seen a rabbit or a chicken come in a can ... am I weird ?? LOL

lone-wolf
11-24-2013, 07:32 PM
never seen a rabbit or a chicken come in a can ... am I weird ?? LOL

Oh man, you want to see something disgusting? Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP74xUyYaoo

road kill
11-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Well now i have to build a new house, one with a concrete basement. Don't think that method will go over well when the wife wants a salmon sandwhich and i hide the can opener.

Strewth
11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Well now i have to build a new house, one with a concrete basement. Don't think that method will go over well when the wife wants a salmon sandwhich and i hide the can opener.

lol! Maybe just a concrete cutting board for Christmas? Bet she'd never guess what it is by shaking it close to her ear!

Strewth
11-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Oh man, you want to see something disgusting? Check out this video...

Yaaay! Now that the knowledge has been imparted, maybe we can sidetrack this into a weird-a$$ stuff in cans thread! This one's for tigrr, in case his cholesterol is kinda low today:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VcUjYi62Jds/S4f4p-9JcVI/AAAAAAAAAEc/2Xjg9ehnVbE/s400/slide_4997_69220_large.jpg

You can give this to your wife in her stocking, road kill, to go with her cutting board. It's the giving, not the receiving.

Tok-man
11-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I saw this on another site a while back and was waiting to paste it here until I had a chance to try it myself. Which I did this past week away. I didn't get any pics, as I more or less made a mess of myself, but yes it does work, and on a smoothish surface like concrete works rather neatly and cleanly like in the video.

I, however, am not a suburbanite, so I tried a few other things...

a Rounded fieldstone of granite, about basketball size... worked quickly, although almost too quickly I had to be very careful after the first pass as the can was already oozing, and to work around enough to open it was rather messy

same stone, but with an inplace rotation, back and forth like a firedrill worked extremely well, and said can went from slightly scuffed to a little dampness to empty on the ground in mere seconds.

a slab of fairly smooth limestone. similar results as with the concrete, but since it is softer, it took quite a few passes, and the when I got it opened there was a fine white dust inside.

Barbed wire fence. At one point out hunting, I hadn't seen anything and had a hunger going. so rather than use the pull tab on a can of sardines, I started scratching it along the fence. It was awkward, but worked almost as easily as the concrete.

The back of my knife. I've opened a million cans just by stabbing through and waka waka, around like the old style can openers, but everyone knows that that is inherently dangerous on a good day, especially with some of those cans, but just scraping it across the seal over and over, scrape/turn/scrape/turn, did a decent job at removing material, and also had the can open rather quickly and easily.

On an aisde, I'm sure others have tried to heat the contents of a can over a fire or stove without the benefit of a pot, and know how inherently dangerous and messy it can be. (Think large can of beefaroni inside a fifth wheel trailer) But if you scratch the lid like this (any agregate) until it's just, and I mean just starting to open up, THEN put it into the fire, the steam will vent through rather easily without bubbling all over the place, assuming you don't have it in too too hot of a fire.
By picking the can up by the top with a rag, you can give it a decent shake again without making a mess or burning yourself. a few heat and shake cycles and you can have hot rather than mostly frozen canned food.

disclaimer: no new cans were harmed during these experiments, I used only old stock regularly scheduled to rotate out of my pantry.

and for Strewth...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/fishAholes.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/Pantry/fishAholes.jpg.html)

Strewth
11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
^Heh, cans in the fire: For years I had a Zoodle giraffe shaped scar on my inner elbow. Thanks for the testing Tok-man, I'm going to try the back of a knife...sounds a lot safer than the front, as you say.

Yoshin
12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
I know Glock made a knife...but didn't they make a can opener too? :shoot:

Every Swiss Army Knife and Multitool I own has a can opener and I have about 20 P38/P51 military can openers that fit on a key chain so I think I am good.

Sabio
12-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Figures there is always the guy that knew about this all along.

But never told anyone.

birtch3
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Neat tip.

rci2950
01-01-2014, 09:54 AM
better then jumping on it till it busts