PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP reloading issue

YukonLeftie
11-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Now that I finally managed to get my supplies together, I am slowly figuring out how to reload. I have as follows -
Winchester shells
Hodgon Clays Powder
45 RN BB 230 grain (Thanx again Rusty Wood!)
RCBS 3 die set 45 ACP RN SWC
after punching out the old primers, reprimering, powdering and inserting the lead, i noticed something peculiar - the shells/hulls are slightly deformed; expanded where the lead has been pushed in. Depth is correct. Ive only done four rounds; each exhibit this condition to varying degrees. Cycling my Ruger SR1911 instantly shows difficulty feeding; havent actually fired the rounds as of yet.

What did I screw the pooch on?

mlehto
11-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

This will take out any remaining flare on the case and will help feeding.

The little bit of bulge in the case at the base of the bullet is normal.

mlehto
11-15-2013, 06:24 AM
You could try flaring the case mouth less first. It only needs just enough to allow a bullet to slide into the case without shaving lead or copper off the bullet.

My experience with 45 is that the Lee FCD is the way to go. But it only needs the slightest crimp to greatly improve feeding.

A good way to test your rounds is by removing the barrel from the gun and making sure rounds drop in and out of the chamber easily.

Rory McCanuck
11-15-2013, 09:28 AM
You don't mention anything about crimping, it is needed to remove the bell in the mouth.
Your seating die should do the job well enough, but the Lee FCD is nice, you don't need to fool with the seating die settings.
45 headspaces off the casemouth, so you don't want to squish it down too much; straight plus skosh (tech term ;) )

As for the bulge, is it partway down the case, where the base of the bullet sits?
If so, no problem. It is unsightly but won't hurt anything.
My personal belief is it might cock the case over a touch and effect accuracy, but we're talking thousandths of an inch.
I was getting some wicked bulges with my 444, so I backed the sizing die out a bit.
It isn't sizing it down as far, so the bullet isn't expanding the case as it goes in.
So long as it still gives sufficient bullet tension and feeds well, no problems.

Two things for you to look at.

Canuck
11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Does your RCBS die set come with a roll crimp or tapered crimp with the seating die? That is hugely important. As Rory mentioned the .45 acp headspaces on the case mouth. If you roll crimp it, you just changed your headspace. If you use a taper crimp you can set it up perfectly. It will feed beautifully and the headspace will be correct. I would avoid the factory crimp die. Big mistake on the .45. You can buy a taper crimp separately if you need to but most modern RCBS die sets have the taper crimp built into the seating die. Use a micrometer and your manual to get the taper crimp to specs. It's not hard, just takes a little patience but pays off hugely as your rounds will feed every time.

Camo tung
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
As mentioned already, taper crimp is needed. Will feed better out of the mag and will chamber properly on the case mouth.

YukonLeftie
11-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Well Crap. Yup, I do not have a Crimp Die. Took my Ruger apart and test fit into the chamber; definitely not a perfect fit. Time for a WTB ad it seems.

Rory McCanuck
11-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Pretty sure your seating die should crimp for you.
Put a case with powder charge and bullet seated to the right depth.(Actually, I usually set it with an empty, that way nothing can possibly interfere, but a full one will work as well.)
Back the seating stem out a couple turns, and screw the die in until you feel it touch the case mouth.
Give it a 1/12 of a turn at a time until the mouth is crimped to your satisfaction.
Now screw the seater stem down till it hits the bullet tightly, and you're set.
The die will now seat and crimp a bullet in one step.
Personally, I've had better luck doing it in two steps.
Seat all the bullets, then go back and crimp them all.
Only takes an extra minute or two.

arancio
11-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Your seating die will perform a roll crimp if it is set low enough. Stop short of that and it will only remove the flair. You may notice that factory rounds are not crimped. It is best to put the round through a Lee Factory Crimp Die with out actually performing the crimp function. This die is also a Full Length Resizing die and should only be used as such. Once the resizing has been done the ball will not move from it's final position without a lot of effort, pull or push.

Tilley
12-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure your seating die should crimp for you.
Put a case with powder charge and bullet seated to the right depth.(Actually, I usually set it with an empty, that way nothing can possibly interfere, but a full one will work as well.)
Back the seating stem out a couple turns, and screw the die in until you feel it touch the case mouth.
Give it a 1/12 of a turn at a time until the mouth is crimped to your satisfaction.
Now screw the seater stem down till it hits the bullet tightly, and you're set.
The die will now seat and crimp a bullet in one step.
Personally, I've had better luck doing it in two steps.
Seat all the bullets, then go back and crimp them all.
Only takes an extra minute or two.

100 percent agree with this. I usually load for 9mm using the Lee set but have helped a friend run some 45 ACP using RCBS and found running a separate step for crimping worked wonders for his Sig 1911. And that bulge....yup that the winchester brass doing its thing. I get the exact same bulge with Winchester brass but Federal not so much. YukonLeftie, you might also want to get yourself a nice Casegauge, Dillon makes good ones and you can get them from John at Custom Reloading in Maple Ridge.

YukonLeftie
12-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Picked up the RCBS Factory Crimp die and problem is corrected. Now to figure out what is the problem with my 303 reloads (different topic)...

But thanx again guys!

Aaron
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
One other things you can do if you don't have a case gauge is take the barrel out of th gun you will be using and drop a round in the empty barrel. Do this with the barrel out of the firearm for 2 reasons 1 being quite obvious and the other so you can visually see where exactly its seated
I had issues with my hand loads and my 1911 so I adjusted the depth and it was good then. I hope I was able to help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

nut4redwine
12-14-2013, 11:00 PM
+1 with Mlehto.
Had the same issue and it got fixed with Lee Factory Crimp dies.
All my 9mm and .45 are finished with one.
Check for Lee part no. 90864.