PDA

View Full Version : Type 97 with FTU Optics Recommendation?

HarblWarbl
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey guys,

I've heard the T97 is pretty accurate for what it is and I've been able to get some decent groups with just the irons but I'm thinking of investing in the Flat Top Upper and getting a quality/decent optic.

Now I don't have much experience with optics and I'm wondering what you guys would suggest.
Budget is around $300-500 I suppose.

I'd like to be able to reach out to 300 yards with some quality reloaded ammo and possibly even further someday if the rifle allows it.

What do you think?

Thanks guys

Strewth
11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Welcome to GOC!
I have no experience with the rifle, but what is your purpose intended with the platform at that distance? Handloads and smallish groups? Man sized target? For the former I'd suggest a fixed power scope (10x Bushnell with rings slides in your budget easily), for the latter I'd be tempted towards a low power variable; Bushnell (again, sorry, off the top of my head here:) there's many other reputable brands, of course)1x4 on a PEPR mount, maybe?

Mikthaniel
11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
What kind of aesthetics are you hoping to stick to?

Standard scopes, short scopes, ACOG style etc.

Mikthaniel
11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Welcome to GOC!
I have no experience with the rifle, but what is your purpose intended with the platform at that distance? Handloads and smallish groups? Man sized target? For the former I'd suggest a fixed power scope (10x Bushnell with rings slides in your budget easily), for the latter I'd be tempted towards a low power variable; Bushnell (again, sorry, off the top of my head here:) there's many other reputable brands, of course)1x4 on a PEPR mount, maybe?

I have had nothing but good experience with all 5 of my Bushnells... Expectations paired with price point obviously...

HarblWarbl
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Yeah, paper punching and maybe coyote hunting someday are the desired purposes.
As for aesthetics, standard scope would work fine, the FTU seems to offer a pretty good amount of railspace.

Strewth
11-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Standard scope? Then I would get decent rings, say, Burris Z Rings for ease of mounting, ability to add elevation, and lack of scratching, and then buy the best scope I could afford at the time. $500 gets you a new Leupold, or smaller Sightron, or look for a decent used scope? I've bought my share of cheapies, and now I'll just transfer what I have between rifles...and speaking of transferring between rifles, QD rings are a popular option with all the pic railed rifles out there?

Satain
11-21-2013, 12:09 AM
I own it.
Won't get better than 2 moa for about 2 10 round mags. As after it heats up the groups open up. The FTU does seam like a great starting point for this rifle platform accessories but I know how with 3 roll pins no one would have to chop there iron sights and still have the same looks as the ftu but Frank would never listen to me any ways.

HarblWarbl
11-21-2013, 06:42 AM
I own it.
Won't get better than 2 moa for about 2 10 round mags. As after it heats up the groups open up. The FTU does seam like a great starting point for this rifle platform accessories but I know how with 3 roll pins no one would have to chop there iron sights and still have the same looks as the ftu but Frank would never listen to me any ways.

I'm under the impression the irons need to be clipped in order to lower the rail height. Otherwise standard optics would be less than optimal.

Satain
11-22-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm under the impression the irons need to be clipped in order to lower the rail height. Otherwise standard optics would be less than optimal.
Not if you know how to machine a piece properly to have both worlds and no need 4 screws. But then again he would have to talk to me first and that would be a miracle in it's own right.