My father's POL expires in 2014.
Will they renew it as a POL?
Does he have to get a PAL?

Rory McCanuck
11-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Why wouldn't they renew it as a POL?

Coke
11-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I believe he can renew it as a POL, but if it ever expires, then he has to get a PAL. Not sure though, call the CFC or CFO and they may be able to help (I say that as they seem to know less than we do at times)...

lone-wolf
11-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Why wouldn't they renew it as a POL?

I heard(I can't believe I'm starting a sentence that way :() that the POL is being done away with.

Prairie Dog
11-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Q. Is the Possession-Only Licence (POL) still available?

Firearm owners whose POL expired on or after January 1, 2004, may be eligible to apply for a new POL, if they meet the following criteria:

They previously held a POL which expired naturally (was not revoked or refused);
They are in possession of at least one firearm; and
They meet all public safety requirements in order to possess firearms.

Eligible individuals who have maintained a valid address with the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) will be sent a new POL application.

Eligible individuals who have not received an application or who are unsure if they have updated their addresses are encouraged to call the CFP’s toll-free number: 1-800-731-4000. It is essential to notify the CFP of any address changes to ensure renewal notices and other important CFP information are received.

Previous POL holders with a PAL application still in process may apply for a new POL under this initiative. Individuals who have had a POL refused or revoked are not eligible to apply for the new POL. These individuals, and any other former POL-holders who do not meet the eligibility criteria above, must go through the Possession and Acquisition Licence application process.

Grandfathering privileges for prohibited firearms are permanently lost when a POL expires. They cannot be reinstated after obtaining a new POL. In these situations, prohibited firearms must be lawfully disposed of. Guidance on how to lawfully dispose of a firearm can be obtained through one of the contact options listed below.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/lic-per-eng.htm#b1

lone-wolf
11-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing there's no way to go from a POL to a PAL without taking the course?

My PAL expires for the first time this year, what's that going to cost me? An arm? Leg? Both?

Prairie Dog
11-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Q. How do I upgrade from a Possession-Only Licence (POL) to a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)?

This upgrade requires a new application on form RCMP 5592 and a new photo, as well as evidence that you have met the safety training requirements.

To be licensed for restricted firearms, individuals must also have passed the tests for the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). If they successfully completed the CFSC before February 1, 1999, when it included information on restricted firearms, they are deemed to have completed both courses.

If an individual took a firearm safety course but is not sure if it is the one they need, or if they need help in finding out where to take the tests or course and tests in their area, they should call 1-800-731-4000.
Q. I have a firearms licence. If I apply for a new licence to upgrade my licence privileges, do I need to pay the full licence fee for my new licence?

To determine the current fee structure, applicants should contact the Canadian Firearms Program by calling 1-800-731-4000.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/lic-per-eng.htm#b1

It was $85.00 to renew my RPAL.

lone-wolf
11-29-2013, 06:50 PM
It was $85.00 to renew my RPAL.
Man, being law abiding is getting expensive.

If you meet the safety requirements to possess a POL, you'd think you would also meet the requirements to possess a PAL?

CDNGN
03-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I used to have a POL when they changed from the FAC years ago. I owned at the time, and still do, a Glock 17. I upgraded to the RPAL in early 2013, and had to take the course to do so. If I did not want to upgrade, l could have just renewed POL. hopefully this helps.
The cost to renew the POL was the same as the PAL

Mad Hatter
03-20-2014, 10:07 PM
My PAL expires for the first time this year, what's that going to cost me? An arm? Leg? Both?

You're going to send in the renewal 3 months early by registered mail and it will be misplaced or lost, or at any rate the process will be delayed and you will get it in 6 months, meaning you will be a criminal in illegal possession of firearms and subject to immediate arrest and imprisonment for 3 months. (sarcasm emoticom here)

BrotherRockeye
03-21-2014, 10:09 AM
no need for the sarcastic emoticon MH...that's pretty much what happened with me.
The feds ran my renewal through np but it sat with the SK cfo until I was a criminal and beyond.
wasn't until I started phoning and bugging them constantly that they stamped it and sent it through.

and that was a simple PAL renewal....

road kill
03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Hey lone-wolf i do firearms tests, send me a plane ticket and feed me and i'll run you through the challenge test. I won't even charge the test fee. ;D

Haywire1
03-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Hey roadkill what part of sask you in? May be making a trip to see the parents in swift wouldnt mind upgrading to rpal. Just a challenge

road kill
03-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Haywire 1 i'm 1.5 hrs drive south of Saskatoon on the west side of Lake Deifenbaker. Or 1.5 hrs drive north and a little east of Speedy Creek. Kind of in no mans land. :bananna:

Haywire1
03-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Well next time I am out at speedy creek maybe I will get ahold of you if your around.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

BrotherRockeye
03-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I never bothered with my RPAL when the new system was put in and I miss my old Blackhawk... :(

I'm only 3.5 hours away....maybe we should plan for a group challenge...and some fishing...

road kill
03-22-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't do the restricted course but have a young fellow close by that does. I have resricted firearms but can't teach that class, go figure.

BrotherRockeye
03-22-2014, 09:04 PM
so... hows the fishing..? ;D

road kill
03-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Fishing on Diefenbaker can be good or poor depending on your ability to find said fish. My ability ranges from mediocre to terrible.:Beer time: This works best for finding fish.;D Didn't go hard water fishing this year and some guys had good luck one day the next nadda. Lots of different species from perch to jacks. Bring your own dynamite or what ever explosive works best for your style of fishing.

BrotherRockeye
03-23-2014, 08:32 AM
that about sums up my experience on Dief. over the years.
Every body has their "secret spot" but it's always been boom or bust for me and dynamite would be a better boom! ;D
I have good fishing minutes away in 3 directions from home so I'm pretty lucky that way.

oops...kinda de railed this thread a bit...sorry OP...my bad.