PDA

View Full Version : Building a 7.5" AR. Gas tube, carbine length?

TrevorF
11-29-2013, 02:04 PM
I can only assume that they take carbine length tubes since I've never seen a shorter tube. Am I correct?

Cheers,
Trevor

Satain
11-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Nope you can get 1 already made for it. Also you will have to change your spring buffer weight.

TrevorF
11-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah I just read that it takes a pistol length tube. Change the spring and buffer weight to what? Heavier or lighter?

ReignCzech
11-29-2013, 11:07 PM
heavier, HH or double heavy to start off, heavier carbine action spring, or go with a hydraulic buffer/dampener is better, much more costly.
you can get the short straight gas tubes, pistol length, S'd gas tubes and pig tailed, for the shortys, depending on the handguard or free float and gas block is chosen, and cost as well.
though the latter are for slowing rate of fire of select fire, with additional buffer.

TrevorF
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Could the potential reliability issues also be solved with an adjustable gas block?

ReignCzech
11-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Could the potential reliability issues also be solved with an adjustable gas block?

yeah that's one of the option in what i meant in the gas block chosen. you're still going to need a double heavy or more buffer, a strong/gauge carbine action spring is recommended as well.
you'll know the difference shooting it. It's not a reliabilty issue , more a rate of fire/ action cycling issue in timing and action/operation, and buffering if going with the straight transfer setup from a pistol length barrel and straight gas tube with the stock buffer and carbine action spring. The setup changed over with short barrel assy will work for semi only, but it ( unlocking, extracting, ejecting, cocking, loading, locking )will be worked hard and fast ( bolt carrier and bolt gas rings, gas key, and there will be action spring and buffer 'boing-er-ring' heard and felt with the regular receiver extension/buffer tube parts).

Sabio
11-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Buy one. Alot easier. $750 here (http://www.irunguns.com/product.diamondback-firearms-223-rem556-nato-pstl-75-barrel-odg-cerakote-68). It is even cera-coated for you

Satain
11-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Buy one. Alot easier. $750 here (http://www.irunguns.com/product.diamondback-firearms-223-rem556-nato-pstl-75-barrel-odg-cerakote-68). It is even cera-coated for you
Ask for EE access so you can post adds.
Cause pic's speak louder than words ;)