PDA

View Full Version : So I've been convinced to get a 6.5x55... Which one?

Grizz Axxemann
12-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Preferably something I can have up and running for under a grand.

I've done some poking around, and it looks like Sako, Tikka, CZ and Zastava all have offerings. If I'm missing one, feel free to mention it.

I haven't seen too many prices on the aforementioned brands and I did a quick google run, I know the Sako is going to be way out of my league, regardless of how awesome the gun might be. The Tikka is doable, but I'll either have to go over on glass (not *THAT* big of a deal, since I basically have until next fall to get this done) or cheap out on the scope. The CZ looks to be in the middle.

The Zastava on the other hand, I'm not too familiar with. Trade-Ex has them for sale, and they run for just under $700. A smidgen lower than one of the prices I found on a T3 lite.

I could go with a "surplus" rifle, but I've read that they might not be up to handling the hotter loads. I'd also prefer something that has a fresher bore.

Last option is to pick up a barrel for my Savage 110 that's been collecting dust for a few years and is finally torn apart thanks to Mr. BSD. I'm just not sure the bolt head will work without a little massaging/fine tuning.

Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one. Let's see who has one that smells good.

Satain
12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
If your not going Sako then CZ all the way.

Grizz Axxemann
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Trust me, I'd get the Sako if I could AFFORD it. Mind you, if I decide against going to the race track with the bike this year I could probably do it. But I need some track time. :)

superbrad
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Tradex has some really nice 6.5x55 Husqvarnas for sale.....

Satain
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Never shot a Husqvarna before. Can you give me the 411 on them?

superbrad
12-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Never shot a Husqvarna before. Can you give me the 411 on them?

Really well built, nice wood and bluing.... somewhat heavy as with most blued and wood setups.... If you are like me and you like to refinish and tinker they are a dream... Most of the ones Tradex has come drilled and tapped and weaver bases are readily available...

Camo tung
12-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Really well built, nice wood and bluing.... somewhat heavy as with most blued and wood setups.... If you are like me and you like to refinish and tinker they are a dream... Most of the ones Tradex has come drilled and tapped and weaver bases are readily available...

They have the "military" stepped barrel if looks are an issue but for a hunting gun it's a great foundation to start with. There are all sorts of cautions on the intra-web regarding hot loads in early M96 actions and just as many posts from handloaders that have worked up a decent load in their rifle that has a bit more jam then a factory load but still under maximum pressure. For a budget build I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Gomgat
12-03-2013, 05:10 PM
If your not going Sako then CZ all the way x 2

Grizz Axxemann
12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Tradex has some really nice 6.5x55 Husqvarnas for sale.....

I was looking at those too, but I'm unsure of the condition.

That being said, this particular gun is going to be more than just a hunting rifle. I plan on using it for some redonkulously long range gopher shooting, coyote smashing and shooting targets that are way out there to see if I can. I know, I know... I can do that with damn near ANY gun, but there's just something awesome about a 6.5mm caliber. Could it be the laser flat trajectory that has me drooling?

Grizz Axxemann
12-03-2013, 07:48 PM
They have the "military" stepped barrel if looks are an issue but for a hunting gun it's a great foundation to start with. There are all sorts of cautions on the intra-web regarding hot loads in early M96 actions and just as many posts from handloaders that have worked up a decent load in their rifle that has a bit more jam then a factory load but still under maximum pressure. For a budget build I don't think you can go wrong with one.

See, knowing me, I'd want something that's going to hold up to LOTS of jam. Hence my penchant for a slightly more modern rifle.

road kill
12-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I would be torn between the CZ and Tikka. If you could find a shop with both to fondle and see which fits best that would be ideal. I have a t3 in 204 and it is great to carry, not sure what the kick would be like in a larger caliber.

Satain
12-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I would be torn between the CZ and Tikka. If you could find a shop with both to fondle and see which fits best that would be ideal. I have a t3 in 204 and it is great to carry, not sure what the kick would be like in a larger caliber.
You will find that Tikka uses similar stuff to Sako but I am partial to the wood and steel that CZ provides. Sounds like to me your getting a Tikka ;)

Grizz Axxemann
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Given how beautiful the Sako and CZ are, I'd feel guilty for packing such a gorgeous looking gun through the bush, having it get banged up, scraped, etc. I'd prefer a synthetic stock for that reason myself. Or at least an ugly beechwood stock.

Chewbacca
01-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I had a 6.5x55 in a Tikka synthetic stock and it was a good shooter but it was a bit short in the LOP for me. I had my old Carl Gustav out with it one day and found a huge difference in the recoil, wood versus synthetic. I bought a CZ 550 Lux and after a few rounds decided to put the tikka up for sale. I really like the wood stocks.When I put the the CZ up to my shoulder there is no looking around for sights or scope it is right there. For my build I finds CZ fits the best. If you can find someplace that has both or buds withs Tikka and CZ try them on for size and feel. I have to agree that my CZ is nice but I didn't buy it to sit in the safe. Dings and scratches give them character. Good luck on your choice.

Looky
01-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Sniff around for an old Ruger 77, Remington Classic or an old M65 or the duplicate Ithaca.
You don't need a heavy rifle in this chambering.

Gomgat
01-01-2014, 10:30 PM
I have a CZ 550 in 243 and one in 7x57.
I have the 550 FS in 9.3
So I am maybe a little biased.

I have had a few Tikka's they are accurate but ugly.
I have one Husqvarna and it's a good rifle but needs a bit of work.
Zastava seems ok, I handled two if them, but rough/utilitarian but it will be nicer than any savage/Stevens rifle any day of the week

superbrad
01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
I just booked a timberwolf hunt and am now in the same boat as you... looking for either a 6.5x55 or a .257 Roberts but leaning towards the 6.5x55 for ammo price and availability..... Went in to Tradex over the weekend (They let you do that with an appointment) and handled the Zastavas and really liked them... That being said, I already own a Zastava in .22lr and a Rem 799 in .223 which is a Zastava action in a Boyd's synthetic stamped rem....

The blueing on the is gorgeous and Tradex has many in stock... at $695 for a blued rifle with wood stock these are hard to beat..... Tradex is about half an hour from me so if you decide to go that route, let me know and I could go through their stock and find you one with nicer wood....

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/zastava-commercial-m98-m70-65x55-6

AdamW
01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm in the process of re barreling a savage 110 from 30-06 to 6.5x55. I really like this cartridge plus i can use it down here where i live.

Looky
01-08-2014, 10:57 PM
My Blonde.......

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt225/kamlooky/Tikka%20M65%206point5x55/DSC06109_zpscf640311.jpg (http://s614.photobucket.com/user/kamlooky/media/Tikka%20M65%206point5x55/DSC06109_zpscf640311.jpg.html)

connexion123
01-09-2014, 07:36 PM

robinpeck
08-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Given how beautiful the Sako and CZ are, I'd feel guilty for packing such a gorgeous looking gun through the bush, having it get banged up, scraped, etc. I'd prefer a synthetic stock for that reason myself. Or at least an ugly beechwood stock.

I must disagree. That's like saying you shouldn't marry a beautiful woman because she might get wrinkles some day.

I just bought this Sako Model 85 Bavarian Carbine in 6.5 x55 SE. I used to shoot featherweight rifles in various calibers from 30-06 to H+H .375. But my shoulder won't take it anymore, so this is my official "old guy with an arthritic shoulder" rifle. The first group I shot was with discount brand factory ammo, 140 grains. Used a favorite old West German Zeiss fixed 4X scope, mounted very low so the front bell just barely/almost touches the barrel.. I easily put 10 shots into 1.5 inches, waiting just a few minutes between each shot.

Ten shots.

It is a relatively heavy rifle (for its size) and is chambered in a mild recoil cartridge. This, plus its very good single set trigger, combines to make it very easy to hit with. So far all 5 shot groups with factory ammo are sub 1 inch. And all my old Sako stuff, peep sight and original old style Sako rings, etc. bolts right on. I've owned plenty of Swedish Mausers over the years, worked on them, reloaded for them, hunted with them, so I'm relatively familiar with the 6.5, but this Sako was so close to being my ideal rifle that I thought I'd treat myself. Yes, it cost a small fortune, but the good stuff usually does.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Internet_Explorer_Wallpaper_4_.jpg

Prince Jimmy
12-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Here is a pic of my Husqvarna 6.5x55...I don't find it heavy at all...It's only 20" on the barrel but it looks longer in this picture.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/husky/husky_zps57faebf6.jpg (http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/jim13135/media/husky/husky_zps57faebf6.jpg.html)

Cranky1
12-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Just got a tika t3 lite. Can't find anything not to like about it. Lite, very accurate, great trigger, fits well. Can't wait to shoot something with it! Cheers. Oh yes, it is 6.5x55

Lee Enfield
12-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Tikka T3.

Strewth
12-19-2014, 11:46 PM
^Love my Tikka, wish it was in 6.5x55.

kennymo
12-20-2014, 11:26 AM
A couple years back I had a Tikka 6.5x55 in stainless pepper laminate in my hands. I've often regretted not trying to figure out a way to swing that one.... I don't personally care for the synthetic Tikkas, not much for SS either but that one really appealed to me for some reason. Like yourself I'm a budget kinda guy with a ridiculously expensive pastime....

robinpeck
12-31-2014, 01:52 PM
If your not going Sako then CZ all the way.

That's right.

Ballsofice
12-31-2014, 01:57 PM
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/Ballsofice154-1/album%202/SwedeMausers001_zpsf29fe9f8.jpg

I took the short rifle out to push bush a few times, and if your going to get a 6.5x55 you need the original swedes..

Canuck
12-31-2014, 02:15 PM
I have in interest in the 6.5 x 47 Lapua for long range shooting. A friend of mine who is a 6.5 x 55 fanatic is trying to convince me to try that calibre instead. He says it is ideal for long range shooting and cheaper to feed. This is the 6.5 x 55 he is suggesting. I know it's more than you have budgeted for but I thought I would post it for interest's sake:

Tikka T3 Sporter

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/picsalot_2006/Tikkalam_zps5e24005b.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/picsalot_2006/Tikka-T3-Sporter-20-inch_zps1d0e92f4.jpg

Rory McCanuck
12-31-2014, 05:04 PM
So, I guess we're pretty much agreed, you can't really go wrong getting a 6.5? ;D
Doesn't really seem to matter which flavour, or which rifle, although Robin's and Jimmy's are both gorgeous.
I've been thinking long and hard about a 6.5/06, but they don't seem to grow on trees.

I haven't had my Swede out for a while because I really need to scope it to do it justice.
Maybe if it isn't blowing too hard in the morning...