PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of Hunting on Horseback?

Candychikita
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Where can I find information about hunting on horseback in BC, rules/regs etc?

Is it 'unsporting' if you are still mounted?
Is it 'unsporting' if you are in motion?
Do you have to follow the same rules for transporting a firearm if on horseback?
Does your firearm have to be unloaded?
Does your firearm have to be holstered on the saddle somehow or can it be in a sling on your person?

The only thing I know at this point is BCWF insurance doesn't extend to anything on horseback...have to get additional HCBC insurance relating to all things equine.

BrotherRockeye
12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I would check the hunting regs for BC
here in Sk. it pretty much the same as using a quad.
unloaded and encases, can't shoot from the saddle bla bla bla...

Itsneversafe
12-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I have to laugh at the idea of shooting from the saddle. I mean you REALLY got to trust that horse not to spook to let go of the reigns and fire a gun from above its head!!!

Candychikita
12-04-2013, 06:30 PM
http://www.thehorse.com/images/content/earplugs.jpg :D

BrotherRockeye
12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
I have to laugh at the idea of shooting from the saddle. I mean you REALLY got to trust that horse not to spook to let go of the reigns and fire a gun from above its head!!!

You have to train a gun horse...you don't just surprise em with it.
Lots of wrecks in western movies when folks shoot horseback
I had an ugly hammerhead roan a fella could shoot offa. Old Red wouldn't twitch.
There's a big benefit to havin yer arse 5ft in the air when the grass is tall...course 99% of folks fell off and shot themselves so they had to make it illegal...as proved by western movies and mounted cowboy action...

BrotherRockeye
12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I don't recommend layin the rifle between his ears when you shoot either...

oh and it's reins ;)

Prince Jimmy
12-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I've never seen anything in BC regs in regards to firearms on horseback...only on motorized vehicles. I'd think it would take a little practice to be standing on the saddle and making running shots, but from what I've been told it's quite challenging.

snoopycda
12-04-2013, 11:27 PM
I think you better check with the horse first! He will be the first one to set you straight anyway.

Candychikita
12-04-2013, 11:53 PM
all goofiness aside, i went through some absolutely incredible back country not easily accessible by vehicle and encountered quite a few curious deer...in areas i've read people complaining about not being able to find any. the idiot horse i ride is gun broke and is absolutely the dumbest creature alive. it's decided it doesn't go in reverse. and it ate my hat.

YukonLeftie
12-05-2013, 01:49 AM
I happened to mention this to my dad (who grew up on the farm), and legalities aside he noted that if the horse is not 100% trained for gunshots; itll bolt and be home before YOU are. He apparently learned the hard way when his horse bolted to the sound of a D8 cat firing up too close.

Past that; if you can hit anything at range from a horse I will be duly impressed.

sk8r
12-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Tie off your pony before you do anything else. That is experience talking. I grew up in west Tx on my Dad's cattle ranch. When I was 14, a lion was taking some of our stock & my Dad sent me out to track her & kill her. I followed her for maybe 3 hours, and then came across her eating the calf she had taken, about 80 yards ahead of me. I dismounted and aimed my 30-30 over the pony's back, using the saddle as a fore-end rest. Long story short - bang, pony reared and bolted, barrel swung up and broke my nose, took me another 3 hours to get my pony back. And I missed the cat. :red:

The bright side was that, after some surgery, my new nose was WAY prettier than the original.....;D

BrotherRockeye
12-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Has it been so long since horse power came from horses that folks are entirely ignorant to them?
it amazes me how people think that firing a rifle off/near/around a horse without training it for such is anything but foolish...
horses are flight animals 99% of the time.
If they aren't conditioned to something their reaction is to...yup, run away.
you can't expect a saddle horse to stand for a rifle shot any more than a sled dog to do obedience...
you have to train them for the job intended or you will be disappointed at the result.

Candychikita
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
The bright side was that, after some surgery, my new nose was WAY prettier than the original.....;D

bahahahhaha got some before and after pics?

brotherrockeye maybe this is why people moved away from horses...an atv or a truck won't run away from you. nor will it completely ignore your instructions.

shooting off of horseback is actually a sport. there's a market for gun broke horses still:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Mounted_Shooting
http://www.albertamountedshooters.ca/
http://www.ajhorses.com/intro_to_mounted_shooting.aspx
http://www.newmsa.com/

Camo tung
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
"the idiot is broke and is absolutely the dumbest creature alive. it's decided it doesn't go in reverse (ask directions) and it (h)ates my hat".

Some creative editing to illustrate how your 4 legged hay-burner is probably less trouble (and training) than the two legged variety!

Candychikita
12-05-2013, 11:54 AM
"the idiot is broke and is absolutely the dumbest creature alive. it's decided it doesn't go in reverse (ask directions) and it (h)ates my hat".

Some creative editing to illustrate how your 4 legged hay-burner is probably less trouble (and training) than the two legged variety!

bahahaha two leggers need a different approach...they are missing the interdental space for the bit to go. :D most of them anyways. :D

then again, i haven't tried eyelash batting at a horse. i'll let you know how that goes. i can tell you already that buying it a case of beer isn't going to work. :D

BrotherRockeye
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
brotherrockeye maybe this is why people moved away from horses...an atv or a truck won't run away from you. nor will it completely ignore your instructions

that's not why Cc...
a properly trained horse won't run away, or ignore your instructions... or run out of gas. An a motor vehicle won't take you home while you snooze in the saddle...

The tractor spelled the end of the horse, and the migration of people from the land to cities finished the job.
Less people farming more acres...machinery that could do more and not get tired...the need to travel farther, faster...
were all working against the horse.
When my Mom was a child it was a Percheron mare that brought in the cows when she saw the kids coming on their bikes to open the gates.
As a kid I took lunch and a mason jar of water wrapped in a wet towel to the men in the field on the back of a horse.
Horses are more work, so like most things in this world that take time and effort they have been replaced by something easier...not necessarily better...just easier...

that's my 2 cents worth...from a time when pennies counted...

Candychikita
12-05-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01

ok. here's the wildlife act. i have searched for 'horse', 'horseback', 'equine', 'equus', 'riding' - nothing. there are a few 'vehicles'...and i found 'sleigh' referred to in the synopsis...but nothing horseback yet. strange that 'sleigh' was referred to in the synopsis because it's actually not in the bc wildlife act and as far as i know most sleighs if not all of them are not mechanical devices nor propelled by a motor. this part was about having live ammunition in the firearm though, so that might have come from the firearms act directly.

--
Use of conveyance

27 (1) A person who discharges a firearm or wounds or kills wildlife from a motor vehicle or from a boat that is propelled by a motor commits an offence.

(2) A person commits an offence if the person

(a) hunts wildlife from an aircraft, or

(b) uses a helicopter for the purposes of transporting hunters or game, or while on a hunting expedition,

except as authorized by regulation.

(3) A person who herds or harasses wildlife with the use of a motor vehicle, aircraft, boat or other mechanical device commits an offence.

(4) A person who hunts game within 6 hours after being airborne in an aircraft, other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft, commits an offence.
--

in terms of insurance coverage purposes, being conveyed on or by a horse is not the same as a motor vehicle. again, extra coverage is needed through HCBC if you do anything on horseback. i actually contacted both capris insurance (HCBC equine coverage) and BCWF regarding what exactly was covered a while back because i was hoping bcwf would cover all my outdoor activities.

now i'm really curious. there's no way that there is a loophole here right?

here's the synopsis if anyone wants to be an extra set of eyes:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_front.pdf

BrotherRockeye
12-05-2013, 01:26 PM
if it's not stated in the regs...might wanna contact your local fish cop for verification. BC has a pile of country that still gets hunted with pack horses...they might be horse hunter friendly still.
As a comparison, our regs say
(it is an offense to)carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle or while on horseback.

Camo tung
12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
bahahaha two leggers need a different approach...they are missing the interdental space for the bit to go. :D

Or the loving "caress" of the twitch. That has to be a bugger of a way to learn a lesson.

Xtreme
12-05-2013, 03:42 PM
An a motor vehicle won't take you home while you snooze in the saddle...

My dad had a friend that used to ride over to our farm on Saturday afternoons and drink until midnight. Usually by the time he left he couldn't even walk, but that damned Tennessee Walker got him home every time – about a five mile ride through the bush, door to door. His wife would wake him up and get him off the horse.

BrotherRockeye
12-05-2013, 04:17 PM
My dad had a friend that used to ride over to our farm on Saturday afternoons and drink until midnight. Usually by the time he left he couldn't even walk, but that damned Tennessee Walker got him home every time – about a five mile ride through the bush, door to door. His wife would wake him up and get him off the horse.

it was 16 miles from the closest hotel to my old place years back...missed the ride home on occasion but always got there.

Rory McCanuck
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Or the loving "caress" of the twitch. That has to be a bugger of a way to learn a lesson.
Lol worked on me!

YukonLeftie
12-06-2013, 01:13 AM
that's not why Cc...
a properly trained horse won't run away, or ignore your instructions... or run out of gas. An a motor vehicle won't take you home while you snooze in the saddle...

The tractor spelled the end of the horse, and the migration of people from the land to cities finished the job.
Less people farming more acres...machinery that could do more and not get tired...the need to travel farther, faster...
were all working against the horse.
When my Mom was a child it was a Percheron mare that brought in the cows when she saw the kids coming on their bikes to open the gates.
As a kid I took lunch and a mason jar of water wrapped in a wet towel to the men in the field on the back of a horse.
Horses are more work, so like most things in this world that take time and effort they have been replaced by something easier...not necessarily better...just easier...

that's my 2 cents worth...from a time when pennies counted...

Tis funny you say that Rockeye - my dad's reasons for swearing off horses are almost exactly opposite. When he hit 15 he bought himself a dirt bike and never looked back. To him, motorcycles never spooked, never randomly bucked you off, didnt care if you shoot, and you didnt have to feed it even when yer not using it; nor did it care about being left outside in super cold weather. Funny how it goes eh?

BrotherRockeye
12-06-2013, 08:47 AM
you think horses are bad try dealin with a dozen different minds on a dog team...

YukonLeftie
12-06-2013, 03:33 PM
You should look up the PAWS comics by Doug Urquhart if you havent already; you might enjoy the humor; Rockeye. ;)

Looky
12-07-2013, 06:20 PM
If it's got tits, tail or tires, it'll cause you grief.
Me?
I'll take the one branded Yamaha.

Waterloomike
01-04-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't know if it's legal or not.

I grew up where it must have been legal to shoot packs of wild dogs killing cattle from a horse. Or there was no law concerning such a thing.

You want to be comfortable sitting your horse and your horse sure wants to be used to having shots fired around him.

but I'm pretty sure you knew that. It sure is an outstanding way to hunt and track.

AdamW
01-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Tis funny you say that Rockeye - my dad's reasons for swearing off horses are almost exactly opposite. When he hit 15 he bought himself a dirt bike and never looked back. To him, motorcycles never spooked, never randomly bucked you off, didnt care if you shoot, and you didnt have to feed it even when yer not using it; nor did it care about being left outside in super cold weather. Funny how it goes eh?

I beg to differ that the bikes don't buck you off :p . Hit a section of whops in 3rd wide open.

Back on topic tho, I thought we couldn't shoot off horses the same as we can't shoot out of canoes/boats unless their anchored. Onterrible might be different that out west tho.

BrotherRockeye
01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
in Sk. no loaded iron or shootin horseback...same as a quad or pickup...