PDA

View Full Version : 16" barrel lever actions?

lone-wolf
12-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm curious about the lever actions in a pistol calibre(.44, .357, ect.), easy to carry, decent magazine capacity, powerful cartridges, classic good looks.

Is the Rossi M92 Carbine a decent rifle? It certainly seems decently priced. What other choices are there in 16" or so barrels?

PhatKD
12-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Winchester model 94 "trapper"

JulianK
12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I have an M92 in .45 Colt with the 20" barrel. It's the same action as the 16" though. Honestly, I've never had any issue with it. I also have a pre 64 Winchester 94 in 30-30. The Winchester's action is a bit smoother but it's also coming up to 70 years old! All in all I use the M92 much more and for the price I'd definitely recommend it.

Just my 2 cents.

lone-wolf
12-06-2013, 08:46 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1992/10790285/23923650/401334568.jpg

elKrusto
02-04-2014, 12:36 AM
I have a couple Winchester mod 92 Trappers, they are both 2011 Shot Show specials, one is 357 one is 44mag, they are one of the smoothest actions ever.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd194/64krusty/M1A006_zps8314e1a6.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/64krusty/media/M1A006_zps8314e1a6.jpg.html)

slim
06-24-2015, 01:22 AM
myself, I would stick with marlin, henry or Winchester....heard rossi, puma and chiappa have had issues.....

my buddy picked up a short henry golden boy in .357 MAG......whacks skeet laid out at 100 yards...off the shoulder..all day long....loves it...has had ZERO issues...

Foxer
06-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I have two rossi's, one is a 16 inch barrel in 44 mag. I absolutely love that gun, it's had zero issues and the recoil is surprisingly light. It is MUCH fun to shoot. Younger people and women can shoot it fine as well.

Some rossi's have had 'issues', but they're all the kind that are pretty easy to resolve. For a while there the quality control seemed to slip, and while my second one works just fine, it's not as smooth as my first one. Now - if you got to 'steves guns' there's everything you need including an instructional video to slick that gun up like crazy, and clean up any imperfections.

I would guess that the marlin and such are probably more 'consistently' good out of the box. but to me - the thinness and light weight and pointability of the 92 platform is what short carbines are supposed to be all about and I really do prefer it. So if i'd had to fuss around cleaning mine up to get them to work perfect, I would have been entirely prepared to do that. That's just personal taste tho.

Swampdonkey
06-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I had a Marlin in 44 Mag that wouldn't feed, retailer took it back, said I wasn't the first one to complain.

ROADGLIDE45
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
I've got the Rossi in 44Mag, and it's never failed me and shoots accurate.

webster
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on the Rossis and it's made me a little wary, despite the attractive price point. I'm definitely not opposed to a little gunsmithing, but some of them just seem to be lemons, while others run great. Uberti makes a 16" carbine ...for twice the price.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/images/items/Fullsize/UBE105123.jpg?t=635664906636042331

It's also a '73, not a '92, if that makes a difference to you. Wolverine has them in stock.

You could always buy two Rossis for the price of the Uberti, double your chances of getting a good one. :p

lone-wolf
06-24-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm favouring the marlin's D&T receiver at the moment.
Also thinking of a 1895 instead, the .45-70 seems like a neat cartridge.

Petamocto
06-24-2015, 05:31 PM
I am in exactly this dilemma after my wife had a blast last summer at a Cowboy Action Shoot.

Reports are the Marlin's quality has gone down, which leaves brands like Henry, Rossi, and Winchester.

The Winchesters are rare, but do occasionally pop up for just under $1k.

Rossis can be had for less, but they are average quality. Here's a good review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/chris-dumm/gun-review-rossi-model-92-lever-action-45-colt/

Henry is the gold standard for quality, but the problem is that they are extremely dense/heavy. Fine if you want the feel of the real thing, not fine if you have a tiny wife who can barely shoulder the thing. Henry does have the 12" Mare's Leg, though, which you can mount a normal stock on.

I have chosen to go with the Winchester and try to watch CGN and the Facebook groups when they come out, because I'm in no rush.

If you go with the Rossi you'll be fine if you just want something practical, but if you care about high-quality well-built things you'll likely be disappointed with it.\

Added: Sorry I didn't mention Chiappa, I wouldn't even go close to them after their recent fiasco with their high-cost Wolverine Supply special that they sent out full out rust pitting.

lone-wolf
06-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Not a fan of the henry's tube loading vs the side loading of others.

Petamocto
06-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Not a fan of the henry's tube loading vs the side loading of others.

Well then you're back to the other options I brought forward. What do you want?

Chiappa that has a horrible reputation recently for selling some deplorable firearms?
Marlin that used to have a decent reputation, but one that has been sliding recently?
Rossi that sells an average gun for an average price?
Winchester that doesn't run these off the assembly line anymore, and you'll be lucky to find one?

You're not exactly shopping for a polymer 9mm or anc AR15 here where there are dozens of options, you're talking about a specific type of firearm that only a few companies make.

Foxer
06-24-2015, 09:45 PM
Rossi that sells an average gun for an average price? It's worth pointing out that if you want a great gun at a reasonable price, it takes very little to turn the rossi into something amazing. An hour or so with the right gunsmith and a few extra parts and that gun can be slick as a dream with good sights and great performance and you're still in the 800 dollar range all in.

lone-wolf
06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
When the time comes, I think it's gonna have to be a marlin, inspected before hand if can.
For the ease of adding peep sights, scope, or red dot.
Supposedly marlin quality is on the up swing. We'll see.

kennymo
06-25-2015, 08:03 AM
When the time comes, I think it's gonna have to be a marlin, inspected before hand if can.
For the ease of adding peep sights, scope, or red dot.
Supposedly marlin quality is on the up swing. We'll see.

Rumours (and articles in Calibre) seem to indicate that things are improving as Remington gets their employees properly trained on lever guns. I've looked at a few recent arrivals at the local LGS and haven't stumbled across any as bad as the .35 Remington that turned me off Marlins for a while. I bought a Henry 30-30, and yeah. It's a good firearm, but I hate that forward loading....

coastal
06-25-2015, 08:19 AM
I bought a marlin gbl... Zero quality issues at all, I love it. ;)

road kill
06-25-2015, 10:49 AM
I've been looking at a lever in 357 mag, thinking about selling the DW i hardly ever shoot and need to go to an approved range to do so.:frown1: Kind of leaning towards the Rossi at this time.

Edenchef
06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
I have 2 lever guns for my Cowboy Shooting. One is a Chiappa Model 1892, the other is an Uberti Model 1866. Both are in 45LC, both are from Wolverine Supply with absolutely no problems, right out of the box. The 1892 is a saddle ring carbine, 18 inch barrel and is over 1 1/2 pounds lighter than the 1866 action, for the same barrel length. In fairness though, the 1866 has a much more robust, 1/2 octagon barrel. The biggest difference in performance(other than weight) that I have noticed is that the 1866 doesn't foul out as fast as the 1892. I believe it's because the 1866 action uses an elevator lift to present the cartridge to the chamber vs the 1892 that uses a feed ramp. With moderate chamber fouling, from my Holy Black loads, of course, sometimes the cartridge has difficulty "turning the corner" in the 92. Both guns needed about 100 rounds to "break in" and now function smooth as silk, with no extra tuning/smithing. For a smaller person and heathen smokeless, I believe the 92 would be a great choice and value for the $$$.

lone-wolf
06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Rumours (and articles in Calibre)
Yea, wouldn't you know I just read that article today too.
Receivers falling apart after the first shot! I never thought it was that bad.

I also see a few pre-remlin 1895s for sale used in good shape.

kennymo
06-25-2015, 08:46 PM
^^ I was about to lay money down on that 336 in 35 Rem, glad I was buying in person. At a few feet it didn't look too bad, but in the hands I noticed that they'd missed with the pressed checkering, so they had tossed the stock back in and did it again, horrible overlap. Then I spotted the huge gap between the fore end and the right side of the barrel, and it just went downhill from there... New ones do appear better. Might trade that Henry in yet....

zulu
06-25-2015, 10:00 PM
I got the 336bl in 18" and it's one of my most favourite rifles, I did however have to slick the action a bit and work it in. But it's accurate and reliable (remlin). I would suggest in person buy and from a dealer so that you could exchange of need be. I hope you as pics when all said and done.

Also if your looking in the direction of peeps then check out skinner sights. He's a decent man and ships direct

Rory McCanuck
06-26-2015, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't rule out a new Marlin,if you can handle it in person before buying.
The last one I looked at in the store was a decent rifle.
Stocks more or less fit, the barrel was straight, the metal looked good and the screws weren't mushed.
The wood was laminate, not real pretty and a bit clunky, but there was room to trim a lot of it down, if you were so inclined.
Must easier than trying to put wood back on.

I had opportunity to hold and cycle a Rossi in 45-70 last month.
It was brand new and took considerable 'grunt' to get the bolt moving and cycled, but nothing that an hour with a nail file wouldn't fix.
It was a pretty nice looking rifle, and it sure came up and pointed well.

lone-wolf
06-26-2015, 09:26 AM
I got the 336bl in 18" and it's one of my most favourite rifles, I did however have to slick the action a bit and work it in. But it's accurate and reliable (remlin). I would suggest in person buy and from a dealer so that you could exchange of need be. I hope you as pics when all said and done.

Also if your looking in the direction of peeps then check out skinner sights. He's a decent man and ships direct

It's gonna be a year at least, I'd guess. Once I get a new .22 set up, and a scope for my 308, then the lever becomes the next on my list I think.

lone-wolf
06-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Ah, just seen hickok45's latest video. A 16" barrel version of the marlin 1895, the STP.
5rds of .45-70 in a nice short package!
I'm guessing remlin discontinued it after the take over?

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/02/20/2715794_01_marlin_640.jpg

Petamocto
01-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Reviving this thread from the dead, who wants to sell me a 16" Marlin in 44mag to try out, preferably an older model?

Would consider trading my Ruger 44 Carbine for +/- money depending on what you have.