PDA

View Full Version : Scalloped potatoes Au Gratin

KDX
04-22-2012, 05:12 PM
I had a little nap on the couch today and woke up wanting to make scalloped potatoes for some reason. Weird. My kid isn't the fussiest of eaters but doesn't really like them, but she does like cheese. I googled a recipe and came up with:

Ingredients

4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 onion, sliced into rings
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.

As I was whisking the milk I looked over at the casserole dish and didn't think I had enough liquid so I added more milk and flour (about 1 cup and 1tbsp of flour) and probably doubled the amount of cheese. I'm going to BBQ (grill or whatever) some pork chops with Cavender's (http://www.greekseasoning.com/) Greek Seasoning and probably have a salad and that will be supper tonight. Kind of a weird combo, but I'm sure it will all taste like food.

jwirecom109
04-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Totally trying these thanks :D

Bullwhip
04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
If you like mushrooms, a can of mushroom soup is a nice addition to the above. But am sure it will be tasty as is.

Para-noid
04-22-2012, 07:01 PM
You know...my mom always used American cheese and I always hated potatoes au gratin because of it. yuck. But I bet they are good with real cheese.

Bullwhip
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry Ladybug. Yuck. I can't imagine scalloped potatoes that way.

Yes, real cheddar makes a huge difference. Bonus taste points if you use old cheddar.

KDX
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
They turned out really good except my oven is too hot. I'll cook them at 350 next time because they burnt a little bit. I used a large onion and I will use less next time. I've done them with mushroom soup before and really like them that way but I tried it like this for my kid. It was funny that she said she didn't like them but they were the first things gone off her plate. She had a tough weekend and was a wee bit crabby today.

Forbes/Hutton
04-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Needs bacon.

bellero
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Yummy, Yummy !!