PDA

View Full Version : Practice Rounds

Mad Hatter
12-12-2013, 11:11 PM
What are y'all using? Cheap obviously, but just for practicing at the range.

Found the gun I want. Going to check it out tomorrow to see if it in fact is.

mrg372k9
12-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Norinco until my stash dries up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

RELOAD
12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I seem to have developed a bad flinch and find myself pulling the trigger.need to find the time to get out with the sks and the mil surp to try and correct this problem.

Haywire1
12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Actually for practice rounds MH I recommend the same ammo you intend to use for hunting or whichever. Different ammo does behave differently so dialing in for one ammo, and using another can lead to errors/issues. That said, I use norc surplus atm but I am not hunting atm so is a cheaper alternative in my case.

Drache
12-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Actually for practice rounds MH I recommend the same ammo you intend to use for hunting or whichever. Different ammo does behave differently so dialing in for one ammo, and using another can lead to errors/issues. That said, I use norc surplus atm but I am not hunting atm so is a cheaper alternative in my case.

This is entirely correct although generally for just going out having fun I will buy Federal Blue Box. It's the best ammo I've ever used for the price! Granted I also use it now for hunting too!

A friend of mine uses the blue box stuff for "target shooting" then when hunting season starts he sights his rifle in with the ammo he uses for hunting. Usually isn't really needed but it's a comfort thing.

Strewth
12-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Shotgun practice? I don't hunt with a shotgun, or formally practice skeet or clays, so Winchester Super-X birdshot....lots of it:). Finish a session with 00 buck or slugs just to stay aware of POI and recoil, but mostly birdshot. Hand thrown clays, or a row of milkjugs to run at and fumble reloads with.

Mad Hatter
12-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Shotgun practice? I don't hunt with a shotgun, or formally practice skeet or clays, so Winchester Super-X birdshot....lots of it:). Finish a session with 00 buck or slugs just to stay aware of POI and recoil, but mostly birdshot. Hand thrown clays, or a row of milkjugs to run at and fumble reloads with.

Wow! Finally. A shotgun answer to a shotgun section thread question. Thank you!

Strewth
12-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Wow! Finally. A shotgun answer to a shotgun section thread question. Thank you!

I've been guilty of it too:red:, but yes, reading forum headings makes for better answers:p.

Did you go look at the gun?

lone-wolf
12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
The 100rd bulk stuff(lead birdshot/target loads) @ crappy tire. Haywire's statement still stands, whatever you use for the hunt or whatever the purpose of the shotgun is, should ideally be what you practice with as well.
Reality is not many can afford that.

JustBen
12-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I've been running federal top-guns in number 8. They did a run a couple years ago with pink hulls for breast cancer research. I bought about 5 flats. Zero failures so far. I think they are about $65 per flat.

Remington Gun Clubs are my second choice if I can't find what I want for federals.

I also have a couple boxes of Winchester TrAAckers in the range bag. Really handy for training new shooters, or building back some confidence when somebody (i.e. Mrs. JustBen) misses a couple in a row.

Edit: With a shotfun, I don't see the need to match hunting ammo and target ammo. Its nice if you can find something with the same velocity - just so you can get your leads worked out, but its not a deal breaker.

webster
12-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Just for running rounds through the gun, I'd say use the 100-shell packs from CanTire or similar. The lighter recoil makes for nicer practice rounds, I find. Then step up to the full power stuff when hunting rolls around.

Mad Hatter
12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
I've been guilty of it too:red:, but yes, reading forum headings makes for better answers:p.

Did you go look at the gun?

I did, and bought it. Great deal. $360 NIB (getting the hang of gun humour now).