PDA

View Full Version : For all you Smellie fans!

Twosteam
12-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I have convinced Smellie to come to this forum! He is now waiting for moderator acceptance.
janice

Canuck
12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Excuse my ignorance. Who is Smellie?

Prairie Dog
12-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Excuse my ignorance. Who is Smellie?

You're not alone.

Strewth
12-13-2013, 12:30 PM
He knows a thing or three about SMLE's...also how to correctly assemble a Ross bolt(A dying art on the internet)...and maybe a couple of other firearms as well....You two don't hang out much in the CGN milsurp forum, I think:).

Prairie Dog
12-13-2013, 12:44 PM
He knows a thing or three about SMLE's...also how to correctly assemble a Ross bolt(A dying art on the internet)...and maybe a couple of other firearms as well....You two don't hang out much in the CGN milsurp forum, I think:).

Give that man a cigar....and a pound of bacon.

Haven't been 'over there' ever since I signed up here. Even took it out of my bookmarks.

Canuck
12-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Yes, but does he know anything about Garands? Is it anti-Canadian not to be a fan of the Lee Enfield rifle? I did not care for mine but maybe because I was a newbie at the time.
Nevertheless, it would be good to have someone like Smellie here for the LE afficiandos amongst us.

Candychikita
12-13-2013, 01:03 PM
welcome smellie :D when you get here :D

Edenchef
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Welcome, Cheers!

YukonLeftie
12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes, but does he know anything about Garands? Is it anti-Canadian not to be a fan of the Lee Enfield rifle? I did not care for mine but maybe because I was a newbie at the time.
Nevertheless, it would be good to have someone like Smellie here for the LE afficiandos amongst us.

Yes, Yes it is. Especially since its still in Canadian service (Rangers). ;)

Strewth
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Give that man a cigar....and a pound of bacon.

Haven't been 'over there' ever since I signed up here. Even took it out of my bookmarks.

Oh, I still go there to cruise the EE, but I think smellie's been a member of CGN longer than I've been alive:).

What's a Garand? Is that one of those expensive American copies of an M305?

Canuck
12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh, I still go there to cruise the EE, but I think smellie's been a member of CGN longer than I've been alive:).

What's a Garand? Is that one of those expensive American copies of an M305?

Someone else needs to spend more time in the milsurp section . . .

Canuck
12-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes, Yes it is. Especially since its still in Canadian service (Rangers). ;)

Not for much longer. It is a venerable rifle, certainly. I just couldn't get the hang of shooting it. Other rifles, no problem.

Nelson84
12-15-2013, 01:17 AM
What is a smellie and if its a nickname how does one recieve that nickname?

YukonLeftie
12-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Smellie = slang for SMLE; a designation of the Enfield. From wiki --

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk I

A shorter and lighter version of the original MLE—the famous Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield, or SMLE (sometimes spoken as "Smelly", rather than S, M, L, E)[7]—was introduced on 1 January 1904.[15] The barrel was now halfway in length between the original long rifle and the carbine, at 25.2 inches (640 mm).[15]

The SMLE's visual trademark was its blunt nose, with only the bayonet boss protruding a small fraction of an inch beyond the nosecap, being modeled on the Swedish Model 1894 Cavalry Carbine. The new rifle also incorporated a charger loading system,[16] another innovation borrowed from the Mauser rifle;[17] notably the charger system is different from the fixed "bridge" that later became the standard, being a stripper clip guide on the face of the bolt head. The shorter length was controversial at the time: many Rifle Association members and gunsmiths were concerned that the shorter barrel would not be as accurate as the longer MLE barrels, that the recoil would be much greater, and the sighting radius would be too short.[1

Tis also the screenname, as you've likely noted, of a new member here.

WESCAN
12-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Welcome aboard smellie!

Nelson84
12-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Oh good I thought it was because he stinks. I get it SMLE. Makes sense I guess.

UrbanRanger
12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing Smellie share his wisdom here. And he has a lot of knowledge to share.

Drache
12-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Smellie will be a massive boon to this forum for sure! His knowledge is unsurpassed!

bettercallsaul
12-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Welcome.

It's great to get some new members around here.

Satain
12-19-2013, 02:10 AM
welcome smellie :D when you get here :D
:agree:
Dido.

Drache
12-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Smellie is here! He's posted in a few threads already, just not this one! Flattery will get us nowhere :p

Smellie
12-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Yup, I'm here: Janice's nagging worked. So did the incessant snarky looks from Doofus, who alweys sides with Mommy against The Mean Guy.

I try not to make a nuisance of myself by posting in every thread but, when I can help, I do try.

All we need now are more interesting threads!

Nice to be here, too.

Ballsofice
12-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Hurrah now I can bug Smellie and twostream on two forums!

No man
01-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Hello

rodauto
01-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Yup, I'm here: Janice's nagging worked. So did the incessant snarky looks from Doofus, who alweys sides with Mommy against The Mean Guy.

I try not to make a nuisance of myself by posting in every thread but, when I can help, I do try.

All we need now are more interesting threads!

Nice to be here, too.

Hi Smellie,
Have been following your posts on GCN for a year or so now, so much information on so many subjects.... glad to see you here so I can get more information on more subjects!!!! Hope you can spread the Ross rifle story and Lee Enfield story on this forum as well, only problem is everyone will want one and prices will go up!!!
Rodney

Rory McCanuck
01-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Janice, if you're still out there, could you do me a favour?
I just tried a Delissio Buffalo Chicken pizza, really good!
If Smellie is good with spicy, could you fire one up and send it under the door for me?
Or just a pepperoni mushroom, if that works.
Greatly appreciated.

Twosteam
01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Smellie is very protective of his Pizzas, He has a frezzer with a lock on it down in the dungeon, whenever I cook him a Pizza I must ask him for the key, sign and date the sign out form in the freezer, and scribble out a Pizza reorder request form then return the keys- only then am I allowed to cook it...

janice
(you could ask him tho- but don't say that I put you up to it, and give me lots of notice so I can be out of the house- I hate loud screeching sounds.)

Ballsofice
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Jan, at least you don't have to fill out the pizza request form in triplicate then have dufus eat all three copies of the form and then realize the key is locked in the freezer.

Twosteam
01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Last time I "accidentally" locked the Freezer keys in the freezer I found out that Smellie has several copies of the key in the little strong box he uses as a bedside night table, he has a combination lock on that one and I was required to leave the room before he would unlock it, then he followed me down into the dungeon screeching at me as I unlocked the freezer and returned the keys.

Then he trained Dufus to be a guard cat and assigned her a post in the dungeon.
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x342/twosteam/george/P8050945_zpse55a41e0.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/twosteam/media/george/P8050945_zpse55a41e0.jpg.html)

This is her "on guard".
janice

Rory McCanuck
01-22-2014, 10:29 PM
I love the customisation, is that so Dufus can get a more pawsitive grip?

Twosteam
01-23-2014, 01:54 AM
yes, she could not get a grip with the wood in the way, so she told us what to change.Dumb humans can't do anything right.
janice