PDA

View Full Version : anybody know anything about a ishapore lee enfield?

bc.buddy
12-15-2013, 01:29 PM
About a month and a half ago I picked up what I thought was a sporterized lee enfield.
But after a bit of digging around I found this was the way it was made.
its in rough shape and I want to fix it up and make it as original as I can.
its marked G.R.I. ishapore 1928 ShtLe 3 .
what I learned its a lee enfield either made in india or refurbished for use in india, but other than that ive found nothing else.
BTW I believe its a no1 mk3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rory McCanuck
12-15-2013, 02:16 PM
If you were to take detailed pictures of it, especially the markings, there are a couple guys around here that can probably tell you more about it than you'd ever imagined.

bc.buddy
12-15-2013, 03:56 PM
I have pictures of the marking but this thread says I can't post attachments.

jwirecom109
12-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Externally the Ishapore 2A/2A1 rifle was based upon (and is almost identical to) the .303 British calibre SMLE Mk III* rifle, with the exception of the distinctive “square” (10 or 12 round) magazine and the use of the buttplate from the 1A (Indian version of the FN FAL) rifle. The 2A was designed to allow the British Pattern 1907 (P'07) sword bayonet used on the SMLE MkIII to be attached. There were other differences to the Ishapore 2A/2A1 rifles that include the use of improved steel (to handle the increased pressures of the 7.62mm NATO round), and a redesigned extractor to cope with the rimless round. Production of these rifles started in early 1960s and is believed to have been discontinued in 1975. The original (2A) design incorporated the Lee-Enfield rear sight which had metric graduations out to 2000 meters. The re-designated "Rifle 7.62mm 2A1" incorporated a more realistic 800 meter rear sight. The stock is recycled from the No. 1 Mk. III armory stock, with the addition of a cross screw forward of the magazine well. Some stocks were salvaged from existing surplus and show artificer repairs where rotted or damaged wood has been replaced, this is especially evident with the recoil draws that often fail over time due to the rifle being rack stored butt down / muzzle up that allows oils and grease to migrate downwards into this critical area....

Rory McCanuck
12-15-2013, 04:24 PM
I have pictures of the marking but this thread says I can't post attachments.
You will need to post your pictures on an online hosting site, such as photobucket, and then link to those pictures.
It isn't terribly difficult after the first couple, and there is a tutorial around here somewhere...
Click on this link for instructions: http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?53-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Pictures

Strewth
12-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Edit: Rory beat me to it while I was disciplining the new kitten about Christmas trees:Bang head:

bc.buddy
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
http://s928.photobucket.com/user/bcbuddy1/library/?view=recent&page=1
ummm try this, I'm on my phone.

Twosteam
12-15-2013, 05:41 PM
ishapore started making smle parts in 1912, they still make them today. Yours was manufactured in 1928- very few were made then so yours is fairly rare. The Indian army still uses these weapons and the factory only makes parts now no frames. They do not sell to civilians- only the military. Show us some pics and we can be more specific.
janice

Haywire1
12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
close. view the picture you wish to post, copy the text in the "direct link" box. then click the picture icon above. select from url, then paste your "direct link" and hit ok
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad125/bcbuddy1/Mobile%20Uploads/20131214_131127_zpsaa350af8.jpg

sounds complicated, but once you do it once or twice you'll be fine.

Haywire1
12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
ishy also made .303 brit rifles j. most famour for the .308 calibered ones, but the 303 was/is alive and well with them

bc.buddy
12-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Hmm thx twosteam. But I might be at a loss for replacement parts. The best place I've found was marstar.ca but their parts selection is limited to certain models

Haywire1
12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
also try tradex, and ps militaria also has some stuff. a lot of the enfield stuff interchanges, some doesnt, even if it is supposed to from what i have seen,lol

Strewth
12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
What parts do you need so far?

Smellie
12-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Well, it is an Ishapore and it is a 1928 but it sure has been sportered. However, the Good Part is that nothing super-important has been chopped; it can be restored.

Ishapore Arsenal was started as a repair shop 'way back in the 19th Century. Canada adopted the Ross Rifle against British wishes, then the Aussies wanted their own rifles, so Britain helped them to set up Lithgow. Ishapore was already partway there, so they set that one up also and both made their first COMPLETE rifles in 1912, although Ishapore had been making more and more PARTS already for some time. The PROOFING was all the same and the parts interchanged, so that put SMLE factories on THREE continents, which was to be a VERY good thing just 2 years latr: 1914.

GRI stands for GEORGIUS REX IMPERATOR: George, King-Emperor. Kings George V and VI both were Kings but also Emperors of India; it was even on the coins.

This rifle has been to England at some time (likely WW2; India sent England a pile of rifles after Dunkirk): it has post-1945 commercial Proof marks from when it was released and sold as surplus.

Almost all SMLE (Rifle Numbr 1, "Mark 3") parts will fit.

For a full restoration you will need new wood (all 4 pieces), barrel band, nosecap with stud, spring, screws,.

Nice part is that Ishapore parts (found marked ISA very often) are generally of a lower FINISH grade and are cheaper and the "dreaded Ishy Screw" so hated by most restorers was STANDARD on a refitted Indian rifle, so the hurt will not be as much as saving, say, an otherwise-pristine 1907 commercial London Small Arms rifle would be.

In the end you will have a fine old rifl which looks a bit banged-about but will be a very real monument to the men of the British Empire who fought for it in both World Wars.

A "diamond in the rough" you might call it.

BTW, I'm looking for the parts to rebuild a 1927, so we are in the same boat!

So we are both crazy. Welcome to the club!

bc.buddy
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info smellie.
Most of my work is going to be reblueing and drilling out old screws like the sear spring retaining screw/pin the former owner messed up and getting the parts but I've definitely been pointed in the right direction.

M1917 Enfield
06-28-2014, 09:08 PM
The Indian Government still allows the manufacture and sale of Lee Enfields to civilians but only in 8mm calibre, the old Mannlicher 8mmx50R cartridge actually -

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/5.htm

0.315" Sporting Rifle

Factory Address Phone Price w.e.f. 01/07/2013 Total price (including taxes)
The General Manager,
Rifle Factory,
Ishapore,
P.O. Nawabgunj, Dist. 24- Parganas (N).
West Bengal
PIN - 743144 (033) 25937119-23 Rs 47,700 plus taxes as applicable Please contact the factory.
The General Manager,
Ordnance Factory
Tiruchirapalli,
Tamil Nadu
PIN - 620016 (0431) 2581291-95 Rs 47,700 plus taxes as applicable Please contact the factory.

Rory McCanuck
06-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Hmm, $850 Cdn for a brand new Lee Enfield(ish).
Too bad about the chambering, but I don't think there's any flies on it...?