PDA

View Full Version : Moroccan Ground Lamb Skewers

Canuck
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
My wife and I are madly trying to complete a room renovation before our Christmas company arrives. I install the gyproc. She does the mudding and taping. She is a perfectionist and is just about done. She put in a lot of hours today so I wanted to make her something nice. Neighbor just butchered a lamb for us so I got to thinking about a dish we used to eat in Morocco. Learned to make it from the local guys on the beach at Agadir. This isn't exactly how they made it but close. It is normally cooked on a little hibachi type stove but I used a grille which is why the meat looks a little flat but makes no difference on the taste.

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground lamb
Fresh Rosemary (heaping tablespoon)
Fresh sage (teaspoon)
Fresh Oregano ( teaspoon)
Half of a small red onion
Half of a small green pepper
short skewers

Side dishes
Brown rice
Grilled Orange Peppers (or whatever pepper you want)
Steamed broccoli

Directions
Very finely dice the onion and green pepper. Combine all the above ingredients thoroughly with the lamb. I use my hands, it's the easiest way. Just keep kneading it until it's uniform. Form the meat into a sausage type shape and run the skewer through it when you are done. Should make 6 skewers in total. You don't really need the skewers unless you are doing it over an open grille. Although it's easier to handle on the sticks.
Make sure your grille is very hot; place the skewers on the grill for about 5 minutes. Turn once during the cooking time. A minute or so less if you like your meat a little rare. When the meat is done place your peppers on the grille and cook for about 4 minutes or when the oil just starts oozing out of the pepper.

Start the brown rice early as it takes the longest to cook.
Steam the broccoli for about 5 minutes.

Serve with a nice wine. Makes a tasty meal for two hungry people.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/201/ffga.jpg

Strewth
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Looks very tasty Canuck, thanks for the recipe. Neat to see one straight from Morocco as well!

:)Now get your wife back to work. Those walls won't sand themselves.

Canuck
12-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Looks very tasty Canuck, thanks for the recipe. Neat to see one straight from Morocco as well!

:)Now get your wife back to work. Those walls won't sand themselves.

She said to tell you she has two words for you, Strewth. Hint: It ain't Merry Christmas.

Strewth
12-15-2013, 11:13 PM
....I bet they're Mboni Chrismen? How multicultural of her!

Camo tung
12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Seems to be some extraneous items on that plate crowding out any extra lamb yummies.

Strewth
12-15-2013, 11:40 PM
I think those are vitamin sticks.

Camo tung
12-15-2013, 11:46 PM
I think those are vitamin sticks.

No rib bones pokin' out...what do you do with them (besides push them off to the side)?

Camo tung
12-15-2013, 11:48 PM
And who gets worked up over mega-pixel shots of carrots? That lamb could use some closer inspection tho...

hercster
12-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Ya gotta love this place. Next to guns, cooking is my favourite pastime and I do it every day as I am the family chef. Lamb is like gold down here in Texas if you can find it. I don't usually look at price tags on food items but never get past window shopping when it comes to lamb. Seafood is great here as we are close to the gulf fisheries. Fresh, wild shrimp are to die for. The next time I do one of my seafood creations I'll take a picture. Think of shrimp, scallops and oysters all in a mean cream sauce with fresh pasta. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

mlehto
12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Ya gotta love this place. Next to guns, cooking is my favourite pastime and I do it every day as I am the family chef. Lamb is like gold down here in Texas if you can find it. I don't usually look at price tags on food items but never get past window shopping when it comes to lamb. Seafood is great here as we are close to the gulf fisheries. Fresh, wild shrimp are to die for. The next time I do one of my seafood creations I'll take a picture. Think of shrimp, scallops and oysters all in a mean cream sauce with fresh pasta. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Sorry, but did I just hear you complaining about wintering in Texas?

Wait, let me grab you a tissue... :p

I have to agree with some of the others though, that that plate looks a little lopsided as far as the meat to veggie ratio is concerned.

hercster
12-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Sorry, but did I just hear you complaining about wintering in Texas?

Wait, let me grab you a tissue... :p

I have to agree with some of the others though, that that plate looks a little lopsided as far as the meat to veggie ratio is concerned.

No complaints here except for the air which is particularly hostile if you have allergies of any sort. There are several types of trees that continuously fill the air with pollen. However, the air is warmer and is regularly filled with gunsmoke. For some reason, the allergies don't bother me when lead is flying.

As far as food goes, no complaint there either. I've learned quite a few local recipes that are based on Mexican American "peasant" foods. Like many working class groups, these folks had to make do with the scraps and poor cuts of meat that the ranchers didn't want. Consequently they learned to do magic with very little. I do several dishes myself including a beef and vegetable soup known as Caldo. This is a bowl of soup that can fuel a half day's work.

As far as criticizing the the gastronomy posted on these pages, there should be a rule that the price of admission is to post something yourself. Does anyone in your part of Ontario actually cook anything? Survival is a box of Timbits while sitting on the 401 parking lot. :pot:

mlehto
12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
As far as criticizing the the gastronomy posted on these pages, there should be a rule that the price of admission is to post something yourself. Does anyone in your part of Ontario actually cook anything? Survival is a box of Timbits while sitting on the 401 parking lot. :pot:

My part of Ontario?

I thought were both from the same?

I have nothing to do with TO, and definitely stay the heck off of the 401.

Turned down much better paying jobs just to be able to say that! ;)

And i have contributed with some less than healthy recipes, including one that takes broccoli and makes it one of the most unhealthy salads of all time. ;)

As far as mexican food goes, I still make fajitas once a week, just like my Nana made on our visits to her place in Texas. Always bought our tortilla's straight from the factory in Progresso, Mexico just for the authenticity.

Don't know if your retired old butt could handle the heat though... :p

hercster
12-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Too funny !! I'm confusing you for someone else that was from the GTA somewhere. Gawd bless those poor souls!! As far as heat is concerned, one of my snacks is a half bag of Tostidos with a jar of hot Salsa. I regularly use a Habenero sauce that melts toenails. Come down to visit Nana soon and we'll see whois "old".:slap: