PDA

View Full Version : AR sling mounts ?

speedloader
12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Guys
can anybody tell me what sling mount they have?pros cons?
I know its a little silly because you can't carry it anyway but I want to get one
just because I can:cool1: (that and it makes it easier to carry it out to my garage for cleaning with all the paraphernalia and not have the neighbors flip out) Lots of different ones available price is higher the easier they are to install ie the clamp on vs removing the buffer tube springs & collar which I don't mind doing
at all already have the wrench

Strewth
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't think it's silly at all, I use mine to transition to pistol at the range all the time! I've got a Vltor lower that came with a QD mount behind the receiver for single point use, and I put a Magpul RSA at the front to use for a two point sling/hand stop.
I use a Magpul MS3 sling (which has it's own pros and cons) with a QD latch for single point use, and a locking clip for use as a two point. The QD point at the back still scares me (my $$$ rifle is hanging off what?) but it worked well with grit in it, and the ability to, well, quickly detach it, is pretty nice. The loop on the front of my handguard is smooth, and allows the sling to run around without binding, and I like the idea of moving it around if I wanted to try a different position.

RSA:
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mCIjBLmzjKhUe9y8BYfkAhQ.jpg

VLTOR lower QD points (one on each side, and one in zee back, which I'm using the most.):

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/11/08/649816_02_lower_receiver_bcm_vltor_danie_640.jpg

speedloader
12-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks Strewth for the info, nice set up, quiet honestly I was looking at the reciever ring mounts because they cost less
as apposed to the swivel clamp on ones and was thinking the same as you, don't really want it doing a barrel dive into the floor because I cheaped out on the ring if it snaps but they seem to be pretty sturdy and these rifles are pretty light weight compared to say my sks thats a 2 point for sure

harbl_the_cat
12-16-2013, 05:41 PM
For the kind of sling work you're using, I'd recommend a knock off airsoft one from DX.

They had some knock off Magpul RSA ones that I ran for a while - it's 2 pieces of steel with a hex screw - I don't know how that can be manufactured any different to be worth $35-40. I think I got mine for $6.

Strewth
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
For the kind of sling work you're using, I'd recommend a knock off airsoft one from DX.

They had some knock off Magpul RSA ones that I ran for a while - it's 2 pieces of steel with a hex screw - I don't know how that can be manufactured any different to be worth $35-40. I think I got mine for $6.

The Magpul ones have a slotted head, not hex. The Magpul screws also resist stripping far better. I'm not sure why you'd want to cheap out on a sling mount? I realize I only play on a one-way range, but still.

harbl_the_cat
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
The Magpul ones have a slotted head, not hex. The Magpul screws also resist stripping far better. I'm not sure why you'd want to cheap out on a sling mount? I realize I only play on a one-way range, but still.

Because I would rather have 160 rounds of ammo.

Besides, the price differential for a few pieces of steel should not be 500% even if Chris Costa himself hand forged it.

speedloader
12-17-2013, 11:11 AM
well its one of those things
can't find it locally except a police supply place for 60 bucks or more
so you gotta order it , and to justify the shipping might as well
get something else so now your at 100
you guys know the story its always the same

Strewth
12-17-2013, 11:33 AM
^Whoah, what? $60!!
Put up a WTB, dealers welcome! Which part exactly are you looking for? One Shot has lots of options, maybe call RDSC?

speedloader
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
oh sorry its 70 then you have to buy a swivel connector
heres the link
https://911supply.ca/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,3400/category_id,138/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,41/

heres all I need I think
http://www.hical.ca/apps/webstore/products/show/2921637

Strewth
12-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Two different beasties there....which sling attachment are you thinking? If a snap hook then the Magpul ASAP isn't much more than the Tapco, and gets very good reviews? Now I'm sounding like a Magpul fanboy. Groan.

:)But they do make cool stuff!

So you're going for a single point set up? Just be aware of barrel height to ground:). My buttstock is just above my nipple, and my barrel ends up around my knees, which is fine as long as I'm standing up, but if I bend over to scoop up a mag......

If you're looking to keep the rifle secured and tight, while moving around stuff in the garage, IMO I really recommend looking hard at two-point setups...which don't have to be expensive at all either, can you feed an end of your sling through your stock?

Nothing wrong with tying a hunk of twine to your rifle to see where it ends up in different configurations before plunking down hard earned moneys on shipping:).

speedloader
12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
thats great advice never thought about bending over and slamming the barrel into something ****!
and I do have an ATI adjustable butt that will take a 2 point regular sling

kinda leaning towards the single point hook type looks alot less confining
Magpul does make nice +1 on that the asap plate looks like the strongest you can get

I did some more looking and found a GOC sponsor that sells the asap sling adapter plate
Pressure check Ventures with a 5% off for GOC members not bad so 28 plus shipping

I also found one simular to yours at alberta tactical rifle supply here in town VLTOR
(these guys want 45 for the same Magpul asap)
http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/product/381-receiver-end-plate

Strewth
12-17-2013, 03:31 PM
thats great advice never thought about bending over and slamming the barrel into something ****!
and I do have an ATI adjustable butt that will take a 2 point regular sling

kinda leaning towards the single point hook type looks alot less confining

Yah, the single point is some hella fun on the range with a pistol, and apparently when you're driving around in a vehicle as well, but for security (of not dragging the barrel through the gravel) a two point has definite advantages...so I switch between them:).

Watch the quality of the snap hooks (yay, more moneys!!11!). I've never had a problem with the cheaper ones on my shotgun sling, but as always you get what you pay for....

Do you have a sling yet? Or one in mind? Santa's almost wrapped up his workshop, but there's still time....

speedloader
12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
looking at the magpul sling you can switch between both 1 & 2 point
for those late night re-con missions
your right I better show santa what shes ordering pretty quick! haha

Satain
12-17-2013, 11:42 PM
QD sling mounts are way better than smash hooks and you get what you pay for. I mean you can get then from deal extreme if you are on a budget but the real deal ones are made to a greater quality standard. Best thing to do is to try what works for you. I like the gunfighter grip with the noveske qd sling plate. Then I also put the KAC handstop QD mount on the front with the triglide near the back and found that this set up works the best for me.

harbl_the_cat
12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
One of the other benefits to DX slings is to try out different setups without having having to lay down big money upfront without knowing what you're getting into.

Once you've settled in on one you like doing garage and light duty range drills - throw down the big money to get something similar that's better.

For a while I was leaning on 1-point slings, but I like the idea of using a 2 point sling as an arm brace for standing/kneeling/sitting unsupported.

Strewth
12-18-2013, 10:38 AM
looking at the magpul sling you can switch between both 1 & 2 point
for those late night re-con missions
your right I better show santa what shes ordering pretty quick! haha

The only mechanical thing I don't like about the design of the MS3 I have is how the adjustment tab functions, but I find I don't have to adjust it between a tight one-point, and a "hasty sling" size of two-point.
The strap rides on my neck as a tight one-point, but I don't run around too much with the rifle dangling, so not much of an issue.

To correct both of these (first world?) problems, you can look at a VCAS sling, with an added Triglide...getting into pretty serious money for a sling, but it is the Cadillac IMO, both in comfort and ease of length manipulation.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/VCAS-1251_350x227.jpg
http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/IMG02962-20130306-1413_350x262.jpg

Satain
12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
The only mechanical thing I don't like about the design of the MS3 I have is how the adjustment tab functions, but I find I don't have to adjust it between a tight one-point, and a "hasty sling" size of two-point.
The strap rides on my neck as a tight one-point, but I don't run around too much with the rifle dangling, so not much of an issue.

To correct both of these (first world?) problems, you can look at a VCAS sling, with an added Triglide...getting into pretty serious money for a sling, but it is the Cadillac IMO, both in comfort and ease of length manipulation.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/VCAS-1251_350x227.jpg
http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/IMG02962-20130306-1413_350x262.jpg
Yep thatz my AR set-up right there.