PDA

View Full Version : Powder storage, fires, safety, etc - continuation of the CSSA thread discussion

blacksmithden
12-20-2013, 01:21 PM
So...who knows how to put out a smokeless powder fire ? Well....besides my standard, tried and true method of: RUN AWAY !!! :)

RobSmith
12-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Standard CO2 fire extinguisher or plain old water should do the trick. Smokeless when unconfined doesn't really burn all that fast so a blast of cold CO2 should be plenty, wet black powder doesn't burn at all so if you can get to it and flood it with water it should quit burning.

riderrick
12-20-2013, 02:30 PM
i'm gonna go with.... RUNAWAY>>>RUNAWAY

on the storage side, i have a wooden chest that i lock my powder in....how much can i store in the house under the new regs?

blacksmithden
12-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Standard CO2 fire extinguisher or plain old water should do the trick. Smokeless when unconfined doesn't really burn all that fast so a blast of cold CO2 should be plenty, wet black powder doesn't burn at all so if you can get to it and flood it with water it should quit burning.

Well....from what I remember from the family working in the explosives industry for 60 some years (CIL Explosives -Nobel Works), you want to put it out with water and not much else. Save the dry chemical and CO2 fire extinguishers for after it's burned itself out to put out whatever else it sets on fire. Do not direct a blast of compressed anything directly at loose burning powder as it will just blow it around and spread the fire. Flooding with water will help to wet any remaining powder, and wet powder doesn't burn. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....in a typical home reloading setup, more than likely, the small quantities of powder we deal with will be burnt off by the time you're able to react and get a fire extinguisher. Put out the resulting secondary fire with whatever extinguisher you chose. CO2 is the best in my opinion, if for no other reason that the clean up factor. I had to let a 20lb dry chemical extinguisher go in a garage I was working in (burning car) years ago. I was half a day cleaning up the mess, and damn, does that stuff ever irritate your throat and lungs if you breath it in.

blacksmithden
12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Keep in mind...this is just proposed right now, and not yet law.

i'm gonna go with.... RUNAWAY>>>RUNAWAY

on the storage side, i have a wooden chest that i lock my powder in....how much can i store in the house under the new regs?

Propellants:

Current Storage Limit – 10 kg
Proposed Storage Limit (single dwelling unit) - 25 kg propellant af which no more than 10 kg may be black powder + 75 kg in separate storage outside of dwelling with no separation distance
Proposed Storage Limit (multi-dwelling unit) – 5 kg of smokeless or 20 kg smokeless in containers of 1kg or less, 2 kg black powder in bulk in containers of 500 g or less and 3 kg in cartouches and bulk

Primers/Percussion Caps:

Current Storage Limit – “a reasonable quantity” (reasonable is up to the Judge)
Proposed Storage Limit – Unlimited in original packaging – up to 150 "stored" in loading equipment

riderrick
12-20-2013, 02:56 PM
well the rumor mill i heard said this was past....well i guess a higginson order may have to wait a bit longer

blacksmithden
12-20-2013, 04:44 PM
well the rumor mill i heard said this was past....well i guess a higginson order may have to wait a bit longer

Why ? Do you have regular inspections of your powder storage ??? :D LOL. Have to it man !!!!

TPK
12-20-2013, 04:53 PM
If black powder is involved it will be over way before you have time to react. Ignition source and boom, you're done, it isn't like smokeless powder where you may a few seconds to react.

BrotherRockeye
12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Proposed Storage Limit (single dwelling unit) - 25 kg propellant af which no more than 10 kg may be black powder + 75 kg in separate storage outside of dwelling with no separation distance

so if I read this right...25kg in the house and 75kg in my reloading room across the yard from the house..?

the only thing in the house is a stack of iron and ammo for same...75kg in the reloading room is acceptable ;D

riderrick
12-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Why ? Do you have regular inspections of your powder storage ??? :D LOL. Have to it man !!!!

I would but I've been on a buying spree lately a dozen restricted in the last 2 weeks. my luck sucks when it comes to bs crimes. 2 weeks ago planning a range trip make sure licence is wallet reg certs in range bag locks on everything ok good to go.....get to range ooopppsss wallet on kitchen counter. got pulled over leaving range, end up with a $80 no drivers licence ticket and a threat to confiscate my guns. didn't want to push issue right then but no reason was given for the stop. that's my typical luck so with the spree I feel I'd be the 1 in 7,000,000 to be inspected