PDA

View Full Version : To Lever or To Bolt. That is The Question.

Mad Hatter
12-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Two pistols, one shotgun. Now I need a rifle to round out the collection. I'm thinking Winchester again. Suggestions as to calibre and action? Kinda like the lever myself. No magazines to fool around with.

Rory McCanuck
12-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Hunting or off the bench?
Nothing else carries like a '94 Winchester, but the lever hitting the bench every time you cycle another round is a bit of a pain.
If you are looking for one hole groups at 300 yards, the ol' 30-30 probably isn't the best place to start. For the vast majority of hunting done in N.America, it is good enough, but everyone seems to feel that they need something that will shoot the eye out of a spycam at 600 yards. In reality, if you (and the rifle) can keep your shots within a 6" circle at 200 yards, you should be able to fill your deer tags each year.
If it is for punching holes in paper at 100yds, and couldn't do better than 3", I'd probably wrap it around a tree :p

The easy answer is a bolt action .308 or 30/06. Either is usually a pretty good answer to every shooting question. Common enough to buy ammo at the hardware store, and good from coyotes to moose.
How boring...

stevesummit
12-21-2013, 04:47 PM
If you like levers don't discount the old 99 savage ! Find an old one that suits you and run with it !!

BrotherRockeye
12-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm a fan of lever actions but I don't own a Winchester anymore, Marlins are better actions imo, and nothing beats a Savage 99/1899.

That said caliber is often a deciding factor when it comes to choice of action...

Rory's last 3 lines sum it up pretty good...or a 99c in .308

Satain
12-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Mare's leg 22LR for the win :p
Other wise I like bolt's for hunting.

zulu
12-21-2013, 05:53 PM
I like the lever (marlin) over a bolt. it will do the job in close tarrain and is way more fun when target shooting. but i also am planning on buying a bolt again

Edenchef
12-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Rolling Block in 45/70, but I'm a neanderthal. You only need one shot with that puppy.

Cheers!

Canuck257
12-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Are we going down the same slippery slope that the other forum has???
This is the "Precision and Target Rifle" forum is it not?? To put lever actions in the same sentence as those three words is a contradiction in terms!! My 0.02 cents.

BrotherRockeye
12-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Rolling Block in 45/70, but I'm a neanderthal. You only need one shot with that puppy.

Cheers!

I'll see your Rolling Block and raise you a Falling Block in 50/70 ;D

Edenchef
12-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I'll see your Rolling Block and raise you a Falling Block in 50/70 ;D

Ah yes! They may be oldies, but they are goodies. Slow but steady and hit like a freight train!

Cheers!

BrotherRockeye
12-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Are we going down the same slippery slope that the other forum has???
This is the "Precision and Target Rifle" forum is it not?? To put lever actions in the same sentence as those three words is a contradiction in terms!! My 0.02 cents.

This is GOC...it stands on it's own right and has nothing to do with "that other forum" and I for one am sick to ******* death of hearing about it here.

I have a Savage 99a in 250-3000 that will out shoot most folks beloved bolt actions and won me a prize doing just that one time, and since the penny is no more, $.02 means squat these days...yours or anyone elses.

but I haveta agree this topic belongs in general...not a topic for precision and target...

mlehto
12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Moved...

BrotherRockeye
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
sorry...my bad...

Canuck257
12-22-2013, 12:13 PM
This is GOC...it stands on it's own right and has nothing to do with "that other forum" and I for one am sick to ******* death of hearing about it here.

I have a Savage 99a in 250-3000 that will out shoot most folks beloved bolt actions and won me a prize doing just that one time, and since the penny is no more, $.02 means squat these days...yours or anyone elses.

but I haveta agree this topic belongs in general...not a topic for precision and target...

Oops, guess I hit a sore spot, sorry about that.

Ivan

Drache
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Are you hunting or target shooting?

For straight target shooting go with a bolt unless you're into the Cowboy action shooting then you will need a lever :D

For hunting it depends on the type of hunting you do. If you plan on hunting thick brush or stalking close to an animal than a lever works wonders. Quick follow up shots are nice. Caliber for this depends on what animals you're hunting. 30-30 is perfect for deer.

Hornady Levervolution is amazing ammo for that!

http://www.bullshooterssupply.com/store/images/hornady_leverevolution_30-30_160_grain.jpg

If you plan on hunting wide open spaces where longer shots are taken and want a rifle to still take target shooting, then I suggest a bolt. Caliber is once again dependent on what you're hunting.

Wickit
12-22-2013, 01:18 PM
What about the Browning BLR Leaver action with the ability to shoot all the new fangled bullets

zulu
12-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah the blr^ i believe wickit has found the perfect firearm for your problem

BrotherRockeye
12-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Oops, guess I hit a sore spot, sorry about that.

Ivan

no, my bad Ivan...my coffee hadn't soaked in yet...

What about the Browning BLR Leaver action with the ability to shoot all the new fangled bullets

you mean like a Savage 99/1899 that's been doing it for over 100 years...

Oh yeah the blr^ i believe wickit has found the perfect firearm for your problem

they do have a better selection of calibers to choose from over the Savage...and they come with magazines to lose! ;D

Mad Hatter
12-22-2013, 09:18 PM
no, my bad Ivan...my coffee hadn't soaked in yet...

you mean like a Savage 99/1899 that's been doing it for over 100 years...

they do have a better selection of calibers to choose from over the Savage...and they come with magazines to lose! ;D

At only $125 each! And we whine about $50 SA pistol mags.

Looky
12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
A Marlin 336 in 30-30, 32 and or the 35 Remington will make tight clovers in the right hands.
Who says levers ain't precise?

Mad Hatter
12-22-2013, 09:40 PM
The Browning catalogue says something about the ammo flat-nosing in the standard lever magazine??

Drache
12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
The Browning catalogue says something about the ammo flat-nosing in the standard lever magazine??

In your standard lever action rifle with a tube magazine, the nose of the round will be pushed up against the primer of the round before it. This can blunt the tips of ammo like .308 and such. This is why for many years 30-30 ammo was flat nosed, to stop that happening.

Mad Hatter
12-22-2013, 09:53 PM
In your standard lever action rifle with a tube magazine, the nose of the round will be pushed up against the primer of the round before it. This can blunt the tips of ammo like .308 and such. This is why for many years 30-30 ammo was flat nosed, to stop that happening.

Hence the accuracy issues they talk about with levers because of the flat nose ammo.

Drache
12-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Hence the accuracy issues they talk about with levers because of the flat nose ammo.

Yes but then companies like Hornady came out with the Leverevolution ammo and changed that notion.

Haywire1
12-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Flat nose ammo isnt as inaccurate as some people carry on about. Look for the "best shots" thread here, I have an old savage 30-30 that conistantly shoots a 3 round group you can cover with a penny at 100 yards. Yes it is about .75 moa. Seen more than a different rifles shoot 30-30 that well. The issue with tube mags is when you use pointed bullets, and the tip is resting on the primer of the following round, recoil can jam the tip into the primer hard enough to gangfire every round, destroying the firearm in the best case. Because of this, hornady developed the lever rounds to allow the use of pointed bullets in tubular magazines. The extra distance and velocity are the resons for the development, accuracy is a by product.

road kill
12-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Having owned both a BLR and a Win 94 i have to say i don't have either one anymore. My first choice is a bolt then semi auto. If a lever was all i could have it would likely be a Browning or Savage with a Win bringing up the rear.

BrotherRockeye
12-23-2013, 11:06 AM
a little more to the flat nose accuracy myth...the bullet shape is more about ballistic coefficient than accuracy. Pointy ends and tapered bases have improved bullet flight characteristics but have little to do with real world accuracy.
the BC basics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient
something deeper:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

oh and I concur with Winchester bringing up the rear ;D

Drache
12-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Personally Savage would bring up the rear for me and Winchester would be above them. Never used a BLR yet so I can't comment.

superbrad
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I'll go against the grain and say bolt in a .308.... Other than a single shot there is nothing more reliable than a bolt action.... if you like Winchester then get yourself a nice model 70... plenty of upgrades available down the road.... Levers may make great brush guns but the reliability of a bolt coupled with a nice lightweight one in a short action and a light rig like an m70 featherweight and you have the best of both worlds.... top it off with some decent glass and you have a winning combo that will easily reach out to 300 yards in capable hands....

Strewth
12-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Hunting forum (is this correct?), first rifle...I agree with superbrad. I have no regrets at all purchasing a .308 as my first rifle. Light, easy to find ammo, simple, accurate.
I love my lever, and more will probably follow me home as I find the action itself quite fascinating, but for me, hunting means simple bolt guns. If you want a handy (short?) bush gun (Stainless? All-weather? Synthetic?) there's lots of bolt options out there.

Although two of my hunting buddies have those BLRs, very nice rifles:). One in stainless over laminate....my favorite:):).

BrotherRockeye
12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
In this circumstance I don't think the decision should be based on action.
For you first rifle in a do all caliber I would echo a few and suggest (since Winchester is the desired make) a Model 70 in .308
I have liked every model 70 I have owned and although I am no fan of the .308 (I prefer ALL it's children lol ) it is without doubt a very versatile round, and an outstanding parent cartridge.
You will meet all your needs and can add a lever down the road when you hone your tastes and know what you want.

Mad Hatter
12-24-2013, 02:51 PM
This has been exceedingly informative and I thank everyone for their input thus far. So at the moment I'm thinking bolt, either .308 or 30-30, but have definitely ruled out plastic guns. There is just no place for them in my collection. Whichever one I eventually choose, it'll be walnut for sure.

BrotherRockeye
12-24-2013, 04:13 PM
if you are going bolt, go .308. It is ballistically superior to the 30/30...and leaves you the perfect opportunity to add that lever in 30/30 down the road...
win win ;D

Mad Hatter
12-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes. Step your way up the ladder enabling you to acquire more guns along the way. Love it!

loki
12-24-2013, 06:51 PM
There's a question? Get both = answer ;).

Mad Hatter
12-24-2013, 06:53 PM
What's the general opinion on Marlin rifles?

zulu
12-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I love em!

zulu
12-24-2013, 08:20 PM
However mine came from factory ....rushed. the actiom needed polishing. small.metal burrs. once that was cleaned.up it was great
if you want a smooth lever from factory i have found henrys to be quite smooth and traditional. the marlins are more of a modern lever, well some of them.

BrotherRockeye
12-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Marlins...bolt or lever?
In my opinion...
Their X7 series is the best entry level bolt iron at the price point. The only thing they don't have is a detachable mag, if that's an issue.
An XS7 in .308 would be a good start.
Their levers are good, the older ones are great.
In the last 10 years I have sold all my Winchester levers and replaced them with Marlins.
Still a fan of straight grips and full length mag tubes, though I realize the benefit of the pistol grip for the bigger cals...

Strewth
12-24-2013, 08:34 PM
I've never had a problem with my pre-Remington amalgamation Marlin lever....I have no experience with the newer ones.

Mad Hatter
12-25-2013, 05:13 PM
In terms of the ammo, are they restricted to Marlin or will Winchester equiv. work?

With regards to Brother Rockeye's query about lever or bolt, I just happened to see a pic of the Marlin lever and thought it was just so much better looking of a rifle than Winchester. The price sure is right for the Express .308! I have not looked closely at their bolts yet. Edit: Just did. Plastic.

coastal
12-25-2013, 06:21 PM
All this talk of levers has me wanting a marlin 1895sbl.

Or GBL.

:)

Haywire1
12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Marlin guide gun stainless/black laminate in 45/70

Mad Hatter
12-25-2013, 07:07 PM
The Marlin 308 Express lever is chambered for the Marlin Express 308, a cartridge developed my Hornandy. Will this gun also fire "regular" Winchester 308 ammo? It does not say "no" anywhere and one would want a rifle with the ability to fire different brands if the first choice was not available. Dumb question from rifle newbie.

coastal
12-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Marlin guide gun stainless/black laminate in 45/70

Hell ya.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/bigbore/zoom_1895sbl.jpg

BrotherRockeye
12-25-2013, 07:12 PM
In terms of the ammo, are they restricted to Marlin or will Winchester equiv. work?

30/30 Winchester works in a Marlin 30/30...the chambering is 30/30 Winchester...or 30wcf for the old schoolers in the crowd

With regards to Brother Rockeye's query about lever or bolt, I just happened to see a pic of the Marlin lever and thought it was just so much better looking of a rifle than Winchester. The price sure is right for the Express .308! I have not looked closely at their bolts yet. Edit: Just did. Plastic.
The tupperware stock of the XS7 is actually pretty good, and is easily upgraded by a trip to Boyds web site.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7545&cat=1220

Nothing wrong with an(my) 1895 in 45/70 but I really like my .444 for some reason...likely because I'm partial to .44 chamberings.
.44Russian/.44Special/.44Magnum/.444Marlin
I can use the same bullets in all of them if I want. ;D

BrotherRockeye
12-25-2013, 07:17 PM
missed a couple of posts while I was typing...disregard the 30/30 part of my last post lol

that picture is an SBL...Stainless Big Loop

My buddy has one...more felt recoil than my 1895...I never could get used to that stupid rail on the top...it's a lever gun not an AR...

Rory McCanuck
12-26-2013, 05:45 PM
The Marlin 308 Express lever is chambered for the Marlin Express 308, a cartridge developed my Hornandy. Will this gun also fire "regular" Winchester 308 ammo? It does not say "no" anywhere and one would want a rifle with the ability to fire different brands if the first choice was not available. Dumb question from rifle newbie.

No!
308 MX has a rim on it, so it shouldn't even get into a 308 Win chamber.
308 Win is about 0.100" longer, so it shouldn't chamber in a 308 MX.
The 308 Win operates at a higher pressure, too, so if did chamber in a Marlin levergun, and it did go off without blowing the gun apart, pieces of your anatomy might fall off.

308 MX came about to better the performance in leverguns. It's a good bit more than a 30-30, but not quite a 308 Win. Should be a real deer slayer, and I really want one.
Ammo price looks comparable in the Cabela's catalogue, but finding on shelves might not happen.
Handloading would make that a non-issue, but that holds true for most anything.

Did I mention I really want one ? ;D

Mad Hatter
12-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a delightful rifle to own. I have made a few informed decisions at this point. I do want a .308. Superior to 30-30 in most if not all respects. And I want a lever. Just because. No magazines and you can feed it ammo without disabling it. I had pretty much made up my mind on the Marlin .308 Express as it is just a great looker. But. Ammo that is of questionable availability is a little scary. And the fact that it costs anywhere from 50 to 65 percent more than standard .308 is a put off. Gonna have to either hope the ammo becomes more readily available and take the plunge, or step back for a while.

coastal
12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Nothing wrong with an(my) 1895 in 45/70 but I really like my .444 for some reason...likely because I'm partial to .44 chamberings.
.44Russian/.44Special/.44Magnum/.444Marlin
I can use the same bullets in all of them if I want. ;D

I'm quite intrigued by the 45-70, I read mixed reviews, but unfortunately don't have enough experience to know if it's a good caliber for medium to big game. I keep hearing 150-200 yards max, with a few excellent shooters going further with it.

BrotherRockeye
12-27-2013, 12:51 AM
45-70 is an great caliber for all NA big game.
It can and does reach out a long way when chambered in long barreled single shot rifles.
Watch "Quigley Down Under" lol...those vernier sights ain't just for show.

Rory McCanuck
12-27-2013, 02:22 AM
I'm quite intrigued by the 45-70, I read mixed reviews, but unfortunately don't have enough experience to know if it's a good caliber for medium to big game. I keep hearing 150-200 yards max, with a few excellent shooters going further with it.
Big, heavy bullet with all the aerodynamics of a falling safe, moving too slow to get out of its own way, and a trajectory only suitable for hitting a pot of gold. But, hits like an anvil (maybe on both ends ;) ) and things that get hit like that don't tend to get back up and shrug it off. Hard not to giggle when you light the fuse, too.
Big bores are fun!

BrotherRockeye
12-27-2013, 10:22 AM
amen to that!!

zulu
12-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Lol rory, i laughed at that falling safe comment

Mad Hatter
12-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Wadda y'all think of the 44 magnum as an all round calibre for a rifle? Cheap, easy to getů

The Marlin 1894 lever looks like a good choice.

Edenchef
12-27-2013, 05:45 PM
45-70 is an great caliber for all NA big game.
It can and does reach out a long way when chambered in long barreled single shot rifles.
Watch "Quigley Down Under" lol...those vernier sights ain't just for show.

Amen! Good for all but three in Africa, too. Yes, that's also why the "Billy Dixon" shot (50/90) and so may others worked. Why BPCR Silly Wet is still so popular, in North America (600 yd +, Holy Black only) and "Creedmoore"(900 yd, duplex loads allowed). But it takes the P word......"Practice". JMHO, but big bores rock! The original "one shot; one kill".

Cheers!

BrotherRockeye
12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Wadda y'all think of the 44 magnum as an all round calibre for a rifle? Cheap, easy to get…

The Marlin 1894 lever looks like a good choice.

Have one. Can shoot the same 44spl loads in it as my SAA's.
I wouldn't call it a true hunting round though...course that's just my opinion.
I will do the job in certain situation but I have many far better choices.
It does play hell with skunks at 40 yds though :p

Mad Hatter
12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Have one. Can shoot the same 44spl loads in it as my SAA's.
I wouldn't call it a true hunting round though...course that's just my opinion.
I will do the job in certain situation but I have many far better choices.
It does play hell with skunks at 40 yds though :p

I don't hunt. This gun is for some fun shooting; bit o' this and a bit o' that. In prepping for the future it should work well as a survival rifle just in case some smaller game might be needed. It will also make a good varmint rifle if ever the need arose. My son wants to buy an acreage. I will probably one day want to add a large bore revolver to my collection and I won't have to worry about still another calibre of ammo. By jove I do believe I have made a decision! Now just to find one. Everyone seems to carry the 1895's and 336's and nobody knows the ETA's of their backorders.

Mad Hatter
12-27-2013, 06:47 PM
oops

BrotherRockeye
12-27-2013, 09:32 PM
it's a good choice.
little to no recoil, and packs a whallop.
My buddies wife has one now. She shot mine and insisted on one of her own.
I scoped mine when my eyes started catching up to my age.
Seen here behind my 1954 Marlin 39a Golden Mountie with period Marlin post scope ;D
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/262/marlins1.jpg

Mad Hatter
12-27-2013, 10:12 PM
I can hardly wait! Cabela's is the only gun dealer I can find that actually even lists that model. Currently on " backorderable" status. I will call them in Edmonton tomorrow and see what gives.

Rory McCanuck
12-27-2013, 11:15 PM
44 is cool, very fun.
My favourite load in my 444 is probably closer to a 44 special or even Russian.
10.5gr Unique and a 240gr swc, it feels like a 22 with authority ;D
It's easy enough to load lower power loads, but you can't get a 44 mag to equal a 444 Marlin peformance.
Or load a 45/70 down to 45 Colt levels, but not the other way around.

For a truly useful, gerneral purpose/do everything ,comfortable for anyone to shoot calibre, it's still pretty hard to beat a 30-30.

BrotherRockeye
12-28-2013, 01:21 AM
mind if I swipe that recipe Rory? ;D
I have Unique and 240gr SWC bullets on hand
A powder puff load for the .444 might be fun.
No case filler or such, just powder...and lots of room?

Rory McCanuck
12-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Have at 'er!
It sure doesn't fill it up much, you have to squint a bit to see it.
Lots of room to up the load, it just happened to shoot alright, and that's what that dipper dispenses.
A sawed off 6mmRem case with some wire soldered on for a handle.
I don't bother weighing or nuffin'!
Load up 50 in less than an hour, and go empty them in about the same time.
Lets me play with the pumpkin chucker without breaking the bank or my shoulder.
I figure about...$12 for 50 rounds?
They carry enough energy to turn a water filled milk jug to mist ;)
It's the gun and load I've used to get a couple of young folks started shooting.
Accurate enough that if their aim is decent, they'll hit it.

Satain
12-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I wish there was a 500 S&W lever...
:(

coastal
12-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Anyone see any Marlin 1895's in stock anywhere?

coastal
01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Add me to the big bore lever club, found this today:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Poopy62/DSC_0563_zpsc3cc2024.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/Poopy62/media/DSC_0563_zpsc3cc2024.jpg.html)

Sure is buttery smooth, all the complaints you hear about remlins etc....I think they have it figured out now. Cycled some Lever Evolution through it and it loads perfectly. ;) :)

Rory McCanuck
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Oooohhh, lookin' gooood!
I'm a bit suprised at how those laminate stocks are growing on me.

Save that L/E brass. Even though it is shorter, it can still be reloaded with a couple of tricks.
If you don't have dies yet, supposedly the Hornady New Dimension dies will work fine with the shorter brass.

Hard to tell in the pic, non-ported?

coastal
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Oooohhh, lookin' gooood!
I'm a bit suprised at how those laminate stocks are growing on me.

Save that L/E brass. Even though it is shorter, it can still be reloaded with a couple of tricks.
If you don't have dies yet, supposedly the Hornady New Dimension dies will work fine with the shorter brass.

Hard to tell in the pic, non-ported?

I looked at the laminate on a 336 marlin at wholesale sports, it looked like absolute cheap garbage and it really turned me off the GBL in general. Then I drove out so see this and am sooo impressed with it. ;) I will have to figure out this reloading stuff now. Yikes!

Non-ported

coastal
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I do want better sights though...not a big fan of the stock ones.

Rory McCanuck
01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
I have one of these: 94/36FP (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/198988/williams-fp-94-36-receiver-peep-sight-winchester-top-eject-94-55-63-64-65-9422-marlin-36-336-444-44-magnum-93-1895-1895g-and-sears-centerfire-aluminum-black?cm_vc=subv1583902)
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/198/198988.jpg

But if I were to do it over, I'd have one of these: Lyman66 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116045/lyman-receiver-sight-66la-marlin-336-1894-aluminum-blue)
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/116/116045.jpg

The advantage with the Lyman, you can take it off so that it doesn't interfere with the bell of a scope.
If you use a Weaver 63b scope mount, you can cut it between the two rear screws, and that leaves room for the receiver sight.
Quick detach rings on you scope,so you use the receiver sight pushing bush to your stand. Once there, put the scope on.
Also, a William's Firesight fibreoptic up front, and you have every conceivable scenario covered.FireSight (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/rifle-fire-sights-prod16338.aspx)
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_962564320_1.jpg

BrotherRockeye
01-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Add me to the big bore lever club, found this today:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Poopy62/DSC_0563_zpsc3cc2024.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/Poopy62/media/DSC_0563_zpsc3cc2024.jpg.html)

Sure is buttery smooth, all the complaints you hear about remlins etc....I think they have it figured out now. Cycled some Lever Evolution through it and it loads perfectly. ;) :)

looks good without the gawd awful rail they usually stick on em... my buddy has a nice stainless grey lam GBL and it's ruined by a tactical rail stabbed on the top...

coastal
01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm going to take it over to Rusty Wood after I play with it a bit to get some new front and rear sights. I think the picatinny rail looks ok on this rifle since its black, it really stands out on the stainless ones.

M.T. Chambers
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I like the lever pictures, and I've got a few...Marlins in 45/70, 30/30 and .44 mag. Win. '94 in .356 Win. and Win.'95 in .303.....but for most game, I like my Marlin '95 cowboy in 45/70 using 555gr. flat points cast hard and being pushed hard.
Boltguns are prolly better if you like to shoot long range on game.

coastal
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Took it out for a test drive today, sights are terrible, but it makes good fruit salad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_TgQ7sQB8

Rory McCanuck
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Hehe. 45-70 vs. a cantelope hardly seems a fair fight :)

coastal
01-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Hehe. 45-70 vs. a cantelope hardly seems a fair fight :)

Good point, I should've used equal force. Next time I will throw hockey balls at it. :P

Mad Hatter
01-26-2014, 07:31 PM
After deciding that new Marlins had too many serious fit and finish issues to even consider, looking at a well priced Rossi Rio Grande with some finish issues and an exorbitantly expensive new Japanese made not really USA any more Winchester 94 but which felt fantastic to handle, I decided to set my sights on a pre-64 Winchester 94 30-30. Found a really nice one in NS which was made in '54, same year as me! All good. Can't wait till it gets here! I wonder, however, since I have no intentions of parting with it, is it wise to restore the finish, both stock and bluing, or leave it as is? It is pretty good. Used but not abused.

Rory McCanuck
01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
If it's gone 60 years without turning into a rusty lump living near the ocean, I'm sure an occasional wipe down with an oily cloth will preserve it well enough in the wilds of Alberta ;)
Please don't go sanding the wood, cleaning it is a good place to start. A slightly damp cloth, and a bit of elbow grease can work wonders.

coastal
01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Go look at a marlin in person, mine looks fantastic.

Mad Hatter
01-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Go look at a marlin in person, mine looks fantastic.

I was actually going to after reading your glowing reports here. But. Being a child of the '50's, I just couldn't resist the idea of owning one of the highest quality guns produced in the US back when it was still all about quality and tradition. And one made in my birth year. Then the "more, faster, cheaper" philosophy started to take over in the '60's and hasn't changed since. I think it's sad when you can buy a super high quality firearm by today's standards but they cheap out in areas like using roll pins instead of solid pins, something that saves only pennies. Besides, I really wanted a walnut stock!

coastal
01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Yes there is that. I know where there is a mint 1895 guide gun for sale with sights already done, they wanted $700 for it.

And nicola Valley outdoors has a stainless walnut pre Remington brand new for $999

As far as the Internet hype on remlins, I think it's been sorted out.

BrotherRockeye
01-27-2014, 09:45 AM
if my buddies SBL is any indication, Marlins QC department is back on line...after a bit of a hiatus.

Mad Hatter
02-03-2014, 10:28 PM
It arrived today! My 1954 Winchester 94 30-30. This thing is in such good shape I'm not going to do a thing to it other than drool over it then shoot it. The worn bluing just gives it that authentic well used but not abused look. No dings, scratches, cracks or gouges. All original and perfect crown. All that for $450 shipped.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/myakey/20140203_204237_zpse1df8dae.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/myakey/20140203_204423_zpsa1a94c8e.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/myakey/20140203_204320_zps40e17c6b.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/myakey/20140203_204306_zps8662aff9.jpg

coastal
02-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Awesome!

Edenchef
02-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Sweet!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

elKrusto
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Nice 30/30, I have a 1951 and a 1952

Rory McCanuck
02-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Gosh MH, you done good!
Looks very clean with no big bumps or bruises.
It looks like it may have been carried a mile or two, but obviously by someone who cared.

Mad Hatter
02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
So what is my best bet for a scout mount on this thing for an eventual scope?

Rory McCanuck
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Honestly, I don't know of a scout mount for the Winchester.
I've got a more traditional mount here, I'd have to look, but I think it just uses the two receiver sight holes and the pin hole plug to attach. Not sure about '54s, does it have the tapped holes on the driver's side?

Claven2
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Cool .30-30. I really like the Lever guns for carry in the bush.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d85/Claven2/Cowboy%20Guns/DSCN4527_zps0440e0ee.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Claven2/media/Cowboy%20Guns/DSCN4527_zps0440e0ee.jpg.html)

Mad Hatter
02-04-2014, 11:10 PM
It has one with a screw in it which seems to be holding nothing. I did find this one at Bronell's which fits the angle eject models.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/winchester-94-scout-mount-sku006000035-8-68.aspx?mc_id=200500&source=CJ&aid=7211223&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-CJ-_-10736784