PDA

View Full Version : Browning Buck Mark .22 Extractor Peening Chamber Face

Mad Hatter
12-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I have shot 330 rounds through my Buck Mark .22. On cleaning today I noticed that right where the extractor grabs onto the rim of the cartridge, it seems to be peening the edge of the chamber orifice where the recess it sits in meets it. There is a very thin wall here. Need I be concerned with this eventually affecting the ability of the rounds to feed into the chamber, or is this a normal break-in of contact surfaces?

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/myakey/ee6ec70c-b984-4998-a9ff-134fb57d883a_zpscf8d6b4b.jpg

road kill
12-29-2013, 06:06 AM
It doesn't appear to have hit enough to affect the chamber but i would let the dealer know it could become a problem. Myself i would probably clean up the extractor face with a bit of polishing.

webster
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
My Buckmark has some wear in the same area, not to the degree that yours does, though, and I've got way more ammo through it than 330 rounds. Mine also doesn't have the sharp edge that yours appears to have. Have you dropped the slide on an empty chamber a lot? I'm just thinking out loud here, but the extractor may be slamming into the thin metal there and causing some damage. I usually ride my slide forward if there is no round in the chamber.

Satain
12-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Hmm...
Odd and for such little rounds threw it I would bring it back were I bought it from and show them and see if I can get a replacement barrel.

Mad Hatter
12-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Hmm...
Odd and for such little rounds threw it I would bring it back were I bought it from and show them and see if I can get a replacement barrel.

Replacement barrel = new gun. It's fixed. The slide has been "dropped" onto an empty chamber, but very few times. I am going to keep an eye on it. Going to be putting another few hundred rounds through it in the next couple of weeks. Plenty of warranty left.

Satain
12-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Shouldn't mare it that bad though. The steel that the barrel is made from should be strong enough not to show these signs. That and the key slot for the extractor to rest in should make sure that this doesn't happen. I would keep an eye on the extractor and if it starts to fail or have issues you will know why.

webster
12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Shouldn't mare it that bad though. The steel that the barrel is made from should be strong enough not to show these signs. That and the key slot for the extractor to rest in should make sure that this doesn't happen. I would keep an eye on the extractor and if it starts to fail or have issues you will know why.

If you ease the slide forward slowly, you can see that the extractor does contact that part of the barrel slightly before the slide comes to a rest. It would seem like the extractor is harder steel than the barrel.

Strewth
12-31-2013, 04:08 PM
^It would be awful weird to spec an extractor harder than the steel of the barrel though? How's the extractor look? I dunno man. 330 rounds?

webster
01-02-2014, 08:10 PM
I agree it's weird. Mine's the same way, though. The wear is so minor I never noticed it till this thread, but my extractor looks fine.

Mad Hatter
01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I also checked the extractor and it looks fine, although extremely sharp. I'm going to chalk it up to normal right now and just keep an eye on it.

Mad Hatter
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
No appreciable change after putting between 500 and 600 rounds through it today. :) But then it suddenly started to FTF. Turns out that the site rail screws came loose. The site rail holds down the block that houses the firing pin assembly and recoil spring/rod assembly. Only the bottom end of the pin was making contact with the very edge of the cartridge rim. All fixed now with blue Locktite. Also explains why both times I had it out near the end of my session my accuracy seemed to be off compared to the beginning. Wiggly rear site. The front screw came loose the first time I shot it causing the rear site to self adjust. I discovered this during cleaning but did not use Locktite then.