PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 70

davejohansen
12-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Looking at my first hunting rifle and taking my father-in-law's advice (he's been hunting for over 50 years) is to buy a Winchester. The model 70 from what I can see is the only one offering either 308 or 30-06. From all reviews it a great rifle, so far so good. He also says to get a detachable magazine design in order to load quickly if I need to, problem now, as from what I can see the model 70 in an internal magazine. Has anyone converted theirs to a detachable type? Can it be done? Am I missing a Winchester model is either calibre they does have a detachable magazine?

Dave

JustBen
12-28-2013, 10:50 PM
The winchester model 70 is a great gun. I've never seen one with a detachable magazine. But with some practise, its just as quick to load up a rifle with an internal magazine.

Winchester used to make a lever (Model 88?) that is another great gun. I have one in .308 and it has a detachable magazine.

Mad Hatter
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
The winchester model 70 is a great gun. I've never seen one with a detachable magazine. But with some practise, its just as quick to load up a rifle with an internal magazine.

Winchester used to make a lever (Model 88?) that is another great gun. I have one in .308 and it has a detachable magazine.

Winchester has nothing in a lever .308 anymore. Shame. :( Browning's lever BLR however comes in just about every hunting calibre known to man, and has a detachable mag.

Gomgat
12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
While Winchester mod 70 is a great rifle be sure to look at the CZ 550 too. (I am biased since I owe 4 of them)

jwirecom109
12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Yes there is 1 way to make it detachable, its expensive and has to be imported from the states.

I have a model 70 I abandoned the idea of detachable mag after i saw the cost of aftermarket parts.