PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout the good, bad an ugly.

Gomgat
12-30-2013, 05:20 PM
After my rod got stuck.(there could be a joke in there somewhere I am sure) in my previous thread. I have vowed never to use a bore brush again.

I am interested in wipeout as a alternative and have never used it.
Care to discuss the pro's and cons of wipeout?
Also any tips on how you plug your barrel so that the wipeout will stay inside?

FALover
12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
As I mentioned in your other thread, use a nylon bore brush. Never can be a long time. I have never used Wipeout and it appears you already know how to plug a barrel!;D

jwirecom109
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I love wipe out but I run out alot

Mad Hatter
12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Also as per your last thread, the Otis cable system pulls the brush through the bore and there is no way the direction can be reversed to cause it to become stuck.

bettercallsaul
12-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Bore Snake.

road kill
12-31-2013, 07:19 AM
I've been using bore brushes for many years, never had a problem and will keep on using what works for me. I bought a bore snake for use in my su 16 when i want to give the barrel a cleaning but don't want to strip it down. Never used Wipeout as i have a large supply of CLP.

old30-06
12-31-2013, 09:29 AM
To seal the barrel when using Wipeout, I use: Breech end - action closed on a patch.
: Muzzle - foam ear plug inserted in barrel

Strewth
12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
For Wipeout I try to get a good seal at the muzzle with the black flange that comes with the can, and give a one second squirt (one-and, release) with the stock on the ground. When the foam appears at the chamber, I plug it with my pinky until it subsides a bit, and invert the rifle muzzle down on a piece of paper towel so I can see the blue drool out. I generally leave it for 24 hours. I really like Wipeout.
Still use a bronze brush on a Dewey rod though. Sometimes with a dip of Hoppes before the Wipeout if it's all fulgly with corrosive ammo leavings. After the Wipeout I pass through with bronze, and then wrap a nylon brush with a patch, or use an undersized bronze (worn, or a .22 brush).
Excepting the rifles I shoot surplus corrosive through, I don't clean the bore until accuracy falls off, YMMV.

DanO
01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
One of the things about foam action cleaners is that they work somewhat differently then left to rest in a barrel, as in an overnight soak.
The foam subsides and then puddles or pools in the lower part of the barrel, this is more noticeable when the cleaning is done in a horizontal state.
It is effectively clean one part of the barrel more aggressively than the upper side in this example.
Using a quality bronze or nylon brush aids in getting out the stubborn layers of carbon or copper that the soaking may not penetrate.
Wipe out is one of the new generation of bore cleaners base on water (Wipe out, Aqua Clean, Bore Tec Eliminator, 1st Choice Bore Cleaner) and a strong surfactant.
This type of cleaner has the ability to clean as well if not better then the traditional cleaners using ammonia and petroleum base carriers, without the strong odor normally associated with them.
While all these products have a rust inhibitor built into them, it is advisable to protect the bore after cleaning with something like Eezox or a light coating of oil.

444shooter
01-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Has anyone seen or used Patchout?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Metric Warrior
01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
To seal the barrel when using Wipeout, I use: Breech end - action closed on a patch.
: Muzzle - foam ear plug inserted in barrel

Great tip!

Arecam
01-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Never had a problem with a bore snake. Great for any action that lets you get good space between the barrel. Sucks for actions like the Mossberg 702 or the Norinco JW-14.

Redbearded1
01-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Also as per your last thread, the Otis cable system pulls the brush through the bore and there is no way the direction can be reversed to cause it to become stuck.

Making the patch slightly too big will jam it up though. I did that to my tavor before I even got to shoot it. I was able to get it unstuck eventually, But I am very careful if I use it now.