PDA

View Full Version : SHTF bedroom heating

Steveo9mm
12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
i was thinking of ways to add a wood burning fireplace to the main floor of a house that does not have an existing fireplace. without rebuilding half the house to instal a chimney. class A chimneys are external pipes outside the house but i know nothing of wood burning stoves.

then i started thinking.... ive got space heaters and electric fireplaces that work pretty good. i was wondering if they could be run off a solar panel. it would save a ton of storage space for wood. but again i know nothing of solar panelss. all i know is they have them at home depot.

any thoughts

Haywire1
01-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Space heaters and electric fireplaces are extremely inefficient. How solar works is the solar panels charge a battery bank, which supplies dc current which then goes through an inverter to convert it to ac current. If you are going to put in a wood stove, and are seriously considering it for shtf usage I do have a couple suggestions having more than a few years experience with wood.
Not knowing your floor plan, a couple generalities.
1) locate the woodstove in a central location, you can use some small fans to circulate the heat from room to room. The 12v auto ones will work, just not very efficiently, move less air.
2) locate the woodstove in the basement and install large floor grates. As heat rises, the upper areas such as bedrooms will be heated. Rooms will be cooler however and the basement very warm.
3) rather than actual wood heat, look into a wood fired boiler, install radiators in each room, and basically you have a heater in each room. Leaks can be an issue, as is pipe corrosion.
4) not to sure what the rules are here in alta but an outside wood furnace is also an option, not familiar with these but I know these work as a boiler from what I have read.
5) couple old log homes I have lived in growing up dated to the late 1800's. These had a wood cookstove to heat the kitchen and cook, a large wood stove in the living room, and usually a smaller one in the dining room.

Basically if the shtf for more than a couple days, as in teotwawki, the best solution would be to do as the early settlers did. Knock out some walls and use sheets etc as dividers. Most of the early houses were one massive room surrounding a central wood stove, with a cookstove in the kitchen. After that, more or less until the introduction of radiators and forced air systems, in houses with many rooms, lots of blankets and bedwarmers were used. I dont recommend a bedwarmer however, putting a pan of hot coals under the blankets is a rather bad idea.

blacksmithden
01-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Just remember this. If it generates heat, it uses a tremendous amount of electrical current. Doing it with solar panels and batteries will make installing 3 fireplaces look cheap. I put a wood stove in my basement a few years back. Did the job myself..all to code and inspected...that ran me just over 3 grand. To have someone put it in, you're probably looking at over 6 grand now. Contrary to popular belief, having a wood burning appliance for occasional use (the insurance companies look at 1 cord of wood per year or less as it not being used as a primary heating source) does not drive your insurance through the roof. They raised mine by $24 per YEAR if I remember correctly. They will want a WETT inspection done on it, and a copy of the original owners/installation manual for whatever wood burning stove you buy...basically, they want to make sure the manufacturers recommendations for clearances have been met. It's not the easiest process, but it can be done yourself. The easy way out...throw money at someone to do it for you....and no, that's not me. :) You're in the YEG area...check out the Wood Energy Store. I think there's 2 of them...the one on the south side is where rick65cat (from CGN) worked at one time...might still be there.

exmilitary
01-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Down blanet/comforter and a good woman. Flannel sheets are also a great choice too. In A SHTF situation, a quality sleeping bag is the best choice. Stuff your next to skin items under the bag to avoid condensation freeze. Essentially, winter camping rules apply. 10+ years of military winter exercises is my experience :)

Haywire1
01-01-2014, 02:22 AM
^^^ also why settlers and pioneers, and those in various war torn places today, sleep multiple people in a bed during the winter

Steveo9mm
01-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Down blanet/comforter and a good woman. Flannel sheets are also a great choice too. In A SHTF situation, a quality sleeping bag is the best choice. Stuff your next to skin items under the bag to avoid condensation freeze. Essentially, winter camping rules apply. 10+ years of military winter exercises is my experience :)

>:) more good women the better lol... I did exactly this when i lived in banff. Lived in a van in -20 to -30 weather. wasnt fun but it worked. I didnt know solar power was so unrealistic. Im looking to heat a room 13' x 9' with a window that can be opened leaving a 2.5 x 1.5 space for whatever needs be. exiting. ventilation etc, basicly im trying to think of a way to create a year round habitat / panic room aka gun room. or i could just be paranoid of zombie apocalypse.

lone-wolf
01-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Wood.
Solar panels for winter cold. Keep in mind, branches fall, there's ice & snow. You break a solar panel and things have gone sideways, do you know how to fix them? Or can you find replacements?

Haywire1
01-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Basically buddy, for shtf planning, look to how our great grandparents did things. Sure, there are modern tools and updates etc, but the basics will get you through whether heating a shelter or preparing food. Indoor plumbing, refridgeration, and electricity are modern conveniences. Humanity survived for thousands of years without it. Stick a space heater in it for now, if the shtf for real I dont think many firearms will be handled the way they are now anyhow.

Prince Jimmy
01-01-2014, 04:33 PM
>:) more good women the better lol... I did exactly this when i lived in banff. Lived in a van in -20 to -30 weather. wasnt fun but it worked. I didnt know solar power was so unrealistic. Im looking to heat a room 13' x 9' with a window that can be opened leaving a 2.5 x 1.5 space for whatever needs be. exiting. ventilation etc, basicly im trying to think of a way to create a year round habitat / panic room aka gun room. or i could just be paranoid of zombie apocalypse.

That is a pretty small space, you can buy wood burning appliances designed for boats [sigmarine] pretty much small wood stoves, or you could have one made out of a 20lb propane tank...but really it wouldn't be hard to keep it warm.

Waterloomike
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oa7ifmHm4U

tigrr
01-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Think pellet stove. Installation can be made for running off a generator.
SHTF senario you could create a door/hatch that the wood stove pipe just went out temporary to keep the place warm and do a little cooking.

tavares86
02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm going to give that flower pot idea a try, thanks for that.