PDA

View Full Version : CSA vs. CAI VZ58

bettercallsaul
01-02-2014, 01:44 PM
The only VZ58s available in Canada right now seem to be the Century Arms & Czech Small Arms copies. Which company makes the better VZ58?

Both offer a chrome lined, non-restricted rifle. I've heard great things about the CSA builds.

I know all about Century Arms, their reputation and their history. From what I've heard, the VZ2008 has improved quite a bit. I don't know anything about Czech Small Arms though. Could someone fill me in?

Czech Small Arms is actually in the Czech Republic, this is about all I know.

CZUB
01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
As you said, CSA make some Vz 58 rifles with a chrome lined barrel. As far as I'm aware, the CAI Vz 58 doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. Westrifle isn't advertising them as having chrome lined barrels and they're the ones bringing them in. No one has even received their CAI Vz 58 yet so a VS is completely unfair although I can understand the post as the excitement is building for a new Vz 58 to hit the market.

CSA is from Jablunka. Czech Republic. A small village of 2000 people located close to the Slovakian border. There have been a lot of issues reported with the CSA products such has over sized gas ports causing broken bolt carrier, broken firing pins, and now people are having issues with broken bolts. There seems to be a 20% failure rate for the CSA products but there warranty service is superb with 5 years. People have even had their whole gun replaced with a new one. One fellow in particular didn't like the AR stock on his new replacement Vz 58 and CSA sent him a side folder stock without question. I now own that persons AR-15 stock and I got it for cheap. ;)

I own a .223 CSA Vz 58 which is the one the SKS and CZUB Vz 58 fans love to hate. Mine has been flawless for 800 rounds. I owned a CZUB Vz 58 (AKA CZ-858) before this and I can't really say one is better than the other. They're both a Vz 58, they both function flawlessly when they work properly, and they both have their know issues. The CZ models use a military spec finish that is ugly yet durable well CSA use a nicer matte black finish that isn't so durable. The CAI Vz 58 is suppose to have the same type of finish as like a basic Remington 870 Express.

Hope that supplies you with some good info.

Happy Shooting.

bettercallsaul
01-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks CZUB.

I'm trying to decide between the CSA and CAI rifles. Both Target Wholesale & S&J Hardware claim the VZ2008 will be shipping with a chrome lined barrel, specifically for the Canadian market, but the CSA comes with a lot of the modernization accessories I'd end up buying anyways.

CZUB
01-05-2014, 12:37 AM
I had the CZUB Vz 58 and got tired of cleaning corrosive 7.62x39. All that cleaning probably wasn't helping the lifespan of the barrel in anyway. I sold it and purchased the CSA Vz 58 in .223 for the reason of non-corrosive ammo. I've started reloading too. Even though the .223 Vz 58 puts a dent in the brass case, its still use able. Best I've gotten with my .223 Vz 58 is 2.50" group but for some reason it took awhile to actually achieve that. I also always get a 5th shot flyer no mater how hard I try. The 5th shot flyer isn't as far away with 62gr ammo vs 55gr. Its like as if the barrel broke in or I the shooter got use to the rifle. Anyways, I can easily hit the 300 yard steel goat target at my range well standing with it. I set it to 300 meters but have to aim slightly higher than it. I really can't wait to see what it can do after I fine tune it with handloads.

This is my CSA Vz 58.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s660/MumblesMarbleMouth/010_zpsda53586e.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/MumblesMarbleMouth/media/010_zpsda53586e.jpg.html)

BlackthorneMedia
01-05-2014, 07:26 AM
A word to lifespan of the non chrome lined barrels (shooting corrosive). I have had a few VZs with over 50,000 rounds, and as high as 85,000 (my current is probably about 30,000) with no appreciable change in accuracy.

I have never owned a chrome lined version. Are they measurably more accurate? Or is it just a maintenance thing to have the chrome lined barrel for folks.

lone-wolf
01-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Are they measurably more accurate?

Going completely by internet talk, chromed lined barrels are supposed to be less accurate, but easier to clean. I tend to doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Satain
01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Waiting for the new 1 to come in from triple B. Then I hope it will be the best of the litter.

bettercallsaul
01-07-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't think I'll be able to afford one for a few more months, I've run into some cash flow problems. I'm going to keep my ears open for the Century Arms and how it does.

Plasticman
08-27-2014, 12:03 PM
I'd like to hear some updates from people who own either the CSA or the CAI.
Going to be purchasing one or the other in the next couple of months.

Daniel_250r
08-27-2014, 10:08 PM
A word to lifespan of the non chrome lined barrels (shooting corrosive). I have had a few VZs with over 50,000 rounds, and as high as 85,000 (my current is probably about 30,000) with no appreciable change in accuracy.

I have never owned a chrome lined version. Are they measurably more accurate? Or is it just a maintenance thing to have the chrome lined barrel for folks.

Please post detailed pictures for us of the internals because i call bs

Plasticman
08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
For those of us that are interested. This is a great review. And explains why the CSA is over all a better rifle than the CAI. apparently Century Arms has a bad reputation down south.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/joe-grine/gun-review-czech-vzor-58/

Steggosaurus
08-29-2014, 11:28 PM
I just made an account on here just because of your question. I bought a CSA 7.62x39 VZ58 with chrome lined barrel a few months back, couldn't be happier. I have spent thousands on single guns, but this is my favourite I own, the accuracy I get out of it is much better than I expected. I can hit a roughly 1.5 inch group at 90 yards. My gun has never jammed once and the quality of it is some of the best I've seen. All the parts inside are very solid and well machined, although I've heard not everyone is as happy with CSA as I am, I'd recommend it highly.

Malus
08-30-2014, 08:17 AM
I have a CSA in 7.62 and have maybe put just over a thousand rounds through it. Not a problem yet. My kid loves it (his favorite) and its the one rifle I always take when I go to the bush or range. I don't know about the other guys VZ, so I really can't compare the differences. I'd recommend one..

Samurai
02-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Stores in my area don't have any chromed lined collapsible stock 7.62x39 VZ58s in stock. I decided on the 7.62x39 since I have a collection of SKSs and like the availability and cheaper ammo.
After reading different posting on various sites about the problems with the VZ58s and service problems with the distributor; I was getting cold feet.
This thread with the positive feedbacks seems to give me the notion that it is a "hit and miss" affair whether you get a functioning rifle or not.
Hope, when I get a CSA VZ58, I will be happy.....

kennymo
02-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Holding out for Wolverine's CZ 958 to hit the market here, fingers crossed.... :)