PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought a metal magazine for my SKS. After I saw the total screw that!

Nelson84
01-04-2014, 09:52 PM
I found a 30 round magazine pinned to 5 rounds for $59. Okay no big deal then I added the taxes $2.95 no big deal then I added the shipping just over $13. The total is just over $74!!!! Screw that the SKS didn't cost much more than that! Probably won't function as good as the stock magazine anyway. By the way that was the cheapest magazine I could find.

mr_jonny
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I have used sks mags.... went back to stripper clips. Found that after you use the clips for awhile I could get to 40 rounds per minute. With the canadian law of 5 , what is the point of mags for the sks?

Sadosubliminal
01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Ah, it's just for cool factor. I have a few tapco mags (20 bucks a piece is what I paid for them) and I honestly find them less user friendly than the stock box mag with strippers. I could never get the stripper clips to work fluidly with the aftermarket mags, but I wanted one tacticrapped SKS and one stock, so I bought 2 Russian refurbs and went balls deep with one of them. Too bad everyone and his dog has a Crapco'd SKS now. It used to look different, now they're a dime a dozen.

Nelson84
01-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Ah, it's just for cool factor. I have a few tapco mags (20 bucks a piece is what I paid for them) and I honestly find them less user friendly than the stock box mag with strippers. I could never get the stripper clips to work fluidly with the aftermarket mags, but I wanted one tacticrapped SKS and one stock, so I bought 2 Russian refurbs and went balls deep with one of them. Too bad everyone and his dog has a Crapco'd SKS now. It used to look different, now they're a dime a dozen.

I just bought 2 more SKS I plan to go balls deep with one once I get them in the mail. Just have to figuire on which stock: tapco, dragunov, archangel, ATI.

Sadosubliminal
01-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Go with the Archangel, it looks great.

A corrupted individual
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Worst part about the archangel is the price, for 199.99 you could just buy another sks.

mlehto
01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
I have a couple Tapco's that work well.

I do find myself top loading them when at the bench, but if you want the cool factor they are the way to go.

I have owned the steel version and they are too long, and required modification to fit. Not worth the cash IMHO.

lone-wolf
01-05-2014, 01:59 PM
The vz58 has detachable magazines and I end up using one magazine with stripper clips most of the time.
The tapco mag I had in my sks seemed to work well. Expect for that pesky rivet in it, stupid thing.

Haywire1
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM
$74 lol. I have i dunno, way more into mine, lol. just the machining and custom brake was 400 or so

5 promag 5 round magazines, 100
murrays spring loaded firing pin 50
wolf trigger spring, murrays sear, hammer and trigger 50
extended mag release 15
various machining, custom muzzle brake, 400
max wedge rail, 130
red dot 50
blue print entire rifle to original design specs, my time, but i dunno, another 100 at a smith

some say its a $200 gun, why bother, my take is its a $200 gun, so if i botch it up, i am out $200, not a few thousand. more time to play lol

bettercallsaul
01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
I don't understand the hesitation to put more money into a rifle you paid $200 for. The fact that the rifle is so cheap is a perfect reason to mod it up. If you want, buy 2 and keep one original like others have.

Haywire1
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
exactly my point. down in the US, sks are harder to come by, so there is a lot of pressure against modding them, here, dime a dozen, every place that sells rifles has a case or two of sks's for usually under 200. so why not?

A corrupted individual
01-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Bought a tapco mag for 40bucks in a small hunting store, definitely not the best deal but I like to support small businesses. The magazine fit in my 1953 russian with no modification. Although I did sand a little bit as it was slightly stiff.

bettercallsaul
01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
exactly my point. down in the US, sks are harder to come by, so there is a lot of pressure against modding them, here, dime a dozen, every place that sells rifles has a case or two of sks's for usually under 200. so why not?

They have a dozen of them at Canadian Tire for $200 each. lol

Haywire1
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah I meant each. Lots of places have them for even less.eithor or, still a cheap fun gun to play with

lone-wolf
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Down in the US, yugos are a dime a piece(and bubba has a go at a lot of them). Ruskies, and chinese are our dimes now. Although not long ago ruskies were rarer.

Mikthaniel
01-05-2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.leverarms.com/sks-parts-accessories/norinco-sks-d-ak-5-rd-magazine.html

Nelson84
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah I meant each. Lots of places have them for even less.eithor or, still a cheap fun gun to play with

It's a cheap gun gun but some folks get anal about year they are made and if its a tula or not. Still a cheap gun.

lone-wolf
01-05-2014, 06:02 PM
It's priced cheap, they are definitely not made cheap.

biker_boy
01-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Agreed cheap to buy.

mlehto
01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Down in the US, yugos are a dime a piece(and bubba has a go at a lot of them). Ruskies, and chinese are our dimes now. Although not long ago ruskies were rarer.

Not sure what your talking about?

A Yugo in similar shape to the non refurbs we get goes for closer to $500 just over the river.

I'll take a $200 non refurb laminate all day over that!

mlehto
01-06-2014, 06:58 PM
http://www.leverarms.com/sks-parts-accessories/norinco-sks-d-ak-5-rd-magazine.html

Did you read the big bold print that says...

Norinco SKS-D / AK 5 Rd MagazineTHESE MAGAZINES ONLY FIT THE CHINESE SKS-D MODEL AND AK 47 RIFLES

ReignCzech
01-06-2014, 07:39 PM
yeah the metal sks standard duckbill mags are a bit on the expensive side now eh?

I have a nickel plated blade bayonet tula parade/honour guard sks handed down to me, which I won't shoot nor change out the mags for a tapco or metal.
the others are an sks-m thumbhole stock, and the chinese sks-d.

AK mags are just as and more expensive, then the duckbill, when buying single, and lots of 5-10 or more there's a savings from retailers in canada.
I wish direct buying in bulk from south korea kyungChang Industries was still an option, without having to register a company/business and import export import red tape as it is now.
Though if one would search, there's middle men (china) that ship direct to canada, pinned, for a lot cheaper, than retail mark-up here. just sayin'

A corrupted individual
01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
yeah the metal sks standard duckbill mags are a bit on the expensive side now eh?

I have a nickel plated blade bayonet tula parade/honour guard sks handed down to me, which I won't shoot nor change out the mags for a tapco or metal.
the others are an sks-m thumbhole stock, and the chinese sks-d.

AK mags are just as and more expensive, then the duckbill, when buying single, and lots of 5-10 or more there's a savings from retailers in canada.
I wish direct buying in bulk from south korea kyungChang Industries was still an option, without having to register a company/business and import export import red tape as it is now.
Though if one would search, there's middle men (china) that ship direct to canada, pinned, for a lot cheaper, than retail mark-up here. just sayin'

PICS PICS PICS!!!!

Nelson84
01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
PICS PICS PICS!!!!

Ya WTH! I want to see!!!!!

lone-wolf
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM

A Yugo in similar shape to the non refurbs we get goes for closer to $500 just over the river.

See used prices under $300. Prices must of went up(or $300 is cheap) cause I remember cringing at the yugos being bubba'd cause they were cheap as they told me. Maybe they're kicking themselves now.
I bought and sold a m59 for $350, then marstar brought more in shortly after(months) for $500. Crazy.

Mikthaniel
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Did you read the big bold print that says...

Nope, was just supplying information for the person with a stake in it to sort out...

Nelson84
01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Money is tight I just don't want to F up and buy a mag that doesn't function properly.

Nelson84
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Ya those Yugos in my opinion are overrated. If they are in such demand one of us should buy the tooling and setup shop in Mexico and rip off a few million Yugos and give every canadian gun collector one for $160 a piece.

Satain
01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Once you do the bolt mod detachable mags are fun but to bad about the hole 5 round bs really takes the advantages of it away.

A corrupted individual
01-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Has anybody done this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYkzU7fqx7s

Nelson84
01-12-2014, 06:01 PM
If you go with tapco mags you have to mess with the wood to get them to fit? Or are they just snug?

A corrupted individual
01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
The tapco fit in my russian sks without modification but was kind of tight, I sanded some wood away though so it would go in and out more smoothly. It won't drop free however.

Nelson84
01-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Just ordered 2 metal magazines 5/30 rounds. Since there is no plastic on my SKS I thought I better go metal mag along with the metal vented hand guard.

No what else can I add to the wood stocked SKS? Get a rear sight mount and a red dot?

A corrupted individual
01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
A tritium front sight wuld be a nice touch.

Satain
01-16-2014, 12:35 AM
A tritium front sight wuld be a nice touch.
http://stores.polytechparts.com/