PDA

View Full Version : Savage mod 10TR .308 mil/LEO offer?

harbl_the_cat
01-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Anyone else see this offer?

http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=269_593&products_id=3366

Any thoughts?

zulu
01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
I think its a great deal. id jump on it if i didn't have other things already on the go. Even thought about selling my btc for it.

awndray
01-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I saw that a few days ago. I like it. I've been meaning to get a similar rig for a few years. This might be a good opportunity to do that.

Drache
01-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Sadly Im not military or law enforcement so I can't place an order :(

harbl_the_cat
01-08-2014, 09:13 AM
I ordered one. Have to dig up my release certificate.

awndray
01-08-2014, 09:16 AM
I don't have my release certificate, but Ryan mentioned on the other board that the service number alone would be sufficient. We'll see.

awndray
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Try this guy.

Hey
I'm not going through all the threads to see if this has already been covered.
I believe you can purchase more than one of these and if so and if anybody
other that LE/Mil wants to purchase one from me I'll sell it for the same price
plus any shipping charges of course. PM me if interested

I'm pretty sure I'll be placing an order for one. You really can't go wrong at that price. Worse case, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can get my money back and then some.

harbl_the_cat
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Well, I found my old ROE from when I released - so I'll send that just to be safe.

harbl_the_cat
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for a $500ish scope that could take this gun out to 800 yards?

Sabio
01-09-2014, 08:10 AM

These have been available in the U.S for awhile. No Elitist programs to get one.
IRUN GUNS has a 20" and 18" version. I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.....

It's not really anything special, just saving $50.

I think one of my last posts on CGN was that you can get them at IRUN.
I guess some one hated me bursting the "We're special" bubble.

awndray
01-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for a $500ish scope that could take this gun out to 800 yards?

Vortex Viper?

harbl_the_cat
01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
These have been available in the U.S for awhile. No Elitist programs to get one.
IRUN GUNS has a 20" and 18" version. I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.....

It's not really anything special, just saving $50.

I think one of my last posts on CGN was that you can get them at IRUN.
I guess some one hated me bursting the "We're special" bubble.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8fcgx_TXpzP91cWr6ePKxN_doyVERH yNNHAVK4RNKTStMYgrf

Were you banned too?

I don't see them on iRUNGUNS, but that's ok. I was in the market for a .308 and I guess impulse and SFRC's newsletter made the sale :)

Vortex Viper?

I was leaning that way, or a Bushnell Elite.

I'm hearing Leupold is a bit overpriced/undervalued. I guess 800 is pushing it a bit, I think 500 is more realistic unfortunately... there's just no where around here to shoot that far :(

awndray
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I was in the market for a .308 and I guess impulse and SFRC's newsletter made the sale :)
Ha! Same. I've not sure the savings is only $50, but either way, it's a good price if you compare to the rest of the Savage LE line of rifles.

I was leaning that way, or a Bushnell Elite.

I'm hearing Leupold is a bit overpriced/undervalued. I guess 800 is pushing it a bit, I think 500 is more realistic unfortunately... there's just no where around here to shoot that far :(
I've read the same about Leupold. I've tried one and the glass is really nice, but the glass in my Elite 3200 isn't all that bad. I've also contemplated a Zeiss Conquest (I've tried one, and they're great), but at that price range, I don't think it comes with turrets. More research is required.

JustBen
01-09-2014, 10:42 AM

If I was in the market for another $500 scope, I'd get another Zeiss Terra. You're just over 500 for a 4-12 with the RZ8 reticle.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/56438/zeiss-terra-riflescopes

harbl_the_cat
01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
For S&G's I mounted this little puppy on my Marlin X7 .308 and rand 60 rounds through it.

http://dx.com/p/6-24-50-gd-zooming-reflex-laser-sight-rifle-scope-with-gun-mount-red-green-laser-configurable-13012#

At 50 yards, I was able to consistently get 0.75-1" groups through it. The glass looks pretty clear, but I don't know how it would hold up to adverse weather conditions or a higher round count. I also wasn't too sure if the turrets were 1/8MOA, and the objective lens adjustment isn't quite properly aligned. I also think the reticle spacing at max power is about 2 MOA (eyeballed at 50 yards) - but there was no documentation saying what they were.

I have no illusions about this thing - but when it comes to scopes, I like the reliability and performance of having a good, high end scope, but I also like finding those odd diamond's in the rough that surprise the heck out of me.

http://dx.com/p/6-24-50-gd-zooming-reflex-laser-sight-rifle-scope-with-gun-mount-red-green-laser-configurable-13012

I think for this Savage though, I want a high end scope.

harbl_the_cat
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
W00t w00t! E-mail today saying order is processing... darn... now I REALLY have to get a scope...

awndray
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
LOL! Same here. I've been reading too much on scopes (see Optics section) and all I'm doing is making it harder for me to choose.

harbl_the_cat
01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
What are you leaning towards?

awndray
01-15-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it's the marketing or all the positive reviews I've been reading, but Vortex Viper. The problem of course is which model exactly - PST or others - and FFP vs SFP. I have Bushnell Elite glass on two rifles. They're good to me, but I do wonder about the Vortex. It looks like a hell of a product. If only some local shops had some in stock for me to test one.

harbl_the_cat
01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
It breaks my budget a bit, but being the impulsive sod I am, I think I'll check this guy out next time I'm at TSE:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/viper-hs-lr-6-24x50-ffp-with-xlr-moa-reticle

awndray
01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
AAAaaah...damn you! :p

That was one of my contenders. For a while I was thinking 6-24 would be too much, so I decided that 4-16 would be fine. But then I kept thinking, I can always dial it down, but I can't add more than what is given. My understanding is, going high mag is where FFP could be a an advantage since you would have to make any fancy calculations if you plan on using hold-overs at lower magnifications, whearas SFP would require you to keep it maxed out if you didn't want to do the math.

Barrycuda
01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
It is also available at Frontier Firearms in Saskatchewan for the same price. $599.00. Seems to be an excellent buy if your LEO/MIL.

harbl_the_cat
01-16-2014, 11:44 AM
It is also available at Frontier Firearms in Saskatchewan for the same price. $599.00. Seems to be an excellent buy if your LEO/MIL.

Frontier is only selling to active/current LEO/Mil. SFRC was selling to vets (and rejects - like me).

harbl_the_cat
01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Booyah!

Shipping notice!

yorg
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Been using an M10 for the last couple of years, good 4-12 Leupold scope, bull barrel and excellent trigger, hit a couple of gongs at 600 yards last DM shoot. This rifle you all are talking about looks sweet, but now I'm wondering about a new Zeiss scope...

awndray
01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
My order is finally being processed. :)

chalkriver
01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Just sent in my order to Frontier as retired military & LEO qualify at Frontier and SFRC now ....;D

harbl_the_cat
01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
So I checked out the vortex FFP and it's not for me. At lowest power, I can't make out the retical amd at max power, the retical is too thick for me.

I think I'll stick with a SFP.

awndray
01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Mine is finally in the mail!

harbl_the_cat
01-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Mine is finally in the mail!

Mine too. I guess they just put the shipping labels on last week and shipped them out this week.

awndray
01-30-2014, 12:35 PM
So I checked out the vortex FFP and it's not for me. At lowest power, I can't make out the retical amd at max power, the retical is too thick for me.

I think I'll stick with a SFP.

I had a peek through a Leupold Mark FFP. I didn't mind it, but I'm not sure I really need it. I mean, I'd like to use it but I'll mostly be shooting from fixed locations at fixed targets of known sizes. SFP will be fine until I come into some extra money and decide to take the plunge.

BTW, can anybody confirm who makes the rail on the 10 TR? I've read that it's an EGW, but some claim it might not be. Some people claim it's a 20MOA and others say it's not. Anybody know for sure? On a related note, I have a the EGW 20MOA rail for my Mark II. I still haven't installed it.

awndray
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
IT'S HERE! :D

:shoot2:

Satain
01-31-2014, 10:09 AM
IT'S HERE! :D

:shoot2:
:pics:

awndray
01-31-2014, 10:11 AM
HA! I was expecting that. The box is on the kitchen table. I'm stuck at work. Pics will be posted soon. :)

harbl_the_cat
01-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Blah... Mine is supposed to arrive Monday...

I caved though on a vortex HS 4-16x50 BDC MOA.

awndray
02-01-2014, 11:18 AM
:pics:

Tada!

http://i60.tinypic.com/ibz0qh.jpg

I caved though on a vortex HST 4-16x50 BDC MOA.

What made you go with a BDC? I'm considering the HS-T with VMR-1 MRAD. I'm still reading up on reticles to see which will better suit my needs.

harbl_the_cat
02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Tada!

http://i60.tinypic.com/ibz0qh.jpg

What made you go with a BDC? I'm considering the HS-T with VMR-1 MRAD. I'm still reading up on reticles to see which will better suit my needs.

That's a nice looking box... :)

I went with the BDC thinking I'll probably shoot it out to 500 max, and maybe at metallic silhouette.

I found the PST MOA reticle too busy, the FFP one too small at low magnification, too big at full magnification. I liked the simplicity of the BDC too - since out of the box, I want to be able to hit minute of deer out to 500 yards, with no calculations, but at the same time, I liked the capped, spring zeroed elevation turret so if I needed to make elevation calculations, I still could.

awndray
02-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Pics will be posted soon. :)

Okay, here are some better pictures...of the actual thing. GOC admins, I took the liberty of adding a watermark in case people decide to share these pictures on other sites. I hope you don't mind.

http://i60.tinypic.com/30diddy.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/71jon5.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2wedvro.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/4jnswn.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2yw7al5.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/21d5j7.jpg

First impressions? The stock feels...meh. It's plastic. It doesn't feel as cheap as the Norinco M305 plastic stock, but it's plastic nonetheless. The finish is good. There is already some marring and discoloration on the business end of the bolt and by the receiving end of the receiver. No big deal though. The action isn't as smooth as I was expecting. It feels like a $600 gun so far. I certainly wouldn't compare it to the Tikka T3 Hunter I recently had the pleasure of fondling. Having said that, I can't wait to go try it out.

awndray
02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
BTW, can anybody confirm who makes the rail on the 10 TR? I've read that it's an EGW, but some claim it might not be. Some people claim it's a 20MOA and others say it's not. Anybody know for sure? On a related note, I have a the EGW 20MOA rail for my Mark II. I still haven't installed it.

Upon taking a look at the base, it's engraved with EGW 109150. According to some Googling, people are saying it's EGW Part #4100 (https://egwguns.com/wecs.php?store=232536056986&action=display&target=41000), which is the 0 MOA base. This doesn't really matter to me at the moment because I probably won't be shooting any further than 500 for a while.

harbl_the_cat
02-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Cool... How much does it weigh?

awndray
02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
My scale is packed in a box, but by feel, I would guess 8 or 9 pounds. It's very well balanced. It wouldn't be a problem to walk around with this slinged on a shoulder all day. Holding it in an standing/offhand position is easy - not tiring at all.

I must say however, having fiddled with it for a few minutes, the bolt doesn't impress me. It's got quite a bit of play in it and it jams up. It's not smooth at all. I find even my Savage Mark II is smoother than this. I'll have to post a video so I can show what I mean. We'll have to compare. It's starting to feel less like the $600 rifle I first unboxed. More to follow...

harbl_the_cat
02-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Aww... What a buzzkill. I guess I'll have to do a toe to toe with my Marlin XL7 once it lands.

harbl_the_cat
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Well I got 20 minutes to play around with mine and I see what you mean, Awndray, with the bolt. It does feel a bit gritty, but I think I think I'll suspend judgement until good cleaning, a few rounds, and a bit of cycling.

Certainly, my Marlin (xs, not xl) has a smoother action - although I do like that massive bolt handle - it's definitely designed to be shot with a glove on.

Also, this thing is a beast for weight - very front heavy - and I think if I'm humping it through the bush, I'll take the Marlin.

As for the stock, it's interesting to see how it is bedded.

I think it will be a fun gun to shoot...

I noticed TSE had 10 round mags in stock. A bit pricey, but I think it would be cool to be packing 10 rounds of .308.

awndray
02-04-2014, 05:56 AM
I found the weight a non-issue, but that might be because I'm used to the heavy Norinco M305.

A 10-round mag would be nice. I sure hope a few cycles and cleaning help. Otherwise, I'm selling it and buying a Tikka.

harbl_the_cat
02-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Funny you mention the m305.

My only time out hunting was a week in Manitoba as with a buddy from university, and I packed a M305.

Call me a wuss, but After the 3rd day my arms were so tired I started pushing bush with my DA backpacker.

awndray
02-05-2014, 01:13 PM
So, I brought up my concern with Jerry at Mystic Precision seeing as he is known to be a Savage guru. Here's what he has to say.

This is a factory Savage action. Bolt timing will help smooth bolt lift and operation. I charge $65 for this.

The bolt moves freely in the receiver as designed. Tight has no place in an action that will see weather. Tight lock up is all that matters and I am sure your action works like any other Savage... very well.

Fit finish sound typical of a Savage rifle. They work, are robust and shoot great.

Run the Savage a bit and the action slicks up. Lube in the right places really help to. I get to play with custom actions all the time. A broken in Savage with proper bolt timing runs as well as the best custom actions and better then some entry brands.

People don't believe me until they cycle my rifles and go... WOW.

The genetics of the Savage is fantastic. The actual product is limited by Joe worker and production quotas.

Nothing a little TLC can't resolve and you will be impressed.

That sounds reasonable to me. I will keep bolt timing in mind as a possible upgrade, but for now I will start by taking it to the range to break it in. For a silky smooth glass-like action, I will re-consider buying the Tikka I've been eyeing for quite some time.

A corrupted individual
02-05-2014, 01:24 PM
So, I brought up my concern with Jerry at Mystic Precision seeing as he is known to be a Savage guru. Here's what he has to say.

That sounds reasonable to me. I will keep bolt timing in mind as a possible upgrade, but for now I will start by taking it to the range to break it in. For a silky smooth glass-like action, I will re-consider buying the Tikka I've been eyeing for quite some time.

I handled a tikka t3 and wasn't impressed at all, the action didn't feel smooth to me at all, at least with the one I had handled.

zulu
02-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Awndre, i brought up your statment with a gun smith i work with and (just because i plan to buy the tr and was concerned with what u experienced) he told me the same thing jerry told you and he is a remington guy.

awndray
02-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I handled a tikka t3 and wasn't impressed at all, the action didn't feel smooth to me at all, at least with the one I had handled.
The T3 Hunter I handled was smooth as butter. It doesn't compare to my buddy's Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter. That thing is dreamy!

Awndre, i brought up your statment with a gun smith i work with and (just because i plan to buy the tr and was concerned with what u experienced) he told me the same thing jerry told you and he is a remington guy.
I'm kind of glad to hear that. I was first a little troubled that nobody else understood what I was saying, but words from a smith are encouraging.

harbl_the_cat
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Well - I'll (finally) be putting a few rounds down range this weekend - 50 yards at TSE - but that discourse goes as I thought - break it in.

Doesn't look like there's any vids on Youtube about it - but here's IraqVeteran8888 with a Model 10 Precision Car-bean... Not the same thing, I know - but it's fun watching other people shoot...

Anyone know where I can order 500 rounds of PMC .308 (for plinking at steel?) or have any recommendations for bulk non-steel core/case .308?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqWvv7j_M3o

harbl_the_cat
02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I also don't know that I'm going to get much of a chance to do much reloading in the next few months, but does anyone have any thoughts about buying match ammo in bulk,

i.e:

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/details/10123/Federal-Premium-Gold-Medal-Match-308-Win-175-Grain-Sierra-Matchking-BTHP-200-Round-Case.aspx

For break in and rough sight in I'd like to shoot cheap ammo, but I'd also like to try running some match grade ammo through it too... $2/round though, I don't know if I can justify shooting that at 50 yards without a chrony.

harbl_the_cat
02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Also a video about the Mod 10. I can't tell - but the bolt handle looks like the same as the TR.

I like his sight in procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVDu1EARBc

awndray
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I've seen both those videos. The bolt in that second video comes standard with the 110BA. It might have been an upgrade on that particular rifle.

I don't think I'll have time to reload at all this year. It's depressing. I bought the press last year and everything is still in its original box. I need a couple small things to get started, but what I need most is time. I might be interested in splitting a bulk order of match ammo, though shipping might push the cost a little high.

zulu
02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Is that rail steel on the 10tr

awndray
02-06-2014, 03:14 PM
6061 aluminum - https://egwguns.com/wecs.php?store=232536056986&action=display&target=41000

harbl_the_cat
02-06-2014, 04:54 PM
I've seen both those videos. The bolt in that second video comes standard with the 110BA. It might have been an upgrade on that particular rifle.

I don't think I'll have time to reload at all this year. It's depressing. I bought the press last year and everything is still in its original box. I need a couple small things to get started, but what I need most is time. I might be interested in splitting a bulk order of match ammo, though shipping might push the cost a little high.

Yeah I think it might be cost prohibitive to do a split order - I think shipping ammo is crazy expensive :(

I'm in the same boat though with reloading. All my gear is setup and I've loaded lots before (my Pro 1000 could pump out .45 right now if I got the chance), and I have a mix of about 50 once fired cases of .308, cleaned, trimmed, full length sized, primed and ready to go - I just can't find time to sit down and load them all up.

Does anyone know if bad things happen if you run surplus 7.62x51 through a rifle like this, i.e: http://frontierfirearms.ca/ammunition-reloading/chinese-7-62x51-fmj-308-win-1040-rounds.html

Also, does anyone know if these guys are steel case/steel core?

Or this:

http://frontierfirearms.ca/ammunition-reloading/mfs-308-win-145-grain-fmj-500-rounds.html

Drache
02-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know if bad things happen if you run surplus 7.62x51 through a rifle like this

In simple terms nothing bad will happen. I ran some in one of my brand new Savage 10 rifles and the bolt was a bitch to open after firing. Whether that was just that batch of ammo I don't know.

chalkriver
02-07-2014, 07:15 AM
It will work fine ....the copper washed Norinco ammo is actually pretty good .
I have fired a couple hundred rounds out of my rem 700 SPS and about 500 out of M-305,s you just cant reload it.
I had Hungry laughing at me until he saw how well it shot at lasts years precision clinic. It was the only ammo I had as I got into reloading after that.

awndray
02-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I find that copper washed Norinco pretty decent. I've shot a few clips worth (yes, clips :p) through the M305.

Drache
02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
maybe it's just me but 145gr seems kinda light for a precision rig no? Generally I run 168 or 175. I tried running 150gr and found my Savage 10 threw them all over the place compared to the 168gr.

awndray
02-07-2014, 08:53 AM
It's not just you.

Drache
02-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Wow it's started, the sale of these guns for profit :p

Lets see they are listed at:
$850
$900
$850
$750

Don't people understand that if you wait, eventually Savage will sell them to the public? :D

harbl_the_cat
02-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Wow it's started, the sale of these guns for profit :p

Lets see they are listed at:
$850
$900
$850
$750

Don't people understand that if you wait, eventually Savage will sell them to the public? :D

Whose selling them?

Drache
02-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Whose selling them?

Just searching through the EE on the other site.

Personally I will NEVER buy a brand new gun again! Had too many times when I bought a gun and was one of the first in Canada to get one and had the thing end up being a lemon! So I certainly wouldn't spend that kind money on a new rifle especially when the world knows exactly what they ordered it for!

JustBen
02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Anything for a profit!

harbl_the_cat
02-08-2014, 09:48 PM
So it was utter pandemonium on Deerfoot trail this morning - about a dozen accidents by about 9am. Mrs. Harbl the Cat gave me until noon to go shooting. I wanted to check out WSS's sale this weekend (I ended up buying a Viper PST 1-4x20 and a Sparc for my Nork CQ and T97).

Before I left, I went into my bunker and pulled out a can of mixed .308.

At TSE - to my surprise, about 6 other rifle shooters showed up, giving me an opportunity to take inventory of my ammo cache. I had about 40 rounds of surplus, South African M80 spec, 7.62x51. I ended up shooting only these.

I also had 100 rounds of a weird load from 2 years go (150 gn 30-30 flat nose bullets, mixed brass), as well as 80 rounds 150 gn a FMJ, and 20 rounds of 220 gn SPs.

I took my caliper and measured my scope centreline to be about 1.75" over the barrel, so I plugged in the specs for a 100 yard zero on iSnipe on my phone.

Unfortunately, I didn't read it right, and thought it said -0.2 inches at 25 yards, so I bore sighted it in pretty much to be spot on at 25 yards (the lower set of shots - each one was an individual shot at the centre X on the target, followed by an adjustment. Once I was on, I did a little confirmation at 25, on the dot on the right (the black).

iSnipe says a 25 yard zero would leave me about 1.4" high at 50 yards... And when I pushed it out, my 3-shot group was about 1.75" high on centre. (Group 1 and 2 had the same point of aim, the little black dot).

By about that time it started getting really cold in the range, and wearing only my hoodie and my little pony short, I was starting to get shaky. It was so cold inside, I could see my breath.

http://instagram.com/p/kLcQLDHaHr/

Also, all around me guys were shooting their PDWs, 30-06's and 9mm (more power to them), and I was starting to work up a finch and rushing my shots. It was getting on to 11 by then, so I just figured I'd blast them off in a hurry.

I can't copy the image URL from my ipad, so I'll have to link it directly:

http://instagram.com/p/kLb8-SHaHH/

http://instagram.com/p/kLcGsdHaHY/

I figure this is a rough sight in, break in, and practice, so I wasn't too miffed by the results.

I found the weight of the gun makes it a dream to shoot. When I shoot my Marlin XS7 in .308, I find it just beats me up and after 20 rounds in quick succession, I start getting really sore and have a hard time keeping focus. Not so, with the 10TR - and actually, I felt a lot more confident shooting it than any other rifle I have.

Also, the action wasn't very smooth, chambering, but it wasn't unbearable or caused any feeding problems - I think more of a breakin is merited. I think the bolt handle is so large to accommodate operating with gloves, or to avoid fumbling under extreme duress.

This also sold me on vortex optics. I'm running the 4-16x50 viper HS, and I'm quite impressed by how it zeroed. A lot of lower end scopes I have, need a lot of guess work on adjusting the turrets, but the Viper HS adjusted as I expected it would.

All in all, I'm very happy with this setup. I can't wait to try it out to 200 next go around!

Drache
02-13-2014, 05:14 PM
There has now been a couple of these guns sent back to Savage for Warranty work! Seems people are reporting problems like the guns shooting FEET off their mark at 100 yards! So all owners should check this out ASAP!

This is why I will NEVER buy a brand new design from Savage. Had the same problem with my Savage 10FCP-SR

harbl_the_cat
02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
There has now been a couple of these guns sent back to Savage for Warranty work! Seems people are reporting problems like the guns shooting FEET off their mark at 100 yards! So all owners should check this out ASAP!

This is why I will NEVER buy a brand new design from Savage. Had the same problem with my Savage 10FCP-SR

Guess I'll have to take it out to the 200 yard rifle range this weekend. What kind of zero were those folks using?

Drache
02-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Guess I'll have to take it out to the 200 yard rifle range this weekend. What kind of zero were those folks using?

ok one stated he bore sighted and took his first shots at 30 and couldn't hit and another was 35 yards. the gun was off by AT LEAST a couple feet up/down AND left/right (at 100 yards)

harbl_the_cat
02-13-2014, 06:37 PM
ok one stated he bore sighted and took his first shots at 30 and couldn't hit and another was 35 yards. the gun was off by AT LEAST a couple feet up/down AND left/right (at 100 yards)

Maybe I lucked out, I bore slighted mine out to 25, was 3" off, sighted in at 25, corrected at 50, and wasn't able to make a stellar grouping, but was on paper at least.

harbl_the_cat
02-16-2014, 05:04 PM
So I bought 20 boxes of this stuff from Tradex and took it out to the mountains today to do some 200 yard shooting with my ARs, T97s and Savage.

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/sellier-bellot-308-win-180gr-fmj-ammunition

Boy on boy was it fun. Suffice to say, I think my rifle is fine, at the end of the day I was consistently landing hits in the top down zero zone (head) on an IDPA target at 200 yards. I think I should have gone with 24x magnification, but I just might mount the vortex HS I bought on my other .308 that I intend on using to hunt with and get a Vortex PST that tops out at 24 power.

My zero was with the South African surplus M80 , which was 1.5 MOA higher than the S&B.

Strewth
02-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you got a good one harbl, kudos! I like your target notes from TSE:) I need to be more informative than group size in my book.

harbl_the_cat
02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
This was one of the most fun range outings I've had in a while, there was nearly 4 feet of snow between the firing point and the the 200 yard point, and I had to wear snow shoes to make it. I got in right as the sun was rising, and had some weird slenderman vibes on the drive in. I forgot one target stand, so I did more walking than I thought I would.

Right in the morning there was a small snow squall and at 100 yards, the targets were just snowed right out - I couldn't see them - even though they were brown shillouettes against a white berm. The way I placed them, they looked like a two man machine gun team standing above a trench.

I relegated my T97s to iron/red dot duty/assault rifle duty, while my ARs with 1-4x trijicon accupoint and vortex pst will serve as my DMRs - a bit bassackward, with my ARs being 14.5" bbl and the T97s having a 19" bbl. it's quite a neat feeling - being able to reach out and touch something at 200 yards with the model 10, being confident in hitting a 6" circle at 200, and just putting cover fire with the T97s.

I was joking with myself, that it was a soviet red army machine gun team during the winter was and I was taking them on with my 5 rifles... Minus a rundown... And with modern rifles.

Shifting my hold over to do head shots with the model 10 was a lot of fun - humping back and fourth to the 200 yard line 5 times with snow shoes was also fun...

harbl_the_cat
02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
So I bought 20 boxes of this stuff from Tradex and took it out to the mountains today to do some 200 yard shooting with my ARs, T97s and Savage.

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/sellier-bellot-308-win-180gr-fmj-ammunition

Boy on boy was it fun. Suffice to say, I think my rifle is fine, at the end of the day I was consistently landing hits in the top down zero zone (head) on an IDPA target at 200 yards. I think I should have gone with 24x magnification, but I just might mount the vortex HS I bought on my other .308 that I intend on using to hunt with and get a Vortex PST that tops out at 24 power.

My zero was with the South African surplus M80 , which was 1.5 MOA higher than the S&B.

Darn... all that cheap Sellier and Bellot is sold out :(

I should have bought an extra 20 boxes.

awndray
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I have a lot of it...in 223. the AR likes it.

zulu
03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
hey awndray, just wondering what you did with yours or if it got any better with use?

I ended up buying a rem 700 police because of you and a few other people with less the impressive reviews. what took the cake was one guy who said he liked it (MRdonut) an then seeing it on an EE for trade or sale weeks later. I hope it smoothed out.

DOA
03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
I ran into a guy at the range on Sat that had one of these and he couldn't say enough good things about it.

awndray
03-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I haven't taken it out yet. I hope to do so this weekend. I've cleaned it. That's about it.

Petamocto
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Mods, pelase delete.

Edenchef
03-17-2014, 10:00 PM
best to just let this alone -haywire

awndray
03-18-2014, 04:43 AM
So...how'bout that rifle, eh?

Haywire1
03-18-2014, 07:49 AM
ok, there is a post under review. Confine the comments to the topic discussed and enough of the personal attacks. take it to PM's or leave it alone

Back on topic

harbl_the_cat
03-18-2014, 09:49 AM
That reminds me, I picked up a sight leveller from the States last week and levelled all my scopes. I've always just done an eye-ball mount method for my scopes (i.e.: "That looks level enough"). When I used the levelling tool, I was surprised how far off I was (the bubble wasn't even close to being in the centre notch of the level).

I've decided I'm too much of a n00b to do 5 round groups, and at $0.80/round, a sight in becomes really expensive and isn't as feel as good as I'd like it to be (with 5 rounds, I was pulling about 1-1.5" at 50 yards).

So I switched to 3 round groups instead. Interestingly enough, my groups are about half the size of what they would be if I were doing a 5 round group:

http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/8d07a89eaeb311e3aa9712d94378cda3_8.jpg

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/9757bf82aeb311e390490e5bf30b73cc_8.jpg

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/a3e50ee4aeb311e3b8640ed7af5ac376_8.jpg

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/ad028646aeb311e3b5e7127a2afb6126_8.jpg

http://distilleryimage1.ak.instagram.com/f60d2f1aaeb511e3b4800e12fd739921_8.jpg

What's interesting to me is how I'm using a cheap airsoft bipod. I wonder if using a real bipod, sandbag, or lead-sled like rest might improve my groups.

I had a bit of a math fail between groups 3 and 4 - I was still using 25 yard MOA calculation even though I was shooting at 50 yards, so I cranked it 11 clicks left thinking that would shift my POI about 3/4 of an inch left (11 clicks / 4 moa/click / (100 yards / 4)) = 0.6875" What is fascinating is the correct calculation was (11 clicks / 4 moa/click / (100 yards / 2)) = 1.375". So I dailed it in 6 clicks right and had my windage right on (my elevation a little bit high) with group 5.

I had 2 rounds left, and there were quite a few guys shooting all around me, so I just shot the last 2 rounds (5 on the bottom, derp) in quick succession. I pulled one of them.

I just noticed - my 25 yard groups were bigger than my 50 yard groups - which is weird. I wonder if it's because of the target size (I was aiming at the 10 in the centre bullseye at 25 yards).

One question to those who are more experienced at precision rifle - how do you measure your group size? Edge to edge or centre to centre of the furtherest shots (I do edge to edge)?

I hope I can load some precision loads someday soon. I really regret not buying more of these S&B 180gn FMJ factory loads. They're fun to shoot and at $16 for a box of 20 rounds, they're pretty cheap. I'm too chicken to try buying some precision factory loads - but I'm also curious to see if they would tighten my groups up a hair.

Strewth
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Center to center... measure extreme outside to outside, subtract one bullet diameter.
3 round groups aren't really indicative of much though, IMO. You say they're smaller,:p are they 3/5ths the size:)?
Buying expensive factory loads may help, but you will probably have to try several to find the one that your rifle likes best...ah the joys.
See if you can borrow a non-airsoft bipod? This will probably help as well. Bags almost definitely will...although I've heard of rifles shooting worse off sandbags than a bipod, I've never seen it.
At 25 yards your bullets haven't had much of a chance to spin-stabilise, which may account for the larger groups? Although I prefer targets with vertical and horizontal lines to set my crosshairs on, when shooting for groups.

harbl_the_cat
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Center to center... measure extreme outside to outside, subtract one bullet diameter.
3 round groups aren't really indicative of much though, IMO. You say they're smaller,:p are they 3/5ths the size:)?
Buying expensive factory loads may help, but you will probably have to try several to find the one that your rifle likes best...ah the joys.
See if you can borrow a non-airsoft bipod? This will probably help as well. Bags almost definitely will...although I've heard of rifles shooting worse off sandbags than a bipod, I've never seen it.
At 25 yards your bullets haven't had much of a chance to spin-stabilise, which may account for the larger groups? Although I prefer targets with vertical and horizontal lines to set my crosshairs on, when shooting for groups.

Now that I'm comfortable with my zero, I'll do 5 round groups to fine tune - but hence fourth, when I'm playing with a newly mounted scope doing large adjustments (i.e - get it on paper), I'll only do 3 round groups. I didn't take pictures, but I did the same thing with my AR's (level and re-zero with 3 round groups).

I'm trying to reconcile the fact that with 5 round groups, I can shoot the same size/slightly tighter with my AR's than the Savage, but with 3 round groups, I can shoot tighter with the Savage than my AR's.

I wonder if being semi-auto, the muscle memory and consistency of the placement of my strong hand makes that big of a difference. I mean, shooting a bolt action after every shot, you have to re-index and reposition your strong hand - whereas with as semi-auto, your hand (should be) consistently placed on the pistol grip during an entire string.

Shooting Nork .223 through 2 Nork AR's with a Trijicon Accupoint and a Leupold VX-R, I was scoring about 1"-1.25" 3 round groupings at 50 yards (compared to the 0.715" - 0.820" groups with my Savage).

Oddly enough, with my AR's, I usually land about 1.5"-2" groups at 50 yards (off a sandbag) when shooting 5 round groups. When shooting 50 yards with the Savage, I normally make about the same sized groups.

Any recommendations for a good bipod? I have a bunch of cheap bipods I bought for my 10/22's and AR's that worked great. I'm pretty surprised this one holds up as well as it does. My only problem is when I look around at some of the bipods on the retail front, a lot of them are made in China with huge mark ups. Upon closer inspection, I see no difference between them and the ones I picked up on Ebay or DX for 1/4 the price.

The one's that are not (Harris), look quite a bit more expensive, but I can't understand how the added cost is justified. If you read what I post, it should be pretty clear I have quite a negative bias against anything manufactured domestically. I think most of the price ends up being to pay for benefits, taxes, and regulation and not necessarily a superior product (or as superior a product as the cost would justify).

Strewth
03-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Harris.

:p

I've never tried a cheap bipod, so I really can't say honestly that they're junk. Of course, copying Harris' R&D will probably result in a similar product.

harbl_the_cat
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Harris.

:p

I've never tried a cheap bipod, so I really can't say honestly that they're junk. Of course, copying Harris' R&D will probably result in a similar product.

So Harris get's the Strewth stamp of approval?

One other question - what's a good height for a bipod?

Also what kind of placement do you keep your support hand in when you shoot from a bipod (or rest)? I try to cradle the bottom of the stock with my support (left) hand, around where my armpit is. I never used to do that until I started shooting from a rest (with my AR's, I generally cup the mag well when shooting off a rest - I generally shot all my rifles with my support hand forward on the stock).

awndray
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
I have a Harris 6-9" and two Shooter's Ridge Rock Mount, one 6-9" and the other 9-13". All three are the pivoting models. I put the Harris S Lock on all three.

http://www.amazon.ca/Shooters-Ridge-Champion-Bi-Pod-9-Inch/dp/B0002INWLY

I believe the the Shooter's Ridge line is made by Champion. Their bipod are Harris clones. I find they work quite well. I forget how much I paid for them. I have no complaints.

zulu
03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah im also wondering what bipod height i should buy. im tall so i was thinking 9-12?

Petamocto
03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
The one thing I would offer to anyone looking at bipods is that it is worth the extra money to get the model that pivots. I have a short and a long Harris for my BAR, and it is much easier to get the crosshairs on target when you can cant the rifle in small increments.

My MVP combo came with a cheaper non-pivoting Caldwell, and when I shoot that on uneven ground it is a PITA to ensure it's level. I always have to fiddle around with the bipod legs, trying to get one of the two sides to dig in a little more.

awndray
03-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah im also wondering what bipod height i should buy. im tall so i was thinking 9-12?

How tall you are wouldn't make a difference if you're in the prone position on level ground. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference if you're sitting at a bench either. Where you'll notice the difference is if you're shooting from the crest of a ridge, or shooting higher or lower than a dead-straight line of sight.

zulu
03-18-2014, 01:25 PM
I saw those at wholesale, but in pivoting models. good product?

ahh ok I thought the length might matter because of the height of my bent arms while in prone.

CF_Smith
03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm late to post here, read threw the thread. If people are still curious on weight, it's 10lbs as it comes in the box - that is with empty mag and bolt on the gun.

I opted for a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50mm with the nikoplex reticle. This scope was 520.00. Though I am new to the whole realm of scoped guns (I've not used one besides the cheap ass-bastard that came with my 597), this glass is CLEAR. I mean it should be expected coming from a renown camera/lense company. I have yet to try dusk/dawn shooting to compare it to iron sights but I'm guessing that it would surpass.

I am planning on going with an Accu-shot bipod, it's stupid expensive but it seems to be more rugged and versatile. You can get leg extensions, different feet for it, and best of all it rotates, pivots and swivels, max versatility. Seems to be the best fit for something that is going hunting and leaving the bench.

I have yet to shoot 10TR in search of accuracy with good ammo, as the range is FULL of snow and its a nuisances walking back and forward to 100, 200 etc yards.

Anyone here putting a break on there gun? I'm looking at my options for one, currently I'm looking at JP enterprises.

The local gun shop only had high rings of the tactical sort, so I'm on the hunt for medium weaver tactical ones, to see if I can bring the scope down a bit, I'm wondering if the high will be required with a 20MOA base however.

here is a picture of my set up, I'm not a pro -photographer so pardon my shitty ass photos:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/dwarvenwolf/IMG_3064.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwarvenwolf/media/IMG_3064.jpg.html)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/dwarvenwolf/IMG_3066.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwarvenwolf/media/IMG_3066.jpg.html)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/dwarvenwolf/IMG_3062JPG.jpeg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwarvenwolf/media/IMG_3062JPG.jpeg.html)

Petamocto
03-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Great looking combo, but wow that scope seems set far back. If it's comfortable for you, that's all that counts, but it looks like the rings were installed as far back on the rifle as they could be, and then the scope was set back as far in the rings as it could be.

CF_Smith
03-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Great looking combo, but wow that scope seems set far back. If it's comfortable for you, that's all that counts, but it looks like the rings were installed as far back on the rifle as they could be, and then the scope was set back as far in the rings as it could be.

I had the scope installed at the gun shop when I bought the scope, he put the scope on the gun and adjusted it as required for me to get proper eye relief. It does look far back now that you mention it. I'll have to double check and make sure its in the right spot now

CF_Smith
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Took the gun out of the safe, if I pun the stock in my shoulder properly and pull the gun into my shoulder as firm as I can I get the best eye-relief, I also measured it, and the scope is 4" from my face, (which is the eye relief according to nikon. I could;t imagine putting it any further ahead

Petamocto
03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Cool. Have you shot it yet like that from the standing? I find that when I stand up comfortably and get eye relief, it usually ends up too far back when I'm actually shooting and I have to lean my body into it to absorb the kick.

CF_Smith
03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes I have. When I checked the eye relief it was from the exact position I would use standing.

Strewth
03-21-2014, 04:39 PM
I lean my body, but not my head? Looks about right to me?
Actually, I don't lean my body too terribly far in on a bolt gun either? More of a semi-auto follow-up-shot thing for me?
Hmmm. Time for more mirror commando.

harbl_the_cat
03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Nice scope, Smith.

I found this rifle is too much of a behemoth to try shooting it standing. That weight seems to soak up a lot of the recoil though - it doesn't feel as bad as my other, smaller .308.

CF_Smith
03-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Nice scope, Smith.

I found this rifle is too much of a behemoth to try shooting it standing. That weight seems to soak up a lot of the recoil though - it doesn't feel as bad as my other, smaller .308.

Thank you! and yes to anyone thinking that this is a gun you shoot from standing all day, you're mistaken. I don't have a bipod on yet but man on man, this thing is huge. By the fourth shot, I find myself shaking.

Petamocto
03-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Is there a consolidated list somewhere of companies that offer LE / Military discounts?

CF_Smith
03-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Is there a consolidated list somewhere of companies that offer LE / Military discounts?

Not as far as I know

Petamocto
03-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Harbl, can you put your Jimmy skills to good use here and come up with an algorithm that worms its way through the interwebz and produces a list of Mil / LE discount websites?

harbl_the_cat
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Frontier and sfrc had for these rifles.

Marstar has an active one too.

Questar has periodic mil/le discounts.

PCV here on GOC.

awndray
07-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I finally found some time to disassemble it (including the scope base), clean the factory oil, re-assemble it, and mount the scope. I'll being it to the range tomorrow to first its first shots after my IDPA match. It feels like forever since I've even set foot on the range. The last couple of months have been pretty busy for me at work.

http://i59.tinypic.com/10xgi84.jpg

Petamocto
07-06-2014, 09:08 AM

I answered my own question here. For anyone interested, it is put on by CanEx and the new CF One card: http://www.cfappreciation.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx

CF_Smith
07-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I answered my own question here. For anyone interested, it is put on by CanEx and the new CF One card: http://www.cfappreciation.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx

Thank you!

Sabio
07-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Or if you missed it earlier. You can get these from IRUNGUNS.
They had a 16 inch version for a bit. Sold out now.
18 and 20 inch still available.

adrielm
07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
They're all out of stock on the Model 10 P-SR now. Too bad, those were screaming good prices.

harbl_the_cat
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
I just installed an ATRS AR10 break on my Savage Model 10TR.

I also shot my buddies loads - mixed headstamp, 168 gn Siera Matchking JBTHP.

I shot 3, 3 shot groups at 50 yards off some cheap Chinese bipod.

The first group was blah, the second one got me a bit excited, the third made me quite happy (even though I actually felt nervous shooting it).

I've never shot it that well and am eager to push it out to 100 - 200 this week.

https://igcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11376504_1456974594623100_1068857852_n.jpg

mrg372k9
07-06-2015, 08:15 PM
I just installed an ATRS AR10 break on my Savage Model 10TR.

I also shot my buddies loads - mixed headstamp, 168 gn Siera Matchking JBTHP.

I shot 3, 3 shot groups at 50 yards off some cheap Chinese bipod.

The first group was blah, the second one got me a bit excited, the third made me quite happy (even though I actually felt nervous shooting it).

I've never shot it that well and am eager to push it out to 100 - 200 this week.

https://igcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11376504_1456974594623100_1068857852_n.jpg
I installed the same one a few weeks ago, quite pleased with the results. I've found that the norinco stuff leaves a nice blue residue in the brake, also it's good enough to hit the 4" gongs at 200y consistantly.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

harbl_the_cat
07-09-2015, 09:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYiqs5atr9w

Sabio
07-29-2015, 02:23 AM

Yup.

SFRC. 10% off sale. $669.95 - 10% = $ 602.95

That is a great deal.

762shooter
07-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Yup.

SFRC. 10% off sale. $669.95 - 10% = $ 602.95

That is a great deal.

But taxed and shipped it will still cost about $125 more than I paid during the LEO/military deal.

Sabio
07-29-2015, 12:58 PM
$705 to my door... ;)