PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 Gov't and Short Barreled Lever's

50calshooter
04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
To the best of my knowledge Marlin is the only company producing such a rifle and of decent quality as well.

So, I don't know much about this round, where it came from, it's intended purpose or anything... I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I want to know what kind of a hunter one of these rigs could be? 18.5" barrel in 45/70? Clearly a heavy enough round for big game, but what about velocities and max effective ranges?

Currently these two are on the table...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GBL.asp

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895G.asp

Thoughts? The idea here is to have a lightweight, compact, powerful hunting rig. Also is there any other manufacturers I should be looking at?

jwirecom109
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I know that Henry makes a 45/70. http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm
All i know is that its not cheap, it makes a hell of a bang, and is a good caliber

arancio
04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
To the best of my knowledge Marlin is the only company producing such a rifle and of decent quality as well.

So, I don't know much about this round, where it came from, it's intended purpose or anything... I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I want to know what kind of a hunter one of these rigs could be? 18.5" barrel in 45/70? Clearly a heavy enough round for big game, but what about velocities and max effective ranges?

Currently these two are on the table...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GBL.asp

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895G.asp

Thoughts? The idea here is to have a lightweight, compact, powerful hunting rig. Also is there any other manufacturers I should be looking at?

45-70 Government History and General Information:
The 45-70 dates back to as early as 1865 but it wasn't standardized until 1873, a U.S. Government contract was issued for several thousand Springfield rifles chambered for the 45-70, it was then called the 45-70 Government cartridge.

The 45-70 Government cartridge was so named as it was originally designed to be loaded with black powder and for cartridges of the era that designation is 45 caliber bullet and 70 grains black powder.

The .45-70 rifle cartridge, also known as .45-70 Government, was developed at the U.S. Army's Springfield Armory for use in the Springfield Model 1873.
The cartridge is completely identified as the .45-70-405, but was also commonly called the ".45 Government" cartridge in commercial catalogs.
The nomenclature of the time was based on several properties of the cartridge: .45 caliber bullet diameter, 70 grains of black powder and 405 grains bullet weight.

After the .45-70 Sandy Hook tests of 1879, a new variation of the .45-70 cartridge was produced, the .45-70-500, which fired a heavier 500 grain bullet. The heavier 500 grain bullet produced significantly superior ballistics.

The 45-70 Government has been chambered in several different action types but the lever action is by far the most popular, Winchester's own model 1886 45-70 was discontinued in 1935 and had been brought back into production by popular demand years later.

The 45-70 Government cartridge is beyond 130 years since its introduction and sales for this cartridge are now ever growing. Simply put the 45-70 Government is a wonderful big bore cartridge, chambered in a newer lever action or single shot rifle like the Sharps Model 1874, where loads can be worked up to higher pressure levels it is powerful enough for all of north America's big game animals.

The 45-70 Government is a heavy hitter able to handle bullet weights up to 500 grains at speeds up to depending on the rifle used 1,800 feet per second (Ruger #1 Single Shot) is the heaviest built action for this cartridge. The recoil is quite substantial from the 45-70 cartridge.

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM

I prefer a heavier iron in 45-70 to soak up some recoil.

Rory McCanuck
04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Rossi also makes the Rio Grande in 45-70.
It is on pg 16, but look through the rest of the offerings.
Some really interesting guns there.
http://www.rossiusa.com/2011catalog/?catalog_page=16
It look like a direct copy of the Marlin, but I haven't
fondled one to be able to say.

As for any of the big bore levers (.444 Mar, 450 Mar, 45-70)
they push out a big bullet that hits very, very hard.
Animals hit with them tend to not get back up, and at the
range, you don't need a spotting scope to see the holes
in the paper. 44 and 45 caliber holes are BIG.

Don't believe the hype that they can't shoot past 100 yds.
My 444 is 3" high @100, on @200. Yes, after that the bullet
drops pretty quickly, but how often do most of us shoot
past that.

saskgunowner
04-24-2012, 03:40 PM
As long as a guy knows his bullet drop, I'm sure the 45-70 would be an easy 200 meter deer cartridge. I play around a lot with cast bullets and I'd use a 405 cast at 1,200 fps for out to 100-125 meters on deer without thinking about it. I enjoy a pleasant shooting load that you can hand to a 10 year old and not have it beat the snot out of them. If I were going for large game/dangerous game, I'd just ramp up the velocity until the point of obnoxious recoil and call it a day.

Like I said, long as a guy knows his bullet drop, that's all that matters. I try not to ascribe to "voodoo" too much, but I have a feeling the 45-70 would work well on big game. I went for a walk about one day with the neighbor looking for rabbits. I got one with the 45-70 (yeah, what's wrong with my head!), and I kid you not, it hammered it so good, the outer body was fine, but the entrails were lying in a pile beside it on the far side. I picked up the rabbit, and shook a handful of guts out. It was for all purposes, field dressed.

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
lol-perfect bunny caliber from the sounds of it!

Rory McCanuck
04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Last summer I got two gophers with the 444.
I had a problem with over-penetration, but a gopher
is certainly no bunny.

Maybe I should step up to the 45-70?

50calshooter
04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys,

I stopped at the local gun shop on the way home and as luck would have it, they had one in stock. Got the 1895B model she looks pretty nice, got a good deal on her at $625...

loki
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Good for you 50cal, welcome to lever action shooting :)

Flat nosed bullets are great for bush guns as they tend not to deflect as easily as a spitzer type might. I'm going to assume you're aware of only using flat nosed bullets in tubular magazines of course, with the Leverevolution from hornady being the only exception.

Inside of 200 yards there isn't an animal native to this continent that will be standing after you put a 45-70 into it's bread basket. A bonus of the 45-70 is that if you happen to miss you can guage direct by the fact that it might fall a tree nearby :cool:. All kidding aside I've heard guys scoping for 400 yards and taking deer, which although outside of my comfort range if you're a capable shot with the cartridge and comfortable then it's apparently possible.

Now that you're into levers you might get bit by the pistol caliber bug and start matching carbines with your pistol calibers. I could see you getting the magnum research BFR 45-70 single action pretty soon. .357 inside of 100 yards out of a 18 inch barrel is equivalent to a 30-30 and more than enough for up to deer sized game. Time to match a good lever to that S&W R8 you have *big evil grin inserted here*.

loki
04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
One more thing 50cal, if you're going to be reloading for it try to resist the temptation for hollow point rounds if intended to hunt medium to large game with. SJFP or lead FP would be the way I would go to ensure deep penetration before full expansion. Hollow point would do one of two things, expand prior to it getting too deep, or at these velocities it might just shatter on impact and not get very much penetration at all.

Awaiting range reports, and oh yeah....

:pics:

50calshooter
04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Loki again thanks for the tip, I learn something new from you everyday, lol I have a feeling our taste in small arms are starting to cross paths...

Now, you say inside of 200 should be good to go... I must reiterate, even with an 18.5 inch barrel?

I plan on setting this unit up with an XS Sight Systems lever rail system http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

Additionally, Im going to run a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 Optic with TPS Medium Rings...

So that being said, whaddya think? Good for a reliable 150-200 big game gun?

Redhouse
04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Reliable is questionable. I wish I had seen this thread earlier :(

Remington bough Marlin and (as I understand it) canned everyone, moved the tooling to their factory, and has been producing crap with very high failure and return rates, along with very poor QC the last few years. The gun you have is commonly called a 'RemLin'. There are some OK ones, but most experience users recommend buying used at least a few years old, pre Rem takeover.

All that said, I watched the caretaker out at Genessee range bang the big (24"? 30"?) gong at 700m (seven. hundred. metres) repeatedly with his old 45.70 rolling block. Sure, it was a rainbow (and not an 18.5" levergun)...the point is, it's got a great reputation for accuracy. 200m, once you know the trajectory, is not going to be an issue - though I don't know and so can't comment on cartridge performance on game at long range. They killed buffalo by the millions with them, wouldn't think 200m would be out of range with the right bullet.

And I have thought frequently myself of going down the road you are now on. Perhaps a little more 'tactical' (no scope) but not as tactical as Mossy's 30-30. /shudder

loki
04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
I have a feeling our taste in small arms are starting to cross paths...

Now, you say inside of 200 should be good to go... I must reiterate, even with an 18.5 inch barrel?

I plan on setting this unit up with an XS Sight Systems lever rail system http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

Additionally, Im going to run a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 Optic with TPS Medium Rings...

So that being said, whaddya think? Good for a reliable 150-200 big game gun?

Oh our tastes have crossed paths for a while, I'm into everything that spits fire and throws lead, especially if it's black. I just lay low on other sites and don't really post a lot of pics of my modern pistols and restricted carbines. In fact outside of selling off parts, on this site is probably the most pics I've posted of parts of my collection ever. My LTATT only extends to BC and Yukon otherwise when we met up I would have asked to go shooting. In fact I was kind of hinting it if we could have found some .30 mauser ammo local to you as I did have this with me among with some non-restricteds;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Loki_81/firearms/_MG_2293.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Loki_81/firearms/_MG_2295.jpg

I know it's not exactly your taste but I like it's the worlds first PDW, is antique class so doesn't need LTATT or WATC, and can be shot and carried anywhere a non-restricted can be fired. I really only had what I was carrying around the farm for ammo as the in-laws area was Cougar territory so I wasn't going to dump it for plinking.

Back on topic though optics and rail look good to go. Should be able to reach out and touch game to 200 yards once you've doped that optic. Also yes even with a 18.5" barrel you should be good to go, just to make sure if you get inot loading just load it to the point of it being unbearable for recoil and it should make up for any lack in barrel length. Unbearable recoil for you should almost be at a max load as you already shoot big bore and are a decent sized guy.

Remington bough Marlin and (as I understand it) canned everyone, moved the tooling to their factory, and has been producing crap with very high failure and return rates, along with very poor QC the last few years. The gun you have is commonly called a 'RemLin'. There are some OK ones, but most experience users recommend buying used at least a few years old, pre Rem takeover.

How so Redhouse? May I get you to elaborate a bit on that? I don't mean to be insultive or sound standoffish when I ask but have you personally experienced any issues with a Marlin you've owned?

Although I fully agree with buying all brands of lever actions used from older smokeless series (if they're well cared for of course) as they tend to have better worksmanship. There are new series levers that are more reliable out of the box but you'll pay the premium for those (ie Winchester). For the better priced levers I can't think of one that doesn't require something done to it to bring it in line, Rossi needs the "Rossi tune up", Henry's can use the action to be slicked, and so on.

For this Marlin if 50cal is happy with it I would suggest just playing with the action and cycling it dry, it'll slick it up and show if there's any faulty parts. From there get it on the range and put it through its break in period and dump a few hundred rounds through it. If issues arise they can most likely be taken care of when they show up, unless these things are known for blowing up in your hands, that might be hard to fix :p. If the thought of having a RemLin bothers you, then you can always trade in your Marlin on a Winchester 1886 short rifle.

One Doomed Space Marine
04-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Cartridges of the world states that the 45-70 Gov't can be used to hunt any of the largest game in North America.
It is effective only up to 150 meters at which point you need to start adjusting sights or kenucky windage as the projectile is very heavy even on the light end of the spectrum firing at arelatively low velocity and not exactly the most aerodynamic of shapes. It's a beast of a round.
One of the civies I work with uses it to hunt moose in the area.
He says it's a great hunting cartridge for larger game. He also echoed the fast drop in trajectory. He told me a story (tall tale? :D) about taking 2-3 long shots at a moose with it from a stand about 200 meters away. All the shots dropped low until he aimed over the top of the thing and dropped it one shot.
It sounds like a heck of a brush gun caliber.

Redhouse
04-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Loki, no I have not owned a Marlin and should have said as much. This is gleaned from CGN, where of course many many HAVE owned the RemLins, and had bad experiences. None blowing up that I recall, but lots of function problems and even more fit n finish problems. It is said there are still good ones, but that the odds are against getting one. Some guys talk about buying and returning multiple units, some end up with a good one, some never do.

50calshooter
04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

All that said, I watched the caretaker out at Genessee range bang the big (24"? 30"?) gong at 700m (seven. hundred. metres) repeatedly with his old 45.70 rolling block. Sure, it was a rainbow (and not an 18.5" levergun)...the point is, it's got a great reputation for accuracy. 200m, once you know the trajectory, is not going to be an issue - though I don't know and so can't comment on cartridge performance on game at long range. They killed buffalo by the millions with them, wouldn't think 200m would be out of range with the right bullet.

And I have thought frequently myself of going down the road you are now on. Perhaps a little more 'tactical' (no scope) but not as tactical as Mossy's 30-30. /shudder

Yes, RH I have heard about this before. It is my understanding that Marlin production was shut down for about a year and only until recently have they been making them again. That is exactly why I refused to mail order one. I had to see one up close before hand. Years ago I owned 336 XLR 30/30 (which I regret selling to this day) I kinda had an idea of what to look for. I went over this unit with a fine tooth comb at the store and was satisfied enough to buy it, then took it home and gave it the 50calshooter treatment. lol I've been over this gun inside and out and so far based on what I'm seeing and the minor adjustments I had to make, it would appear this ones a keeper. Now being a lever if something breaks it's easily fixable, so I'm not too worried. My view point is if I can build AR's surely I can handle a lever gun... lol

I hear ya on the injection of blackness this gun needs. Stateside there seems to be a new trend of tactical lever guns appearing. I don't plan on doing too much until I know shes a keeper 100% then I may send her over to Barret and have him Arma-coat it matte black, the wood for now I like, but I have seen guys use black wood and it looks really nice. The key with these guns is tasteful, I don't want to over do it either, for now the rail system and optic will do...

Oh our tastes have crossed paths for a while, I'm into everything that spits fire and throws lead, especially if it's black. I just lay low on other sites and don't really post a lot of pics of my modern pistols and restricted carbines. In fact outside of selling off parts, on this site is probably the most pics I've posted of parts of my collection ever. My LTATT only extends to BC and Yukon otherwise when we met up I would have asked to go shooting. In fact I was kind of hinting it if we could have found some .30 mauser ammo local to you as I did have this with me among with some non-restricteds;

I know it's not exactly your taste but I like it's the worlds first PDW, is antique class so doesn't need LTATT or WATC, and can be shot and carried anywhere a non-restricted can be fired. I really only had what I was carrying around the farm for ammo as the in-laws area was Cougar territory so I wasn't going to dump it for plinking.

Back on topic though optics and rail look good to go. Should be able to reach out and touch game to 200 yards once you've doped that optic. Also yes even with a 18.5" barrel you should be good to go, just to make sure if you get inot loading just load it to the point of it being unbearable for recoil and it should make up for any lack in barrel length. Unbearable recoil for you should almost be at a max load as you already shoot big bore and are a decent sized guy.

How so Redhouse? May I get you to elaborate a bit on that? I don't mean to be insultive or sound standoffish when I ask but have you personally experienced any issues with a Marlin you've owned?

Although I fully agree with buying all brands of lever actions used from older smokeless series (if they're well cared for of course) as they tend to have better worksmanship. There are new series levers that are more reliable out of the box but you'll pay the premium for those (ie Winchester). For the better priced levers I can't think of one that doesn't require something done to it to bring it in line, Rossi needs the "Rossi tune up", Henry's can use the action to be slicked, and so on.

For this Marlin if 50cal is happy with it I would suggest just playing with the action and cycling it dry, it'll slick it up and show if there's any faulty parts. From there get it on the range and put it through its break in period and dump a few hundred rounds through it. If issues arise they can most likely be taken care of when they show up, unless these things are known for blowing up in your hands, that might be hard to fix :p. If the thought of having a RemLin bothers you, then you can always trade in your Marlin on a Winchester 1886 short rifle.

That is one sweet PDW lol...

The gun does cycle smooth and like I mentioned so far so good. I think to be practical 150 should be the sweet spot, but you never know I guess. I will definitely have to do some load development with this gun. Should be fun!

Cartridges of the world states that the 45-70 Gov't can be used to hunt any of the largest game in North America.
It is effective only up to 150 meters at which point you need to start adjusting sights or kenucky windage as the projectile is very heavy even on the light end of the spectrum firing at arelatively low velocity and not exactly the most aerodynamic of shapes. It's a beast of a round.
One of the civies I work with uses it to hunt moose in the area.
He says it's a great hunting cartridge for larger game. He also echoed the fast drop in trajectory. He told me a story (tall tale? :D) about taking 2-3 long shots at a moose with it from a stand about 200 meters away. All the shots dropped low until he aimed over the top of the thing and dropped it one shot.
It sounds like a heck of a brush gun caliber.

And thats what I've been reading, Rossi markets there shorty big bore levers as the "only big game gun"
I agree should make for one hell of a bush gun!

Redhouse
04-25-2012, 09:45 AM
That's good, that you had an idea what you were looking for. Better than going in blind and *then* getting the bad news, which I've done more than once.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

EvilDezel
04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
50 watch the eye relief on your scope, it has to be long. Like pistol scope long.

I run the XS sights and didn't bother with the scope rail. As here in Ontario even moose hunting 200 yards is a far shot. (especially in our moose bush).

Also 45/70 is a way more fun cartridge when you load for it. You can make it mild as a mouse, or you can knock your shoulder into next week if you want.

50calshooter
04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
50 watch the eye relief on your scope, it has to be long. Like pistol scope long.

I run the XS sights and didn't bother with the scope rail. As here in Ontario even moose hunting 200 yards is a far shot. (especially in our moose bush).

Also 45/70 is a way more fun cartridge when you load for it. You can make it mild as a mouse, or you can knock your shoulder into next week if you want.

Hahaha it's funny you said that, lol

At lunch today I went to buy my scope that I had previously picked out, the diamondback 3-9... Picked it up was on the way to the till and suddenly remembered I need lever EYE RELIEF for this big bore unit. The relief on the DB was good but not good enough. Well as luck would have it right beside the till, a fresh shipment not even put away yet, a Viper! 3-9x40 with a 1" tube, perfect! ...and with tons of eye relief. Hell on 3 power its like using an Aimpoint, great field of view! The bonus, only $125 more then the DB and way better quality...

'twas a good day!

EvilDezel
04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Good deal.

You should get ahold of M.T Chambers and order up some boolits.

M.T. Chambers
04-25-2012, 09:54 PM
My experience with heavy loads and scopes on these 45/70s has not been positive, so after trying scopes, mine wear Skinner peeps on the rear and Firesight fronts. Initially a friend of mine damaged a Leupold using 480 gr. wfn bullets, my Weaver suffered the same fate, it got fixed but now sits on my .356 Levergun.

loki
04-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh yeah and since this thread is called "and short barreled levers" I'll get in on the party.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Loki_81/firearms/_MG_2301.jpg

.44 mag Ranch hand 12" barrel. It required some work out of the box to get it where I wanted it, was initially bought for close in hunting as it's probably the only experience I'd get close to "handgun hunting".

a Viper! 3-9x40 with a 1" tube, perfect! ...and with tons of eye relief. Hell on 3 power its like using an Aimpoint, great field of view! The bonus, only $125 more then the DB and way better quality...

'twas a good day!

Good find 50cal.

50calshooter
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah and since this thread is called "and short barreled levers" I'll get in on the party.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Loki_81/firearms/_MG_2301.jpg

.44 mag Ranch hand 12" barrel. It required some work out of the box to get it where I wanted it, was initially bought for close in hunting as it's probably the only experience I'd get close to "handgun hunting".

Good find 50cal.

Yeah, I also feel more confident in the Viper to handle the recoil.

That's a nice shorty, Rossi? 12" Barrel eh? ... Looks very cool...

I had my hands on a Winchester shorty 16" in 44 mag yesterday... really nice but hard to justify the cost.

EvilDezel
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I also feel more confident in the Viper to handle the recoil.

I had my hands on a Winchester shorty 16" in 44 mag yesterday... really nice but hard to justify the cost.

Not until you shoot them. They are really nice, but they aren't 45/70. I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 and its my go to bush gun for deer and bear even.

Redhouse
04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Handled a RemLin 20" .44 Mag 1894 today, was tempted. Nice thing about 1894 is side eject, vs 1892 like I used to have was top eject = easier to set up optics on 1894. The Marlin is allready drilled and tapped. MilArm has 2, around $550. Cycling was a little rough, I'm guessing sitting thru a hockey game cycling it would smooth it out. Still thinkin.

EvilDezel
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
My GBL's action was like that, didn't take much to smooth it out.

My 1894 is a good old pre rem Marlin.

BuckingFastard
04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Still waiting on pics 50!

50calshooter
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Handled a RemLin 20" .44 Mag 1894 today, was tempted. Nice thing about 1894 is side eject, vs 1892 like I used to have was top eject = easier to set up optics on 1894. The Marlin is allready drilled and tapped. MilArm has 2, around $550. Cycling was a little rough, I'm guessing sitting thru a hockey game cycling it would smooth it out. Still thinkin.

I did just that tonight as I watched my Rangers advance to the next round...I sacrificed a round, popped the primer and dumped the powder and used a dummy round to cycle. I noticed that if you slowly work the action the round would jam up, but if you cycled it at full speed and at a good pace she ran smooth... After an hour or so, she started to become really smooth.

I gotta say, the more I go over this gun the more I'm liking it, she's a pretty nice looking unit.

Still waiting on pics 50!

I was going to wait till I got my rail and mounted the scope, but maby I'll throw a couple up this weekend of her naked, lol....

BuckingFastard
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
To bad they didn't make the old 1899 in a 45-70, one can dream

BruceW
05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Personally, I'm just not big on marlin's. Like the action, shoulders OK, but not as good as others(personal thing), don't think much of the rear site. I went with a BLR in 450 Marlin. I use primarily 350gr. hornady's and 400 gr Hawks on top of lot's of IMR 3031.

Had the blr been available in 45/70 I may have gone that route just for the nostalgia, but as long as I can hurl a 400gr hawk at a moose from under 100yds in the 2000fps range I'm happy.

(I can also hit a 350yd gong consistantly, but it invovles juuust the right amount of, "Kentucky windage", and I know just where to aim on the gong :D )

Now if there was such a thing as a model 94 in 45/70 I could afford, well, we'd have to see about that.

Edward Teach
05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
You all may now gape in awe...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/Edward-Teach/GGScope01.jpg

50calshooter
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Nice setup

normmus
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Love the 45-70. Mucho fun to shoot, and as was mentioned, you can see the holes in your target from 300 yards (ok maybe not 300). I found that the bullet drop gets some getting used to, you really need to know the distance of the target.

Rory McCanuck
05-02-2012, 08:32 PM
That looks pretty nice.

M.T. Chambers
05-02-2012, 09:09 PM
What's that black thing growing out of the top of the barrel?

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I've hunting frequently with a fellow who sports a .450 marlin (basically a hot .45-70). That round has proven time and again to put deer down in their tracks at closer ranges (ie. under 200 yards). It drops like a stone past that, but the real world performance of the round is legit. I watched this guy shoot through 10-15' of dense bush and knock a buck out right at point of aim. My .300 WSM would deflect like a SOB through a mere 1' of bush. Every round has its place. For woods hunters, it is a sure bet IMHO.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Do you have any feeding issues with that rig? That's the only drawback I know of, polymer tipped bullets with FTF, regular lead SPs, no problem.

Edward Teach
05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Nope, she's real slick.
Mind you I've never tried any of them new-fangled mushy tipped things. Just cast boolits, and for hunting I loaded some 350 grain JHPs.

jaydog
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a Baikal SxS 45-70 that is days away from having a Vortex viper HS 1-4x on it. Definitely something you will want to reload- both for the variety and the cost factors!

50calshooter
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey Edward, what's the optic size? And are your mounts low or medium?

Redhouse
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I do not want Edward's gun. I do not want Edward's gun. I do not want Edward's gun.

Didn't work. Just about exactly how I would do things.

loki
05-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Hey Edward what's the rings on that? They don't look it but are they see through for irons?

H2O MAN
05-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun with a few enhancements and upgrades.
+2 mag tube extension, scout rail and Leupold Scout scope.
DRC ghost ring sights and stainless large lever.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/EGG-Scout.jpg

zulu
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
"remlins are crap" "cant trust a remlin" " only pre2006" "it will only work if it has RH stamped on the barrel"
have you owned a new marlin "no"
this is one of the reasons i left CGN, not the remlin debate alone but there was too meny people looking to spout out something they heard before they had any personal experience.
Its one thing to say "my friend owned one and it didn't work" and another to say "a guy from the intermetz who I have never met and could be lying said they don't work"

I OWN a remlin and i almost didnt buy it because of CGN but it works flawlessly. it extracts at any angle. i was told it wouldnt extract unless facing the ground.
the only complaint i have (well 2) is that the trigger is crappy and ill upgrade it, and it advertises that it can hold 7 rd and mine holds six. people have said if u cut back the spring it holds 7. to me thats not worth it.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/derk22/IMG_20120330_142214.jpg

there it is, amd it has never had a stoppage 200rds

Rory McCanuck
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Thank you, zulu.
All we usually get to hear are the gripes of unhappy people,
very seldom do happy folks get on the internet to let others
share in the joy. Griping is much more fashionable.
The internet is great, but one has to take everything with
a grain of salt.

I wonder what the ratio of satisfied/horrified customers is with
the Marlin levers....Likely a lot of happy stories don't get heard.

Edward Teach
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Hey Edward what's the rings on that? They don't look it but are they see through for irons?

They're QD rings and not see through. I forget where I got them, but I do believe they're medium height.

mlehto
05-06-2012, 10:05 AM

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/Edward-Teach/GGScope01.jpg

Very nice!

My former 30/30 was one of my favourites, but scoped I found it was a pretty heavy beast.

With all you have bolted and tied to that gun I imagine it is not light.

Edward Teach
05-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Not really. Besides, a little extra weight on a hard kicker like a Guide Gun is not necessarily a bad thing.

50calshooter
05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Hopefully I'll have my XS rail and rings this week and I can mount my Viper on her...

M.T. Chambers
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I think that you are gonna want to change your name to: 45/70Shooter.

loki
05-08-2012, 01:37 AM

Don't forget that 130+ year old Winchesters exist, you're paying for that quality. If you want a lever that's proven to stand the test of time it's a Winchester.

Redhouse
05-08-2012, 08:25 AM

I'm still yearning to replace my old Rossi/Puma 16" .44. I am reading that a bunch of guys are buying the shortys, and ordering a full sized stock replacement from Boyd's. Hmmmmmmm. 12" or 16"?

loki
05-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm still yearning to replace my old Rossi/Puma 16" .44. I am reading that a bunch of guys are buying the shortys, and ordering a full sized stock replacement from Boyd's. Hmmmmmmm. 12" or 16"?

If you want something out of the box that doesn't require a bunch of work go 16". Love my ranch hand but out of the box it had minute of barn accuracy at 50 yards and required work. Hopefully this will change when the hype dies off a bit and the QC at Rossi can catch up to the demand.

Unless you plan on putting on some kind of optic and a full size stock, perhaps a small(er) lever and then hell yeah go 12".

50calshooter
05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't forget that 130+ year old Winchesters exist, you're paying for that quality. If you want a lever that's proven to stand the test of time it's a Winchester.

The other problem was that none of the ones I handled had side eject so scoping them is a no go. I don't mind paying for quality but the top eject scared me away...

EvilDezel
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
The other problem was that none of the ones I handled had side eject so scoping them is a no go. I don't mind paying for quality but the top eject scared me away...

Don't be afraid.

Turkeyslayer 1300
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
"remlins are crap" "cant trust a remlin" " only pre2006" "it will only work if it has RH stamped on the barrel"
have you owned a new marlin "no"
this is one of the reasons i left CGN, not the remlin debate alone but there was too meny people looking to spout out something they heard before they had any personal experience.
Its one thing to say "my friend owned one and it didn't work" and another to say "a guy from the intermetz who I have never met and could be lying said they don't work"

I OWN a remlin and i almost didnt buy it because of CGN but it works flawlessly. it extracts at any angle. i was told it wouldnt extract unless facing the ground.
the only complaint i have (well 2) is that the trigger is crappy and ill upgrade it, and it advertises that it can hold 7 rd and mine holds six. people have said if u cut back the spring it holds 7. to me thats not worth it.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/derk22/IMG_20120330_142214.jpg

there it is, amd it has never had a stoppage 200rds

Now I am going to have to try one, the Laminate stocked .30-30's.

abolt
05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Hopefully I'll have my XS rail and rings this week and I can mount my Viper on her...

Where are you getting the XS rail and ghostring from?. I want to put them on my GS. I would like to get a set of laminate stocks(straight) for it too.

Marcel
06-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I lean towards the 1895 Cowboy, also a .45-70 but with a 26" tapered octagon barrel! Mmmmmm, SEXY!!!