PDA

View Full Version : January Issue Teaser

Calibre
01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526727_648929121834163_797992307_n.jpg

Here's a teaser for our next issue, which is due to be picked up from the printers on Friday. So expect those copies to start heading your way beginning then and into the next week. Normally we get them earlier in the month, but a paper shortage caused an unforeseen delay (if you can believe a paper shortage is possible out here in beautiful BC).

Our first issue of the year is a "something for everyone" issue with plenty of hands-on reviews, a great how-to, and some pretty interesting historical stuff as well. As always, we appreciate you all taking the time to read the magazine and hope you enjoy it.

Here at the office, we're just settling back into the rhythm of daily life and that means ad sales for Dan (so feel free to name-drop Calibre ad nauseum to your preferred retailers/distributors/range operators/industry people for he'd be eminently grateful for the help). However, as some of you may have noticed, relatively new guy Richard's proven himself far more capable at staying on top of the distribution information than we've ever been, so if you want to ensure you get each issue of Calibre's second volume hit up our website at http://www.calibremag.ca and subscribe; he'll make sure you get your copies.

Cheers!

Mad Hatter
01-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Having just recently purchased a Buck Mark .22LR, I'm really looking forward to reading your review!

Mad Hatter
02-02-2014, 01:33 AM
I didn't see a Letters to the Editor page so here we go! I just read your really thorough review of the Browning Buck Mark .22LR. Twice-ish. Mine is the Practical URX version.

So first comment; One inch spread at only 25 yards with a .22 handgun. Ohh Kaay. Guess I need lots more practice. I'm happy to unload all ten rounds into a 8X12 area at that distance!

With regards to the fit and finish comments regarding the slide, unless something is intended to be a sculpture honed to perfection to be put on display, I fully expect imperfections when dealing with tools intended for hard use. To me ruggedness and the ability to withstand hard use are more important. In my opinion, the fit and finish of this pistol is amazing. You want to talk about rough machining, you should see the inside of my CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. Touted as one of the best SA pistols on the market, it is the practicality of that gun which attracted me to it. It is, after all, a machine. Is there any way to find out exactly what the stainless steel of the barrel is? Whether it's an insert in mild steel or solid 400 series?

With regards to withstanding use, let alone hard use, out of the box and first time at the range, the front sight rail screw came loose and backed out quite a bit. Couldn't figure out why my shots were getting further afield as the session went on. So after cleaning the screws were tightened right back down. Second time at the range both screws came loose to the point that the gun FTEverything. The screws have since been re-set using blue Lock Tite. I haven't shot it since so will be interested in seeming what happens third time out. Other than that I was extremely happy with the performance and accuracy of the gun. While on the topic of the site rail, I find that despite it, I am still able to put the gun into battery using the traditional hand over method. However, I prefer to pull it back from the back on all of my SA pistols.

One thing I noticed during firing is that there is a tendency of the blow back to travel downward through the frame at the trigger and "warm" the trigger finger. Not painfully but definitely noticeably. Someone with sensitive fingers might interpret this as burning. This was surprising considering that the configuration of the slide and ejection port leaves the receiver wide open on three sides to expel the gasses during recoil of the slide. On a related note, if you are a shooter who chooses to stabilize this gun by laying the weak thumb along the frame, you will end up with a black thumb from the blowback.

With regards to the mag release, I am unable to safely actuate it with my right hand on any SA pistol, and so as the slide locks back on the empty mag, I simply move my left hand back, use my left thumb to release the mag, continuing to move down and pull it out and then replace with the full one, repositioning my hand in firing position to use the slide lock to return the gun to battery.

Your comments on plastic components. I hate plastic components on a gun. Save for the grips. My site mount is fortunately metal. However, the first time I broke the gun down I was highly disappointed to find that the firing pin/recoil spring & rod assembly housing is a plastic block. Not impressed at all. When there is a tendency to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time through a .22, it'll be interesting to see how long this part lasts. It has to stand up to the pressure of the recoil and firing pin springs plus take the full brunt of the recoil and return to battery shocks that, well, it remains to be seen.

Otherwise, I love this gun for practice and fun, and use it to warm up and cool down at the range when my main goal is to master my CZ 9mm. I love the feel and balance of it in my hands. I am really very happy that I picked it over my other choices, the S&W M&P22 or Sig Mosquito. I only wish I could find somewhere to shoot tin cans and beer bottles with it. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and thought it was extremely well done. Your magazine is well written and laid out and I look forward to future issues. Thank you for being there for Canadian gun enthusiasts.

My two cents. Thanks for listening.