PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: CANADIAN 715T 25-ROUND MAGAZINE

VancouverSkiBum
01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
****UPDATE POST 35**** ALSO INCLUDES MODEL 702 MAGS

Not sure if its been posted here yet, I flipped through Legalities a bit. I dont own one, but what a freakin bummer... and quite silly.

****ATTENTION: CANADIAN 715T 25-ROUND MAGAZINE NOTICE***

O.F. Mossberg introduced the new 715P, 22LR Semi-Auto Pistol at the 2014 SHOT Show in Las Vegas. This model will use the same 25-round magazine as our 715T, .22LR Semi-Auto Rifles. According to Canadian law, all 25-round 715T rifle magazines are now prohibited in Canada.

To our distributors, dealers and consumers in Canada: O.F. Mossberg will replace any 25-round magazines you currently have with a 10-round magazine.

Please contact Grech Outdoors for information on replacing your 715T 25-round magazine

Diazjoaquin
01-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Are you serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diazjoaquin
01-23-2014, 04:41 PM
I just ordered two of the 25rds and got them last week..

Diazjoaquin
01-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Is it illegal to sell them online? I know some states in the US allow their use

VancouverSkiBum
01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Well theres a few popping up on cgn EE, people trying to get rid of their rifle and mags. Theres a huge thread about it too.

VancouverSkiBum
01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
I wonder if this is why all the retailers were slashing prices over the holidays on it.

Diazjoaquin
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Huumm i just ordered my 715t and hasnt arrived yet. So as soon as it gets here i will send it right back. Dont want the 10rd mag. I used to laugh at those guys on youtube (in my head) with 10rd mag, now the joke is on me.

jacl
01-23-2014, 07:41 PM
I wonder when the RCMP will make an official announcement, I have seen the announcement Mossberg sent to the dealers a few months back

bettercallsaul
01-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Those extra 15 rounds... It's a good thing the RCMP is looking out for us. Coulda been a blood bath.

ilikemoose
01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Bad news.

VancouverSkiBum
01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
If retailers were notified months ago, then shame on them for continuing to sell the mags and not inform people.

Neil Burke
01-24-2014, 12:48 AM
It's also fubar that something can be sold for an indeterminate amount of time but if the company decides to make a pistol version that uses the rifle mags, all of the existing ones suddenly become prohib. Then again most of the act is fubar.

No man
01-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Anyone know if rcmp even needs to relese a statement ? I know we r suposed too know the laws but...

VancouverSkiBum
01-24-2014, 02:11 AM
:popcorn:

jacl
01-24-2014, 05:50 AM
I'm pretty sure the magazine was manufactured for a rimfire rifle and not a pistol, it is now being used in pistols, but the magazine was manufactured for rifles so I wonder how it will work..

Either way here is the notice from Mossberg
http://i.imgur.com/XfixHACl.jpg

(See the bigger image by clicking here (http://i.imgur.com/XfixHAC.jpg))

mrg372k9
01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Oh dear... I know a lot of folks with them around here

Steveo9mm
01-26-2014, 08:40 AM
I sold my mossberg. Thank god.

webster
01-26-2014, 10:35 AM
If no Canadian importers bring these in (theoretically making them unavailable in Canada) does this still apply?

I probably know the answer already...

JustBen
01-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, this could have been fixed with some simple marketing changes. I'll never buy another Mossberg.

berger
01-27-2014, 06:33 AM
If the pistol is not "readily available" in Canada, then you guys should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jacl
01-27-2014, 07:14 AM
JustBen here's hoping it is marketed correctly! I've been thinking the same thing

Steveo9mm
03-04-2014, 06:29 AM
So whats the final scoop on this... prohibited or no? i want a 715T again but i dont want the ridiculous 10 round mag. I want the 25... I havnt checked to see if they are still for sale or not.

Code-Red
03-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Can't be prohibited if Mossberg isn't selling a pistol up here.

Steveo9mm
03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
They also have them online at cabelas

Claidemore
03-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Mossberg may be mistaken on this issue.
Rimfire magazines designed or manufactured for rifles are not subject to the 10 rd pistol limitation. The 715T magazines were designed, and manufactured for the 715T rifle.
The S&W M&P15 magazines were originally designed for a pistol, therefore they are limited to 10 rds. The Mossberg 715 magazines were originally designed for a rifle, exact opposite situation.
At the very least Mossberg simply has to stamp '715T' on their rifle mags, and '715P' on their pistol mags, if they wish to maintain buyer loyalty in Canada.

crashcollins
03-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Still no Official word from the RCMP yet! I doubt we will hear anything from them until the pistol version is actually available in Canada.

Steveo9mm
03-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Still no Official word from the RCMP yet! I doubt we will hear anything from them until the pistol version is actually available in Canada.

The Mod's here have even stated that it is still legal. we will see what happens with the 715P. I heard its not doing to well and IMO its a waste of time, money and effort.

yonny1490
04-07-2014, 04:46 PM
I tried to buy one of these mags about a month ago from www.gagnonsports.com (oshawa). I emailed their staff and was told that this law went into action a few weeks prior (this was March 13, 2014).

Diazjoaquin
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Look it up on the RCMP website, if it doesnt come from them, dont believe what people say.

crashcollins
04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
I tried to buy one of these mags about a month ago from www.gagnonsports.com (oshawa). I emailed their staff and was told that this law went into action a few weeks prior (this was March 13, 2014).

What Law? A notice from Mossberg is not considered Canadian Law, it's mearly a opinion from them and so far a wrong one at that. If the pistol version does become available in Canada I predict that we will hear from the RCMP pretty quick!

The way they have been prohibiting stuff (for real) lately they won't waste any time officially prohibiting these mags when they have a reason to do so. Oh and if the pistols do come to Canada I hope absolutely nobody buys one!

Steveo9mm
04-09-2014, 02:21 AM
I went to pheonix 2 weeks ago with my 25 round mag... fully loaded to 25 rounds. I aint changing cause mossberg says so.

Haywire1
04-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Again. Until the pistol is available in canada, the magazines that are here in canada already are perfectly legal. Once the pistol is available, that is when the RCMP will make a determination as to whether or not the magazines are to be limited. Front counter staff at firearms stores are seldom up on all the laws and often rely on the manufacturer. Right now, april 9 2014 the 25 round magazines are legal to own in original 25 round capacity. May have a hard time getting new ones as I suspect mossberg may not be shipping them here but the ones that are extant ARE LEGAL

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

damncat
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Last I heard, there will be nothing done about the existing magazines, they just aren't going to import any more 25s.

crashcollins
04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Last I heard, there will be nothing done about the existing magazines, they just aren't going to import any more 25s.

I think you mean Mossberg isn't going to export any more to Canada! That's what I gathered from their notice anyway. Discounting any assumptions they make about Canadian Law.

VancouverSkiBum
05-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Heres an update from Slayer on CGN

Good morning,

RCMP - Specialized Firearm Support Services (RCMP-SFSS) is the legal classification policy centre. I am authorized to speak on the subject of firearm legal classification issues on behalf of SFSS Section and the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP).

Let me identify myself and my job function to you. My name is William Etter. I hold the job position title of Chief Firearms Technologist, in the Specialized Firearms Support Services which is the technical authority in the subject area of assigning the applicable legal class to all firearms, devices and prohibited ammunition.

Your correspondence and the questions you posed to the Firearms Program have been forwarded to me to me for a response.

The Specialized Firearms Support Services Section is a component of the Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Services Directorate, RCMP - Canadian Firearms Program.

QUESTION
I have a question concerning the status of the 25 round magazine which is currently being sold with the Mossberg 715T semi auto 22 lr. carbine.
Recently Mossberg has introduced into the U.S.A. (only) at this point a 715P semi auto 22 lr. pistol which apparently uses the same 25 round magazines as the 715T.
My question is, since the 715P has not been introduced into Canada at this point does that make the current 25 round magazine for the 715T carbine prohibited?
Without anyone having a definitive answer to date, I would just like some clarification on the matter if possible.
Thank you for your time,

ANSWER

The Mossberg 715T firearm model is manufactured in both rifle and handgun configurations. The magazine is interchangeable between the two configurations and is considered a dual purpose handgun / rifle magazine and the more restrictive handgun cartridge capacity limit applies.

Because handguns are limited to a ten shot magazine capacity in accordance with the CC PART III, S. 84, Regulations PART 4 Para 3. (1) (b) "The Former Cartridge Magazine Control Regulations", this limits the magazine capacity for the dual purpose rifle / handgun cartidge magazine to ten (10) shots, despite the firearm being designed to use rim-fire ammunition.

The firm Mossberg consulted with RCMP-SFSS in 2010 & 2012 and were advised that the importation of a "handgun" version of the 715T into North America would complicate their business model due to cartridge magazine issues under Canadian Law. They viewed this outcome as counter-productive and discontinued development (by CBC in Brazil) of the handgun (restricted version) completely. It was reported by Mosberg that no examples were brought to North America. (FRT # 131172)

The matter lay fallow until late 2013 when there was further discussion at the corporate Mossberg HQ level and a decision was made to re-instate the plan and continue to market and sell the CBC Manufactured, Brand name Mossberg, Model 715P (Pistol) firearm and the 715T firearm.

It should be noted that the Mossberg 715T is nothing but a "Dress-up" tactical kit surrounding a Mossberg 702 Plinkster, implicating the same 25 shot cartridge magazine sold for use with the 702 Plinkster series of firearms.

Mossberg Sales and Marketing Branch were advised of this problem and the Canadian cartridge magazine implications well before manufacture and distribution of the 715P firearm took place in 2013. A Mossberg Corporate decision was made to proceed with the sales and marketing in North America of this "Pistol" in 2013.

SPECIFIC QUESTION

My question is, since the 715P has not been introduced into Canada at this point does that make the current 25 round magazine for the 715T carbine prohibited?

ANSWER

Yes. The 25 shot cartridge magazine for the entire family of Mossberg Mossberg Model -715T, Mossberg 715P (restricted) Handgun and Model 702 Plinkster series of firearms, must be reduced to not more than 10 shots of the kind or type for which the cartridge magazine was designed.
Mossberg is fully aware of these facts and have a work around solution (which was revealed to me) consisting of replacing all 25 shot cartridge magazines in the hands of Canadian owners with a ten (10) shot magazine. I cannot speak for Mossberg; however, they are aware of the problem and have a contingency plan.
For further information from the appropriate authority on Mossberg’s “plan” to replace cartridge magazines, contact your Mossberg stocking dealer.

I hope this helps.

William Etter

William (Bill) Etter
Chief Firearms Technologist
Specialized Firearms Support Services
Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate
RCMP - CFP
Specialized Policing Services

613-993-6684

Diazjoaquin
05-01-2014, 05:35 PM
This is bull shit on mossberg's part, i wont ever buy anything from them ever again

mrg372k9
05-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm glad I got rid of my 715t

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

damncat
05-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Could they not just stamp the magazines as being for the different models?

Steveo9mm
05-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Another piece of crap to throw onto my prohibited pile, on top of the cz858. Im spending to much money on s@&t and its getting prohibited after i buy it. I need a new hobby

blacksmithden
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
I wonder when the RCMP will make an official announcement, I have seen the announcement Mossberg sent to the dealers a few months back

I doubt they will anytime soon. Everybody in the country is just expected to know these things have become illegal. Doesn't every gun owner have a fully functioning crystal ball hanging around ? ((( puke )))

crashcollins
05-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Another piece of crap to throw onto my prohibited pile, on top of the cz858. Im spending to much money on s@&t and its getting prohibited after i buy it. I need a new hobby

Don't cave in! That's exactly what they want. We need to keep working and get these stupid insane Laws tossed. Keep writing your MP and as many others as you can along with letters to the PM's office. Change can come but we need to keep up the pressure! Don't let up one bit.