PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on my own property in Abbotsford, help!

coastal
01-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Ok, I have 10 acres, I am out of the no shooting zones, but I am a little unclear if I can target shoot on my property without actually hunting. I would only want to shoot a .22 with my daughter, not really wanting to attract a lot of attention with firing my XCR all day.

That is what I read in 6 a) ii

CITY OF ABBOTSFORD
DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS REGULATION BY-LAW
By-law No. 114-95 Page 2
5. UNQUALIFIED PROHIBITION 100 M FROM PUBLIC PLACES
Subject to Section 6, no person shall discharge, within the limits of the City of
Abbotsford, any firearms within 100 metres of any:
a) school yard;
b) public park;
c) playground;
d) church;
e) workshop;
f) place of business;
g) dwelling house;
h) farm or ranch building;
i) public highway; or
j) other place where persons may be assembled or engaged in work of any kind.

6. EXCEPTIONS

a) Subject to the Firearm Act, the Migratory Birds Convention Act, the Wildlife
Act, and regulations thereto, a person may discharge a firearm within the City
if:

i) An owner or occupier of land or an employee of the owner or occupier
shoots at wildlife on his property which is a menace to a domestic
animal or bird.

ii) That person is an owner or occupier of land, or an employee of an
owner or occupier of land, or a person with the permission of the
owner or occupier of the land to discharge a firearm on the land, that
person is exempt from Section (5) (g) and (h).

iii) An owner or occupier of land or an employee of the owner or occupier
discharges a firearm on the land for the purpose of slaughtering
livestock, that person is exempt from Section (5)(g) and (h) and the
Wildlife Act, insofar as that Act requires a license to hunt or carry a
firearm; and

iv) That person is shooting on a pistol, rifle, trap, or skeet shooting range
or in competitive sport events duly authorized by a permit.

Drache
01-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Are you at least 100m away from any of these THAT AREN'T YOUR OWN?

a) school yard;
b) public park;
c) playground;
d) church;
e) workshop;
f) place of business;
g) dwelling house;
i) public highway; or

If yes to all you are safe to shoot.

coastal
01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Yes I would be for sure.

Strewth
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Agree with Drache. Having a copy of all relevant paperwork, including bylaws, onhand, and shooting subsonics out of a long barrelled bolt .22 might be proactive though.

coastal
01-24-2014, 05:52 PM
My thoughts exactly. ;)

blacksmithden
01-24-2014, 06:15 PM
If your neighbors can hear it, and complain...or even if they can't and a cop does, they're going to lie and say say there was a complaint....then they can get you on a noise bylaw issue. Sorry man...I don't mean to throw water on your fire....just want to point out that it's not just THAT bylaw that they might be able to hang you on. As far as what you posted....from what I see there, as long as you can get 100 meters from everything other than your own buildings, you're good. Just make sure you have some kind of a solid backstop so they can't get you on a careless use/discharge charge.

coastal
01-24-2014, 06:20 PM
No problem, I want to look at it from all angles, at the very least I can shoot Coyotes with the Fraser Valley special hunting permit because they attacked my dog. Or those rabid squirrels....

Candychikita
01-25-2014, 01:07 AM
hmm i know of a bunch of people that shoot their bows in their backyards in abby but no one i know has the cahones to try their guns. there's some pretty big fines for fireworks that my parents were spazzing about when i brought over some fireworks to set off in their driveway bahahahahah.

blacksmithden is right about the noise pollution bylaw - matsqui flats has an issue using the blueberry cannons before a certain time in the morning if i recall correctly. hunt down that noise bylaw for the times where it's ok to be making a racket.

other than that...try it :D i'll look for your mugshot in the paper :D

Drache
01-25-2014, 01:10 AM
See luckily my home town removed the noise bylaw :p

BrotherRockeye
01-25-2014, 03:56 PM
are you friendly with the neighbors?
give em a call and let them know you are gonna be doing some plinking.
Call the po po and let them know too if you think it might be an issue.

coastal
01-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Good idea. Renters next door, highly irritating, but other neighbors are all good.

shadowwarrior
03-03-2014, 01:46 AM
My friend in Abby got a notice of a noise complaint, he was told by city hall that noise above whatever level they deem to be excessive cannot exceed 3 min. of duration. I told him next time we fire a race engine outside to only do it for 2:59, but he doesn't want to cause problems so we decided to put mufflers on any engines we run up on the test stand.

RobSmith
03-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Do what we do here in Quebec, keep a small game license on your person at all times and know what's open at any given time. If the cops really want to play dirty and can't nail you for an unlawful discharge or a noise complaint, they'll try to get the mnr folks involved on suspicion of poaching. Happens quite regularly here.

coastal
03-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I went out with CCI subsonics in the .22, and it was brilliant! I think the birds are louder.

coastal
03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Do what we do here in Quebec, keep a small game license on your person at all times and know what's open at any given time. If the cops really want to play dirty and can't nail you for an unlawful discharge or a noise complaint, they'll try to get the mnr folks involved on suspicion of poaching. Happens quite regularly here.

I'm getting poultry this year, so I will be legally allowed to exterminate pests that are attacking my birds. ;)

coastal
03-03-2014, 09:11 AM
My friend in Abby got a notice of a noise complaint, he was told by city hall that noise above whatever level they deem to be excessive cannot exceed 3 min. of duration. I told him next time we fire a race engine outside to only do it for 2:59, but he doesn't want to cause problems so we decided to put mufflers on any engines we run up on the test stand.

Hahah I have a small offroad race track that I use for practice and testing. My sxs has a 1000cc big bore race motor with almost open exhaust, no complaints yet! lol

Candychikita
03-03-2014, 10:44 AM
my god man. where on earth in abby do you live? bradner road? bahahahaha

good on you :D

coastal
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
my god man. where on earth in abby do you live? bradner road? bahahahaha

good on you :D

Are you a spy???!!!

Candychikita
03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
:D Nah, just my old stomping grounds. No way in hell you can get away with anything like that on the east side.

Back in the day my parents were on the edge of crown land and Glenn Mountain was undeveloped :run:

coastal
03-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Hahah ya, definitely in the land of tulips and daffodils.

Hungo
04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Ok, I have 10 acres, I am out of the no shooting zones, but I am a little unclear if I can target shoot on my property without actually hunting. I would only want to shoot a .22 with my daughter, not really wanting to attract a lot of attention with firing my XCR all day.

That is what I read in 6 a) ii

CITY OF ABBOTSFORD
DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS REGULATION BY-LAW
By-law No. 114-95 Page 2
5. UNQUALIFIED PROHIBITION 100 M FROM PUBLIC PLACES
Subject to Section 6, no person shall discharge, within the limits of the City of
Abbotsford, any firearms within 100 metres of any:
a) school yard;
b) public park;
c) playground;
d) church;
e) workshop;
f) place of business;
g) dwelling house;
i) public highway; or

6. EXCEPTIONS

a) Subject to the Firearm Act, the Migratory Birds Convention Act, the Wildlife
Act, and regulations thereto, a person may discharge a firearm within the City
if:

i) An owner or occupier of land or an employee of the owner or occupier
shoots at wildlife on his property which is a menace to a domestic
animal or bird.

ii) That person is an owner or occupier of land, or an employee of an
owner or occupier of land, or a person with the permission of the
owner or occupier of the land to discharge a firearm on the land, that
person is exempt from Section (5) (g) and (h).

iii) An owner or occupier of land or an employee of the owner or occupier
discharges a firearm on the land for the purpose of slaughtering
livestock, that person is exempt from Section (5)(g) and (h) and the
Wildlife Act, insofar as that Act requires a license to hunt or carry a
firearm; and

iv) That person is shooting on a pistol, rifle, trap, or skeet shooting range
or in competitive sport events duly authorized by a permit.

You are goof to go IF you are not within 100 metres of highway, etc AND you are not hunting birds, etc...

Foxer
04-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Remember to check the hunting regs as well to see if the wildlife act has that listed as a 'no shoot' zone. No 'hunting' zone is fine, but if it's a no shoot zone you can't discharge even if municiple bylaws allow it.

Here's a link to the hunting regs for the region - scroll down to see the no shoot areas. I can't see any likely to affect you at a quick glance:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/region_2.pdf

Also check out page thirteen of the synopsis and make sure you're not within the 400 meter limit of any of these roads:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_2012_2014.pdf

Candychikita
04-28-2014, 01:09 AM
Hey Coastal, have you tried this yet? Wanna check out Aldergrove rules for me while you're at it? :D :D Please pretty please?

Went to Otter Co-op again on the weekend and man, I missed the good natured attitudes in Aldergrove. There was a three way stop and all three people were waving each other on, there was a giant steam tractor being showcased in the parking lot, free hot dogs and when I asked about medicated starter crumble people actually knew what I was talking about. A man budged in line in front of me, acknowledged it and gave up his 'spot' to right the wrong...shopping carts didn't need quarters...every vehicle in the parking lot looked like they hadn't seen a washbay or a detailer in well, ever...the 'for sale board' listed sheep shearing services and a cow for sale.

I think a move is in order. It feels like Abbotsford used to about 30 years ago. Ahhh :D

coastal
04-28-2014, 08:19 AM
I may or may not have already attempted this and nobody said squat. :p

Foxer
04-28-2014, 09:47 AM
I may or may not have already attempted this and nobody said squat. :p

Hehehe - well there you go :)

At a glance i couldn't see any rule that would prohibit it, either with the firearms laws, the municipal laws or the wildlife act.

coastal
04-28-2014, 09:57 AM
There is someone down the road that shoots a much larger caliber rifle, like .308 ish, its freaking loud....but you just carry on about your business. lol

Foxer
04-28-2014, 10:21 AM
There is someone down the road that shoots a much larger caliber rifle, like .308 ish, its freaking loud....but you just carry on about your business. lol

Which is as it should be. I could see if you were doing it all day and night kind of thing with massive noise constantly but seriously, i'm sure there's lots of equipment in a rural environment like that which is just as 'annoying' and if you don't want to hear that kind of thing, perhaps that's not the right place for you to live.

coastal
04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Exactly...2 stroke dirtbikes ripping around all weekend, gun shots, tractors....All great noises to me. Much better than people talking or traffic. lol

Foxer
04-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Much better than people talking or traffic. lol

No foolin'. I live near VGH - with the choppers and ambulances and boom box cars and cop sirens and such, there are times when I think i could light off a 308 and nobody would hear it over the noise :) I wish my job allowed for me to live a little closer to YOUR kind of 'noise pollution'.

Kane63
04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I've been going through a similar exercise in Ontario. I'm in an agricultural area but my property is on a highway. My bylaw doesn't list highways in it though:

No person shall discharge a firearm or bow within one hundred (100) meters
of a dwelling, a public park or private park, a public open space or the
premises of an educational institution or of a religious institution or
organization, including but not limited to any building, structures or grounds
related thereto.

Not sure if public open space qualifies or not, but the kicker for me seems to be the 100m from a dwelling. I only have about 3/4s of an acre so I'm shooting off my back deck with a backstop where the ground has a natural bank. Do your own buildings count? I have gotten both answers. Since it's open farm ground all around even a 10/22 will make a racket (you can hear the shot echo a couple times). No noise bylaw I am aware of and I have shot a few times without incident. Still makes me a bit nervous to fire off more than 100 rounds lol. I'm on the lookout for some subsonics just to cover myself a bit more but its hard to pass up the $0.05 federal bulk rounds.

coastal
04-28-2014, 01:06 PM
We have the same 100m rule, and I thought I dug deeper, or someone posted it in this thread that your own buildings don't count.

Kane63
04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
We have the same 100m rule, and I thought I dug deeper, or someone posted it in this thread that your own buildings don't count.

In the second post someone asked if you were within 100m of anything that wasn't yours. But I had one by-law officer say your own stuff doesn't count and another said it did. Every shooter I have asked said your own buildings don't count. The problem is that my by-law says "a dwelling", technically my house is a dwelling, I know in some other by-laws they specifically have language to exclude any of your own buildings.

The other part that confuses me is that your by-law mentions farm buildings. I can't think of a case where someone, other than the farmer or an agent of theirs, would be shooting within 100m of farm buildings.

coastal
04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
The way I see it, if a coyote comes to get my chickens and I have to shoot one or 8, they will be within 100m of my house, and I should be allowed to take care of the problem.

Super 1
05-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Check the Fraser valley special area map...I'd be careful about the use of single projectiles.