PDA

View Full Version : Worst Range Day Ever

CZUB
02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Ever have one of those range days where nothing seems to work out. You sit there thinking, "what a waste of time." Well, I just had the worst of worst range days ever. 4 days go, I got a new truck. Got it from the Dealership and when I got out of the truck to unlock the gate to the range, the engine begins to rev up on its own. Freaked me out at first as I though someone jumped in the truck and was taking off with it. The truck continued to do that and even on the drive home it was revving up on its own well cursing down the highway so now I have to bring it into the dealership to have them fix it. But it doesn't end there.

The reason why I'm posting in the Main Battle rifles thread is because I brought to the range, my M305. Its been a great rifle. Out of the box, I get 2.5 4 shot groups with a 5th round flyer that makes the total group size 3 - 3.5". Today, I show up to a messy range. No one has been sweeping up their empty cases. Go to pick up the broom when I notice someone has shot it and the broom head is split in two. I proceed to clean the range, on my hands and knees, with half a broom. Alright, so now I'm ready to get started. Set up targets, take five shots. Great 3" group. Shoot another 5 shots, another 3" 5 shot group. Awesome! I like to take the camera with me to the range so I can take pictures of my targets.... Camera battery dead! "What ever, I'll just plink today." So I thought. Go back to the bench, load five more rounds, fire first round at 200 meter steel target when all the sudden.... BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!! gun slam fires the whole magazine. Took gun apart and opened range bag for solvent to clean some of the grease out.... no solvent. I usually left that in the tool box of my old truck. Wipe a bunch of the grease out, shake bolt, firing pin shakes freely, put it back together, load 5 more rounds, chamber round, rifle doesn't slam fire, fire one shot and it slam fires a second, fire again, and if slam fires the last few rounds. F@#k it! pack everything up and went home.

That tops my worst range day ever. Share some of your worst range days stories if you want as I'm sure their are lots. Hahahaha!

I'll throw in a picture of my M305 for shits and gigs.

I really should of brought my Mosin or something as well.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s660/MumblesMarbleMouth/ShootingRangePhotos007_zps349eef22.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/MumblesMarbleMouth/media/ShootingRangePhotos007_zps349eef22.jpg.html)

Tactical72
02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Still better than a good day at work. :)

Haywire1
02-05-2014, 07:53 PM
just a little heads up, crappy you had a bad day at the range, but fbombs are still a nogo bud.

JustBen
02-05-2014, 08:09 PM
My worst day at the range started pretty good. Brand new handgun. About a dozen brands of ammo to try (rimfire of course). Figured out the best in terms of reliability and accuracy. Then, since I was still the only one there, I decided to field strip the gun and clean it. BOING! There goes my recoil spring! Took me forty minutes to find the stupid thing!

lone-wolf
02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Never happened at a range, but when the jw105 blew up in my face, that wasn't a good day. #2 would be running a butler creek steel lip mag in my 10/22, insert mag, pull back and release charging handle, BOOM, first cartridge grenades while still in the magazine. Luckily the the cartridge below it survived, and no chain reaction.

FALover
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Okay, so all I see is green stuff. If your photo is recent then you got no complaining. I will be lucky if I see my lawn mid May!

Strewth
02-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Okay, so all I see is green stuff. If your photo is recent then you got no complaining. I will be lucky if I see my lawn mid May!

Naw, I don't think so, it's nice out here, but not that nice. Clear and sunny, but -10ish, with a nasty arctic wind.

My worst shooting day was when I had sucked up to my lovely wife with a nice dinner out the night before, so I could abandon my parental responsibilities for a day out shooting....huh, I can't remember the rifle anymore. Browning in .270 with a Burris? Anyway, drove out a couple hours, and walked a bit to set up some long range targets. Fired a couple shots...very poor! Scratch head, beat ground with stick, make "Ooook, ooook" noises, figure out it's my ring screws. Reach for my Allen head wrenches.....which I left on the bench at home. Frick. Drive to nearest town, buy cheap wrench set, use cheap set to strip screws. Success! Exactly what I wanted to do. Multi-moral of the story: Loc-tite, don't forget stuff, always buy quality tools, especially tiny ones, and check your rig before leaving.

Edenchef
02-05-2014, 08:43 PM

X3. All I see is white....everywhere.

Cheers!

mlehto
02-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Better than my worst day.

Hunting season, range open to public, absolute chaos, bunch of "once a year" shooters, and I couldn't even find a bench for about 20 minutes.

Finally sit down on the only open bench and it is at the end of the range. Only 200m and only target allowed is the 18 inch gong.

Figure screw it, I'll just waste my hand loads, as I am already here, and sick of waiting.

A couple shots in, and I hear a commotion at the next range over about 20m away, only to see 2 old men fighting over a shotgun for whatever reason.

And then it happens... That gun they were fighting over gets swung right across the entire range, and i watch that muzzle go right by me!

Just as I get my s#*t together, and think I am gonna go say something, the idiot that finally gets the gun and sits at the bench racks the slide, and out comes a live 12 gauge slug!!!

I packed up right then and there. Talked to the owner on the way out, and swore I would never go back on a weekend leading up to hunting season.

Beat that...

lone-wolf
02-05-2014, 09:49 PM
You mean the 2 day safety course to get the firearm license that so many gun owners insists is essential, didn't solve stupid??? Shocking.

Strewth
02-05-2014, 09:56 PM
You mean the 2 day safety course to get the firearm license that so many gun owners insists is essential, didn't solve stupid??? Shocking.

lol.
Who physically argues over a shotgun outside of the movies?
Oh, maybe aggressively polite Canadians?
"You shoot it, I INSIST!"
"NO! It's YOUR TURN!"

CZUB
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Id rather have cold, rainy, sloppy weather over a new $50,000 truck that doesn't work properly.

The photo was from last summer. Put the photo in there just for the heck of it.

lone-wolf
02-05-2014, 11:26 PM
What is the truck?

Neil Burke
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Hunting season, range open to public, absolute chaos, bunch of "once a year" shooters, and I couldn't even find a bench for about 20 minutes.

Finally sit down on the only open bench and it is at the end of the range. Only 200m and only target allowed is the 18 inch gong.

Figure screw it, I'll just waste my hand loads, as I am already here, and sick of waiting.

A couple shots in, and I hear a commotion at the next range over about 20m away, only to see 2 old men fighting over a shotgun for whatever reason.

And then it happens... That gun they were fighting over gets swung right across the entire range, and i watch that muzzle go right by me!

Just as I get my s#*t together, and think I am gonna go say something, the idiot that finally gets the gun and sits at the bench racks the slide, and out comes a live 12 gauge slug!!!

I packed up right then and there. Talked to the owner on the way out, and swore I would never go back on a weekend leading up to hunting season.

Beat that...

Sounds like Silverdale.

BrotherRockeye
02-07-2014, 05:32 PM
My worst range day...

walked all the way there...must be at least 100ft, maybe more!

sat down with 4 different 7mm loads to test and couldn't get any of them to group...

then I discovered the scope was jiggled so I bolted a spare Leupold on it and life was good again...

I hate that!

Drache
02-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Lets see:

~ Drive the hour and a half into town, buy a scope for a new rifle, drive an hour and a half home. Spend an hour getting the scope all perfect, drive 30 minutes to the closest gravel pit, fire one round and the scope goes screwy. Three more rounds to figure out the scope is pooched. Half hour back home to take the scope off then another hour and a half to go return it.

~ Install scope onto rifle, realize the scope is slightly crooked to one side, ring screws get stripped trying to take the scope out. Left scope in and been like this for two years. Will still hit a grouse in the head at 25 yards :p

~ Drive two hours out to my hunting spots with my .22 to spend the day popping grouse. Find out I forgot the magazines. Screw it, decide to just use it as a single shot. Find out the .22LR ammo was taken out of my hunting bag, only have three rounds rolling around in the bottom. Went home. Didn't bring another gun because nothing else was open at the time.

~ Take rifle to range, spend entire day to try and get two rounds to touch at 100 yards. Ended up with a 6" grouping. Drive home and swap scopes, make sure everything is tight, etc. Go back and waste another box of ammo with the same results. Find out that my brand new rifle was a lemon. (multiple people had the same results with multiple brands of ammo)

The list goes on and on with me :p

Stevo
02-07-2014, 06:11 PM
The worst day at the range is better than the the best day at work.

But then again, I hate my job.:smash:

Drache
02-07-2014, 06:16 PM
The worst day at the range is better than the the best day at work.

But then again, I hate my job.:smash:

See I've had REALLY good days at some jobs. Such as going to a range and getting to use some of the fancier toys and getting paid for it :p

Right now though this job entails me spending 90% of my time watching TV and movies (and sometimes the internet if I'm lucky) while getting paid very handsomely for it :D

RobSmith
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
What turned out to be the problem with your rifle ?

As for my worst day at the range, I load up the toz99, pull the charging handle, release, it goes back about half an inch and gets stuck there. Turns out the sear is kaput so the rifle has been a paperweight ever since. One guy graceously allows me to send a few rounds out of his new M305 which at that time were not very common yet, pull the charging handle back, annnnnd the thing slices my finger open (it was pretty cold that day so that probably didn't help). Then my 59/66 kept jamming up, then I spent God knows how long trying to sight in the scope on my toz78 but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get any hits on paper at 100 (or any visible impacts so I could figure out which way to adjust) and there were no approved closer distances at that range that I could tinker with. Definitely not a good day at the range.

road kill
02-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Gee all these sad stories about driving for hours to the range and forgeting stuff makes me feel bad. I also feel inclined to mention that my range is 30 yards from the back door.;D Oh ya i can only see the top half of the back stop due to snow banks, i'll have to aim a little higher if it ever warms up again. CZUB at least your truck is on warranty, better to have it ack up now.

BrotherRockeye
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Gee all these sad stories about driving for hours to the range and forgeting stuff makes me feel bad. I also feel inclined to mention that my range is 30 yards from the back door.;D Oh ya i can only see the top half of the back stop due to snow banks, i'll have to aim a little higher if it ever warms up again. CZUB at least your truck is on warranty, better to have it ack up now.

do like I do and put a "fouler" into the target board to knock the snow down :p

saves starting the snow machine to go out there. ;D

blacksmithden
02-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Worst range day was brought to me by inexperience, and a Lee Pro 1000 reloading press. The inexperience was trusting the powder dispenser on the press, which, after about 20 of the 300 rounds I made, started throwing a charge about every 3rd or 4th round. After going through 100 rounds...about 60 of which were squibs and I had to knock the bullet out of the barrel. Yea...good times. I took the other 200 rounds home and got a lot of practice with my bullet pulling hammer.

Neil Burke
02-08-2014, 09:32 PM
^Powder checkers are your friend if that's progressive.

My worst was more embarrassment that gear failure (read: ID10T error.) I let my buddy use my pistol (supervised) but he was having issues that I had never seen before. I didn't have it when I tried it, so I thought nothing of it. Well, turns out that I was infected. The next time I go to the range, I'm continually dropping the mag under recoil. Got to love HK trigger guard releases and poor fundamentals. ><

blacksmithden
02-09-2014, 11:39 AM
^Powder checkers are your friend if that's progressive.

My worst was more embarrassment that gear failure (read: ID10T error.) I let my buddy use my pistol (supervised) but he was having issues that I had never seen before. I didn't have it when I tried it, so I thought nothing of it. Well, turns out that I was infected. The next time I go to the range, I'm continually dropping the mag under recoil. Got to love HK trigger guard releases and poor fundamentals. ><

After fighting with God only knows how many different issues with that Pro 1000, I finally tore the thing off my bench and threw it in a corner. Somebody made an inquiry about it a few years back and asked if I wanted to sell it. I flat out told him that it was a piece of junk and that I didn't even feel good about selling it to him even though I'd told him about it's issues. He wanted it anyway, and offered me $80 (IIRC) for it. Fine...sold. I went single stage for a long time after that, and eventually bought a Lee turret press. It spit a ball and spring out the bottom one day. I bought another one since I was generally happy with it. Now my new one is having issues with indexing. I will never buy another Lee product that has more than 3 moving parts.

Ok..sorry...BACK TO THE TOPIC !

I thought of another range day that was worse. I took a doctor out to the range one day, and didn't I manage to pick the bench right next to a range nazi who just loved hearing the sound of his own voice. There was absolutely NOTHING unsafe about the way I was showing the guy how to shoot, but the jack-### just HAD to interject every chance he got. Apparently, EVERYBODY but me knew about this idiot. Somebody was actually going to put forth a motion at the club meeting to have his membership revoked because he was such a pain in the a-- to everybody he could possibly get to listen. I don't know if it ever happened. If it wasn't doc's first time out, I would have flat out verbally blasted the guy back to the stone age. I was so frustrated. I knew this idiot was a complete nut job, but I couldn't really do much without making us (shooters in general) look like a bunch of confrontational idiots. I can only pray that he's still a member, and that he tries that garbage sometime when it's just him and I at the range. To this day, Doc has never accepted another invite to come out and shoot.

CanuckWR
02-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Beat that...

I live in a small town, with a VERY peaceful range and I won't go at all from last week of august to end of september. I have been in someone's scope more than once.... Not cool.

Stephen
02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey, it was still better than a day with the wife right?

I want to buy one of those guns and turn it in to a beater hunting rifle. Time to do some reading.

Plink
02-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Worst range day... It was cold and rainy once...

Other than that, all good range days, no matter the equipment issues.

Better than being at work!

Joemama
03-13-2014, 11:45 AM
My worst range day involves losing my car keys at the range at closing time.