PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Sparc II

Ben
02-15-2014, 12:07 PM
As I'm always looking for new gear to try out and I love RDS - especially small/micro RDS - I'm going to be trying this new sight from Vortex.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/series_rd_sparc2.jpg

An interesting and attractive feature (that you don't get with other RDS) is the mount that comes with it as it allows for 3 different mounting options: absolute, lower 1/3rd or direct mount on a pic. rail. Now whether or not the mounts together will be solid w/o movements (Vs a 1 piece LaRue mount for example) is yet to be known.

Simplified buttons as well - no more power side button and only two buttons at the back, the upper arrow functioning as the power button as well.

Batterie life isn't the best on the market at 300hrs@ highest setting & 5,000 hrs@ minimum brightness setting; Benchmark being the Micro.

ETA: Scheduled for this spring. I've emailed a couple of shops to get a better idea.

Pricing: MSRP is at $289.....so $600 by the time they get here and our dollar will be at 1/2 the value of the greenback!!

stevesummit
02-16-2014, 06:54 AM
I'd buy this one if it's anything close to the first version ! Nothing but good luck and solid hits with them !!!!

Ben
02-16-2014, 07:37 AM
The price point is really good. For half the price of an Aimpoint Micro (still my favorite) you really cannot go wrong. The more streamline body design gives it a better esthetic look as well - I say this even though function should trump fashion, it's not a bad thing to have better looking gear as well!

TV-PressPass
02-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Played with one at Shot Show along with their new prismatic sights!

Makes me miss my old sparc.

Ben
02-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Played with one at Shot Show along with their new prismatic sights!

Makes me miss my old sparc.

I'll let you know how it works out whenever they are shipped out. I didn't recall seeing a thread on the other site - not that I would now anyway, having gone pink a week or two ago ;)

Satain
02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Interesting...
Can't wait to try one.

killer kane
02-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Same here. Nothing but good luck with the two I've got.

Ben
04-28-2014, 09:28 AM
These have been shipped out (a week or so ago) and I'm waiting to hear back if I'll be on this order or not as I know that there is still a backorder on them - next shipment is only in June (if it holds).

Hopefully one will top one of my ARs in the next week or so :)

Edenchef
04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
I have the Sparc I with the flip mount 3X multiplier on my T97. Love it! Both are rock solid units, Switch from 0X RD for close in fast targeting; to 3X mag for going out to the max range of the platform in less than a second. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers!

Foxer
04-28-2014, 10:30 AM
I sure wish somehow they'd find a way to extend the battery life. On the whole tho i'm very happy with all my Vortex optics. I have a few now, good for the money.

Ben
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
I have the Sparc I with the flip mount 3X multiplier on my T97. Love it! Both are rock solid units, Switch from 0X RD for close in fast targeting; to 3X mag for going out to the max range of the platform in less than a second. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers!

Agreed - the Sparc I is a great unit and for the price, really hard to beat. This one should be just as good!

Ben
05-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Finally have one in the mail coming. Not bad for $270 shipped & taxed.

Sparky369
05-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Do you mind if I ask where you found your Optic? I am on the look out.

Mark-II
05-21-2014, 12:45 PM
This one doesn't come with a magnifier like the previous version did?

That's what made the original one my initial red dot purchase. Good value

FlyingHigh
05-31-2014, 10:58 AM
I just picked up a Sparc II at the local Wholesale Sports. $249.99. I couldn't say no. It's now mounted on my 10/22. :D

I haven't shot it yet but I gotta say, just based on the playing around with it at home, I'm very impressed.

Mr. Spectacular
06-02-2014, 12:46 PM
So the II is slightly longer and is missing the NV setting that the I had/has?

FlyingHigh
06-02-2014, 07:42 PM
While I'm not familiar with the first Sparc, this one has no magnifier included and no NV setting, unless you mean being able to dim the red dot.

harbl_the_cat
06-23-2014, 10:25 AM
My Sparc G1 was having intermittent shut-offs on the range over the weekend. Is that symptomatic of a weak battery or a malfunctioning unit?

Mr. Spectacular
07-03-2014, 07:54 PM
My Sparc G1 was having intermittent shut-offs on the range over the weekend. Is that symptomatic of a weak battery or a malfunctioning unit?

Weak battery.

Even though they're made in China, the Sparc's are "bullet proof", IMO.

I have 3 of them and all 3 are tanks.

The downside with the Sparc (I or II) is the battery life. Even on a medium setting, you're only going to get a few hundred hours out of them (but that doesn't mean that the battery you're using is still good even if it has fewer hours on it).

Change the battery and report back.

Mr. Spectacular
07-03-2014, 07:55 PM
The Sparc II is longer, has no night vision setting, and the major difference is that it takes a common 2032 battery as opposed to the obscure 2356(?) the Sparc I takes.

superbad
12-11-2014, 04:18 PM
i think it has night vision but that is now intergrated into the red dot intensity settings. lifetime guarantee on all vortex products, cant go wrong with them. Im on the hunt for one tomorrow and a 1-6 for my 3 gun rifle at italians big sale.

Jerry Champagne
03-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Vortex makes solid products. I had a viper pst 1x4 x24 on my 16" AR glass is immaculate sight is as good as many of the high end stuff. As for the sparc 2 I just put one on my ddm4a1 and I like it as much as ththe aimpoint t1. Takes a beating holds zero and looks good doing it.