View Full Version : Best way to get a magazine from the States without offending the government (on either side)

02-19-2014, 02:32 PM


I'd like to get this mag - but the seller doesn't ship to Canada.

If I order it and ship it to my parents in Las Vegas, would the authorities give me a hard time if:

a) I brought it home in my checked luggage
b) I shipped it to myself

02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
If it is not an ITAR issue, then you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

02-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Ugh... ITAR... How do you know if it is or not?

02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Ask the friendly (not sarcastic, they were very helpful) folk at the Department of Commerce? You can Google the EAR (export administration regulations)..I think it's part 774...
ITAR is part 121 , the Munitions List....
I have this info saved on another computer...Is it under $100 ($500 has many exemptions)? Why doesn't the seller ship to Canada? They might know the specific no-no regulation that would save you a lot of running around, or at least narrow it down.

EDIT: Wait no, I think you're boned harbl. Contact the friendly folk at the US Dept. of State (ITAR), and I think they'll say that no matter the price you need an export permit for an ammunition device.
Basically as always, if it's connected to a firearm, you need an export permit. Except scope bases and rings.

02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't think this works, but you could ask about this at the Dept of State:

 123.17(a) Minor components - Components and parts for Category I firearms are
exempt from licensing requirements when the total value does not exceed $100
wholesale in any single transaction. Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or
complete breech mechanisms are major components and require a license.

02-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Magazines are restricted for export out of the US under ITAR. The cost does NOT enter into the discussion. The $500 'limit' only applies to US licensed exporters, NOT just anyone.

Could a friend or relative mail it to you? Yes but they would bf breaking US law. Contact the US Dept of State for clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk