PDA

View Full Version : New Pistol is here - Registration Certificate is not

BCMac
02-28-2014, 08:32 PM
So a shiny new 9mm has arrived. Clearly, new toy means trip to the range tomorrow to deflower it. The only thing is, the registration certificate has not arrived from the CFC yet. When she emailed the STATT to pick it up yesterday, she also emailed the Transfer Notification but no registration.

Does the transfer notification work in lieu of the registration tomorrow to get this girl out to the range and dirty?

blacksmithden
02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
I just went through this with the CFC. The new owner is to keep the firearm locked up in their home until the new registration certificate arrives. I pointed out that the new owner would then be in possession of a restricted firearm with no registration certificate for a period of time. She said that was ok. The transfer has been completed and it's in their name, but the new owner is to keep it locked up until the new registration certificate arrives.

BCMac
02-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks blacksmithden, I was afraid it was going to be some ridiculousness like that around a 4"x2" piece of paper. Firearms laws never cease to disappoint.

bugsy_n_blue
02-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I asked the same question 2 weeks ago from the CFO when I took possession of a pistol from a Quebec Dealer. It was delivered by Canada Post with nothing except for the invoice. I was told that every province has a different policy regarding Restricted FA purchase. In Quebec, transfer notice is sent to the dealer only allowing the release of the FA to the buyer. No other document required per se. What surprises me is the fact that when I first called CFO, I was told to wait for the Reg Cert. A week later, no trace of Reg Cert from the mail. I called again CFO explaining my dilemma. I told the rep that I took possession of a Restricted FA with nothing but an invoice. She told me that there should be a Buyers Transfer Notification that I should have received. So immediately, she verified all my info, took my email address and in 1 hr, I have my Buyer Transfer Notice. I asked if this is sufficient enough to bring the FA to the range. Her answer is yes, but with condition that you must have a valid ATT. This Buyer's Transfer Notification has your name and the Firearms ID. They cannot send/email a copy of the Reg Cert. If you do not get your Reg Cert within 10 days of the transfer date, phone your CFO. The 2nd concern here is the local Police unit. NOt all of them are versed with the Firearms Act. If you get inspected along your route to the range, they might interpret the law the other way. I was told by the CFO rep, in case this happens, asked them politely to check the registry through their computer in their patrol car. Do not start an argument. To be on the safe side, wait for the reg cert.

Safe Shooting!

So a shiny new 9mm has arrived. Clearly, new toy means trip to the range tomorrow to deflower it. The only thing is, the registration certificate has not arrived from the CFC yet. When she emailed the STATT to pick it up yesterday, she also emailed the Transfer Notification but no registration.

Does the transfer notification work in lieu of the registration tomorrow to get this girl out to the range and dirty?

coldestcanuck
03-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Read your LTATT conditions