PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued Browning BLR

J-Rod
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and have a question about a rifle I'm looking for that was discontinued.

I had my eyes set on a laminate stainless Browning BLR with a pistol grip, chambered in .308. Now that I actually have the funds in place to pick one up it seems that this particular model has been discontinued by Browning.

So I guess I have two questions...Does anyone have an idea of who may still have one in stock? Also, any info as to why it was discontinued or is it just one of those things where they make some models for a while then stop and switch things up? I wouldn't consider myself a "gun nut", but more of an avid hunter that doesn't really keep up with the what's what of the gun world, so I'm not really up on these things.

Thanks Guys,

coastal
03-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I have had success phoning or emailing a brands distributor in Canada, and asking them what dealers have bought the exact rifle you are looking for over the last year or two.

Strewth
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Gagnon Sports has SS/Lam .308 takedowns in stock?
Huh, so does Chilliwack Dart and Tackle, I don't know about their shipping policies though.
And P&D in Edmonton lists it in stock as well, I can recommend them with no hesitation.

J-Rod
03-02-2014, 08:04 PM
It was the pistol grip version in particular that I was after that seems hard to come by. I'm not totally against the 81 style but it seems most are takedowns.

Does anyone know if the 81 version is available as a regular non-takedown model?

Does anyone here have a takedown BLR and what are your thoughts? I don't see the takedown feature as a benefit to me so I would prefer it without.

Anyone opinion on if the takedown shoots just the same as a non would be great. If it can get a little sloppy over time I would prefer to avoid it.

Like I said dont know much and trying to get better informed.

Thanks again!

Edit: if anyone knows of a good online list of dealers that show inventory online that would be great!!

Rory McCanuck
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
I don't see the takedown feature as a benefit to me so I would prefer it without.
Being able to clean barrel from the breach end without pulling the lever/bolt and then spending the next three days trying to time it correctly again.

J-Rod
03-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Being able to clean barrel from the breach end without pulling the lever/bolt and then spending the next three days trying to time it correctly again.

That's a really good point! I don't plan on using the "scout style" scope so mounting a scope on the recover would I not have to remove the scope to take it down and clean? I'm assuming I would need to sight it each time I clean it?

What are people's experience with takedown rifles? I'm sure I'm wrong but I just picture things not fitting as tight sacrificing accuracy. Is this an irrational concern?

Strewth
03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
My only experience is with one of my hunting buddies; he loves it, but he babies it. I'll ask him on Wednesday if he has a pro/con list....I assume it will all be pros, though:). I think it's a very nice rifle, very solid mating the two peices together...but I'm not sure how often he takes it apart.

J-Rod
03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
My only experience is with one of my hunting buddies; he loves it, but he babies it. I'll ask him on Wednesday if he has a pro/con list....I assume it will all be pros, though:). I think it's a very nice rifle, very solid mating the two peices together...but I'm not sure how often he takes it apart.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Personal testimony is worth way more than online magazine type reviews to me.

Strewth
03-03-2014, 10:48 AM
^Completely agree.

Rory McCanuck
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
That's a really good point! I don't plan on using the "scout style" scope so mounting a scope on the recover would I not have to remove the scope to take it down and clean?
No, the scope is mounted to the top of the receiver, and it breaks at the front of the receiver. The scope just stays on the receiver.

I'm assuming I would need to sight it each time I clean it?
I would, just for peace of mind, but probably not needed. I've read of people taking them down repeatedly and it not affecting aim.

What are people's experience with takedown rifles? I'm sure I'm wrong but I just picture things not fitting as tight sacrificing accuracy. Is this an irrational concern?
I don't have experience with one...yet, but I dont think it is really anything to be worried about.
That barrel locks on a whole bunch tighten than the bolt locks up, and it's not like the bullet has to make a jump a chasm; the barrel remains the same every time. I'd think the accuracy would be similar to a non take down one.

sk8r
03-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I have one in .308 (straight grip version, coz I don't like the pistol grip...) and I have travelled by canoe with it taken down many many times. I have a receiver mounted scope, and it does not lose the zero when you re-assemble it.

It's my absolute favorite rifle that I own. :)

J-Rod
03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys!!

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the regular grip stainless laminate model a dealer here has in stock. I really appreciate the info!

J-Rod
03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Here's another question to the experts out there!
if there are no real accuracy issues with taking the gun down and putting it back together with a receiver mounted scope, what's the point of the "scout style" scope mount? Is it just for people who want extra long eye relief?

Just curious is all.

Petamocto
03-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Are you fixed on 308? I have a friend with a 300WSM I can see if he wants to sell if you're more concerned with the rifle than the calibre.

sk8r
03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Here's another question to the experts out there!
if there are no real accuracy issues with taking the gun down and putting it back together with a receiver mounted scope, what's the point of the "scout style" scope mount? Is it just for people who want extra long eye relief?

Just curious is all.

They were originally made for top-eject lever rifles and occasionally a milsurp that couldn't accept a receiver mounting. Also, if you had a REALLY heavy-caliber magnum, you might want one to avoid any recoil injury. But, that's about it. There's really no advantage to them, and, in act, a big disadvantage is that the longer the eye relief, the smaller the field-of-view. Imo, it's just a 'style' thing nowadays......

J-Rod
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Are you fixed on 308? I have a friend with a 300WSM I can see if he wants to sell if you're more concerned with the rifle than the calibre.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have bolt action 300 win mag, so I'm looking for a fun level gun wih a little less kick ass well.

J-Rod
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info!

kojak54
12-25-2016, 08:53 AM
I don't know if you are still looking but sporteque in Drummondville has one and Lequlle down east.
I just bought one in 22-250 a beautiful gun,

http://sporteque.ca/index.php?id_product=1652&controller=product&id_lang=1

http://lequillecountrystore.com/hunting-products/guns/browning/bolt-action-rifles-2

Cheers

passelin@rogers.com

gtr
12-25-2016, 09:03 AM

A little bit of knowledge thing, again applies.

gtr
12-25-2016, 09:19 AM
If you want the pistol grip, they are available. I have both , in numerous configurations from 222 to 325wsm. The pistol grip I find have less felt recoil than the straight pull. No reason to not get the take down, only advantages. Cleaning the barrel, packing in the take down case is sweet as well. The laminate stock has a friendlier finish to scratching also. Grab one you won't be disappointed.