PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your lead from?

connexion123
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM

M.T. Chambers
04-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Scrap metal dealers will have pure lead usually, this is what i usually look for, then i add tin and/or linotype, depending on hardness requirements, I am paying .40 cents a pound for lead, but anything under a dollar will work for you. When you add tin it makes the bullet much more effective as it will mushroom and not break up, if you ad or use wheelweights and/or linotype, the tendency will be for bullets to be brittle and shatter on very hard bone. Most production cast bullets are way too hard for good results on game, either not expanding at all or shattering on anything hard.

connexion123
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM

M.T. Chambers
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I use 30-1, 20-1, and 15-1....people will say that with that much tin you are not hardening much more, but as I said earlier, the tin makes the bullet much more maleable (is that a word?), which is important on big game. For pure target shooting like Cast Bullet Benchrest, I usually use pure linotype or close to it, works good for this and higher speeds if the diameter matches your bore closely, but not good for big game IMHO.

Drache
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
I've got lead ingots left from my great grandfather that he made and used a long time ago.

connexion123
04-28-2012, 11:37 PM

M.T. Chambers
04-29-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't use nickle for anything, and know nothing about it, wouldn't it be very hard and require alot of heat to melt? I've not heard of it being used for cast boolits.....

arancio
04-29-2012, 07:15 AM
When I was shooting BPCR I used nuclear medicine lead containers for cast bullets.

riderrick
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
could always but a tire store....

RobSmith
06-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Scrap metal dealers are pretty much the only "reliable" source these days as wheel weights are increasingly made of more "eco-friendly" materials.

riderrick
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Scrap metal dealers are pretty much the only "reliable" source these days as wheel weights are increasingly made of more "eco-friendly" materials.

dang....anyone want to buy a tire store.....I need a new source for lead....lol

blacksmithden
06-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm telling you guys...even if you have to lay out a few bucks for it, gather up all the wheel weight lead you can now. It's going to be rarer than hens teeth in a few years.

bccanadian
06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
So, if I were able to get my hands on a few buckets of wheel weights (I don't cast bullets), would anyone be interested? I live in the lower mainland so I wouldn't be putting it the mail box to send to someone.

I work for a freight company and the tire guy is a friend of mine. Last time I asked, he got me (for my club) 2 five gallon buckets full. Heavy as h3ll. I split it into ice cream size bucket for easier transport.

Splatter
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
So, if I were able to get my hands on a few buckets of wheel weights (I don't cast bullets), would anyone be interested? I live in the lower mainland so I wouldn't be putting it the mail box to send to someone...
Yup, very interested, provided, of course, that most of the wheel weights are lead alloy. The last wheel weights I (almost) bought were 200 pounds, gross weight, less than 10 pounds of lead!

bccanadian
06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I'll see what I can do. It's been a couple of years since I got the lead from the tire guy, so I don't know if they have switched to a less toxic weight or not. If it is stll lead, I should be able to get a few pounds worth.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out. He was on vacation last week and I can't remember if he is back today or next Monday.

AKS403
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I've done wheel weights, when I've gotten free bags of shot, melted that. I also picked up nearly 50 lbs of pure from fishing weights. Got those from a garage sale for 12$!! I was thinking, in scrounging my lead, where could other sources of lead be found? I know ww is most common, but what about lead pipes from ghost towns? I've also heard of lead being used as flashing on old roofs. I'm interested in paying as LITTLE as possible at the best of times. So what say ye? Where do you get your stuff from?

You are correct. Lead was used a lot for flashing curbs and such. We still use it now, but only when installing drains. I believe we get it in 30" x 30" sheets? not 100% sure. Whatever it is, we always have to cut it down. Depending on the job size you can walk away with a fair amount of pure lead. So befriend a flat roofer;)

woodenkayaker
07-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I work for the biggest roofing company in edmonton and I have the roofers drop off old lead flashings at the shop when they come in for new work... *g*

westislandrifle
07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
i get my lead from my local shooting range but i have to clean out the trap and melt it down in 10 pound bars the split is fifty fifty them and my self

daddySEAL
08-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Will any shooting range owners let you scoop up fired lead from their berms, before they open...or after they close?
I do that here in Texas, so it's free for me.

bjs7293
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
For some reason recyclers love automotive and truck batteries over lead wheel weights and lead products. I trade batteries for good lead, works good for me......

blacksmithden
08-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Will any shooting range owners let you scoop up fired lead from their berms, before they open...or after they close?
I do that here in Texas, so it's free for me.

Our problem here is, all of our ranges have to be approved by the chief firearms officers in the province where they're located. A good number of them are a wee bit nuts about safety...and that's putting it mildly. Completely irrational would be a better way of saying it. Once a berm is approved for use, we're usually not allowed to climb it....walk on top of it, or touch it in any way. If they let people pick bullets off them, then eventually, somebody is going to start climbing on them....which will eventually wind up with somebody digging into them with shovels. I can fully understand why most clubs have a rule against doing anything to them.

daddySEAL
08-05-2012, 05:10 AM
For some reason recyclers love automotive and truck batteries over lead wheel weights and lead products. I trade batteries for good lead, works good for me......

Thanks...I'll check into that here.