PDA

View Full Version : New Master Lock Review

CF_Smith
03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Hey, new to GOC, but I like the atmosphere here.

I picked up a old school locker to use as a AMMO locker that will be shared amongst three or more people so I decided to opt for a combination lock to avoid the hassle of keys.
I went to my local Canadian Tire and was looking for a lock where I could set the combination, so that it would be easier to remember then a simple dudley lock (love dudleys, just have too many of them and remembering which combo is for which lock becomes a hassle), and found this: http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details/1500iD for 10 bucks.

I thought $10 was a little steep, but the idea of it was good on paper so I thought I would try it. Well it works! The lock allows you to set a combination of any length (though I am sure there is a limit, I doubt it would remember 10,000 entries) of directional movements (up, down, left and right). It can be done with ought looking at the lock so it allows for quick access at night. The procedure to set the combination is a bit tedious but the instructions are clear and not vague at all.

The lock is smooth and has a reset feature incase the wrong combination is imputed. I've been playing with the lock for a couple days now and the only issue I have with the lock is when inputting the combination at higher speeds, it doesn't always seem to pick it up. Though this may be an issue as I was entering the combination as fast as my thumb could go. If you input the combo in a smooth manner at a decent pace (faster then a dudley or keyed lock) it opens every time. The lock is also very convenient to ope one-handed.

Over all, though a lock review must be boring, I thought you might like to know about this "tactical" lock that is great for storage that may need to be accessed on the night.

James

Candychikita
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Neat! Thank you for the review :D Welcome to the club :D

stevesummit
03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Welcome to goc and thanks for the review

Wendell
03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwA0iRD_8Ss

blacksmithden
03-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the site. Sorry...I'm an old fart who resists change and I dont particularly like electronic gizmos that can fail. There are two ways to open a combination lock in my world. First is to use a combination to line up mechanical tumblers. The second is bolt cutters/grinder/hammer. :) h
How well does that thing work at -40c and how well does it work after being submerged for half an hour ? Also, how does it react when you heat it with a propane torch to thaw it out after a freezing rain storm ??? Not trying to be a smart ---.....these are just the things I think about because ive had to resort to the second method of opening far too many times. :D

awndray
03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
It's not electronic.

http://youtu.be/CZqLz9URiik

http://visualizer.theopensourcelock.org/

CF_Smith
03-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the site. Sorry...I'm an old fart who resists change and I dont particularly like electronic gizmos that can fail. There are two ways to open a combination lock in my world. First is to use a combination to line up mechanical tumblers. The second is bolt cutters/grinder/hammer. :) h
How well does that thing work at -40c and how well does it work after being submerged for half an hour ? Also, how does it react when you heat it with a propane torch to thaw it out after a freezing rain storm ??? Not trying to be a smart ---.....these are just the things I think about because ive had to resort to the second method of opening far too many times. :D

It is not electronic at all. As far as durability it is not an outdoor lock, it's meant to be an indoor lock. Also if you forget the combination, which you can store on the master lock site, or on a piece of paper, you could easily open the lock with bolt cutters... like every other lock...

road kill
03-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Welcome CF, looks like an intersting lock not one i would use outdoors though. I will check it out next time i hit a canadian tire, i have a big batch of cheap key locks i got at Princess Auto all keyed alike, 6 for $9.99 i think.