PDA

View Full Version : Left handed shooter looking to get into IPSC

whitewolf1389
03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Lefty here, i was at al flahretys outdoor store today just browsing through some different types of handguns. I have large hands and im left handed and was wondering if any other lefties on here shoot IPSC and what guns do you use? I liked the CZ75 SP-01 shadow it was a really comfortable grip, the rep also showed me the H&K 45 which i really liked as well due to the ambidextrous slide release( didn't like the long trigger pull in DA mode), and finally the glock 17 i held and it felt comfortable. So basically i have held 3 guns so far( and fired the glock 17 a while back)

1. cz sp01 shadow
2. H&K 45 ( the rep said he has the same one in 9mm)
3. Glock 17 Gen 4

any left handed shooters recommend a good handgun for IPSC? I would prefer production division first and later on i might buy a 1911 and get into the classic division as well.

Satain
03-05-2014, 11:31 PM
CZ but not the shadow get the metal framed gun. Lighten up the slide and get the right recoil spring for your load.

Drache
03-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I shoot sidearm left handed. I don't shoot IPSC so I can't comment on any of that. But with the sidearms I've used, most did not have ambi slide/mag releases so I taught myself to use my ring finger on my left hand to press the mag release and for most sidearms I can use my trigger finger to release the slide (although normally I use my right hand to pull the slide back and release unless I'm shooting one handed).

whitewolf1389
03-06-2014, 09:46 AM
CZ but not the shadow get the metal framed gun. Lighten up the slide and get the right recoil spring for your load.

not the sp01 shadow? the shadow is all steel iirc... right? i think you are thinking about the p09 which is the polymer version of the shadow.

I shoot sidearm left handed. I don't shoot IPSC so I can't comment on any of that. But with the sidearms I've used, most did not have ambi slide/mag releases so I taught myself to use my ring finger on my left hand to press the mag release and for most sidearms I can use my trigger finger to release the slide (although normally I use my right hand to pull the slide back and release unless I'm shooting one handed).

The h&K45 has the ambi slide release although i havent seen it much in ipsc production, ( if anyone here shoots that gun , how is it? ) which is why i put it in my list, the one thing i like about all 3 guns is you can change mag release to either side. i will however try your method next time i ask someone at the range or if im at a store holding one to try and see how it goes.

Beltfed
03-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Lefty here...used to shoot production. The Shadow is very popular and a good bet for a lefty.
Others would be the S&W M&P, Glock 17 and Springer XD. I've used all of the ones I've mentioned, and they would all serve you well.

whitewolf1389
03-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Lefty here...used to shoot production. The Shadow is very popular and a good bet for a lefty.
Others would be the S&W M&P, Glock 17 and Springer XD. I've used all of the ones I've mentioned, and they would all serve you well.

awesome! thanks for the information, also what do recommend for holsters?

coastal
03-07-2014, 08:10 AM

I think you're confused. Shadow is all steel.

:)

I saw a guy with an H&K and it was a DQ nightmare because he would push the mag release with his index finger and it looked like his finger was on the trigger from some angles.

Satain
03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I think you're confused. Shadow is all steel.

:)

I saw a guy with an H&K and it was a DQ nightmare because he would push the mag release with his index finger and it looked like his finger was on the trigger from some angles.
Yep miss type sorry guy. meant to say" CZ but not the polymer, get the shadow metal framed gun"

conger
03-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Lefty here, i was at al flahretys outdoor store today just browsing through some different types of handguns. I have large hands and im left handed and was wondering if any other lefties on here shoot IPSC and what guns do you use? I liked the CZ75 SP-01 shadow it was a really comfortable grip, the rep also showed me the H&K 45 which i really liked as well due to the ambidextrous slide release( didn't like the long trigger pull in DA mode), and finally the glock 17 i held and it felt comfortable. So basically i have held 3 guns so far( and fired the glock 17 a while back)

1. cz sp01 shadow
2. H&K 45 ( the rep said he has the same one in 9mm)
3. Glock 17 Gen 4

any left handed shooters recommend a good handgun for IPSC? I would prefer production division first and later on i might buy a 1911 and get into the classic division as well.

I'm not into IPSC yet. But I am going to get registered for a black badge course fairly soon. My wife and I both intend to get involved with IPSC. She shoots a CZ75 SP01. What a great little pistol. It has performed flawlessly right out of the box.
I shoot an STI Edge. It's single action but has ambi safety. Very nice gun to shoot without much muzzle flip. It is a heavier gun, which I like and would be a good fit for a guy with bigger hands.
I'm a lefty but I shoot right handed in pistol. I'm right eye dominant so once I got use to it, it become more natural for me.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Canuck223
03-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Obviously, I am biased.....

One great option for the southpaw is the Grand Power pistols.
They come fully ambi right out of the box, no switching of mag releases required. All the controls work from both sides without switching.
They also have 4 back straps to fit every hand.

Dlask are clearing out the remaining Mk7 frame K100 and X-Trims cheap before the new MK12 frames land.

Strewth
03-22-2014, 11:14 AM
CZ85 is ambi, I have no idea why I sold mine:(.

whitewolf1389
04-22-2014, 08:16 PM

They come fully ambi right out of the box, no switching of mag releases required. All the controls work from both sides without switching.

Dlask are clearing out the remaining Mk7 frame K100 and X-Trims cheap before the new MK12 frames land.

any dealers in GTA or outside GTA sell the grand power pistols? wouldnt mind holding one to see how it fits.

Beltfed
04-26-2014, 09:19 AM
awesome! thanks for the information, also what do recommend for holsters?

There is no real compelling reason to use anything but the Bladetech with a dropped off-set attachment.
Some guys like to think they are better served by a slick looking CR Speed or similar competition holster, but truth is they are shaving .1 or .2 seconds (at best) off their draw time - the majority are not doing anything other than flashing IPSC bling at a match.

Wendell
04-26-2014, 08:30 PM
One of the most affordable pistols on the market, with a good trigger, controls on both sides, and increasing worldwide LE acceptance, an M&P9 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757954_-1_757781_757781_image) should be considered by any shooter, and especially a Production Division shooter who happens to be left-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM79oVZOc8o

Gunny_Guns
04-27-2014, 04:13 AM
One of the most affordable pistols on the market, with a good trigger, controls on both sides, and increasing worldwide LE acceptance, an M&P9 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757954_-1_757781_757781_image) should be considered by any shooter, and especially a Production Division shooter who happens to be left-handed.

I dont shoot IPSC yet, but i currently own a m&p in 9mm and absolutely love it. I have shot 300 rounds out of it with not a single failure. Although after talking to lots of the guys who shoot IPSC they all advised me to move into a 1911 of some sort.

Canuck223
04-27-2014, 06:09 AM
any dealers in GTA or outside GTA sell the grand power pistols? wouldnt mind holding one to see how it fits.

Is Sharon outside your travel zone.....

whitewolf1389
05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
ive driven to target sports in stouville, so no, a bit more of a drive shouldnt be an issue to me :P

saskgunowner
05-08-2014, 08:20 PM

I really needed to know this........

whitewolf1389
07-09-2014, 06:01 PM
joined a pistol club, orientation starts in september!, luckily found a club close to where i live :). As for handguns i havent had a chance to hold/test fire a grand power pistol , current list has been narrowed down to a tanfoglio stock 3 xtreme , cz sp01 shadow/shadowline and maybe a GP xcalibur depending on fitment in my hands.