PDA

View Full Version : OFAH's Letter to Blaney

awndray
03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
On March 10, 2014 the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters sent a letter to the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety with regards to the RCMP's desicision to re-classify the Swiss Army Classic Green carbine from non-restricted to prohibited status.

The full letter is available for download in PDF format.
http://www.ofah.org/news/swiss-army-re-class-letter-steven-blaney

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mq7r88.jpg
http://www.ofah.org/downloads/getfile.php?id=PDF/News/2014/OFAH_BlaneyS_Mar10_SwissArmyReClass.pdf

awndray
03-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Instead, we are strongly suggesting that a technical advisory committee, which previously existed and included expertise from outside of government, be re-constituted to deal with future re-classifications.
Uh...what? A panel of experts from the firearms industry would be fine and dandy, but by "future re-classifications" I hope he means de-classifications.

TV-PressPass
03-11-2014, 08:13 AM
I choose to take that as a positive. I'd like to start by reclassifying the AR as a useful coyote gun again.

Strewth
03-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Good letter, for the points it's trying for. I'm a touch less circular; instead of
...among those options is one which contemplates removing, or at the very least curtailing the authority to arbitrarily re-classify firearms
I ask that the RCMP be removed from being in the position of inadvertently making the laws they are mandated to only enforce.

awndray
03-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Good points.

Foxer
03-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Good letter overall. I remember a time when ofah had to be chastised for writing anti-firearms letters. They sure as heck have come a LONG way since those days and have proven to be good allies in our fight. Sure, we can nit-pick but over all that's a heck of a wake-up slap for the gov't and says all the things that need to be said.

Strewth
03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Good letter overall. I remember a time when ofah had to be chastised for writing anti-firearms letters. They sure as heck have come a LONG way since those days and have proven to be good allies in our fight. Sure, we can nit-pick but over all that's a heck of a wake-up slap for the gov't and says all the things that need to be said.

Agreed...but your second sentence is the reason for the nit-picking, anything from OFAH will be scrutinized by gun owners for a long time to come;).

I hope the OFAH still has some clout on the Hill? I don't know anymore?

Foxer
03-11-2014, 09:52 AM
anything from OFAH will be scrutinized by gun owners for a long time to come.

Snicker :) Well maybe that's not the worst thing in the world :) keeps them on their toes. Still - they've been very good over the last number of years.

I hope the OFAH still has some clout on the Hill? I don't know anymore?

Anybody representing 100,000 people has some clout. The gov't isn't going to take action just because ofah says so, but it all goes in the pile and builds pressure. And i'm sure the idea of making 100,000 voters in battleground ontario happy has some appeal.

Rory McCanuck
03-11-2014, 11:40 AM
So this time around OFAH is throwing the CZ owners under the bus?
Still, I guess it's better than "no one needs one of those."

bettercallsaul
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Not hearing a lot about the CZ858. Is this typical fudd "I don't see a need for those so screw'em" attitude? Looks like it.

Not everyone can afford a Swiss Arms, but the CZ is affordable.

In my mind, the re-class of the CZ is more a jab than the Swiss Arms, but both together is a huge F-U from the RCMP.

All letters to officials should include both Swiss Arms & CZ858.

Foxer
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Not hearing a lot about the CZ858. Is this typical fudd "I don't see a need for those so screw'em" attitude? Looks like it.

More like it's not as widely publicized. Not much in the paper about it and less talk than the swiss arms stuff. And seriously, if you want their help, maybe don't call them fudds. :)

harbl_the_cat
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
An 858 was used at a PQ shooting in 2012.

It might be wise to downplay the 858 and play up the Swiss Arms.

Oddly enough - even though the RCMP say it's easy to convert an 858 into a full auto, the dude who did the shooting didn't convert his. Obviously it's not as easy as the RCMP make it out to be.

HK45
03-11-2014, 07:55 PM
An 858 was used at a PQ shooting in 2012.

It might be wise to downplay the 858 and play up the Swiss Arms.

Oddly enough - even though the RCMP say it's easy to convert an 858 into a full auto, the dude who did the shooting didn't convert his. Obviously it's not as easy as the RCMP make it out to be.

And a Saab was used to kill Darcy Allan Sheppard. I don't think we need to be ashamed of our guns because some dude used one in a crime.

ilikemoose
03-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Agreed.

OFAH has stepped up,and we appreciate it.

webster
03-11-2014, 08:30 PM
And a Saab was used to kill Darcy Allan Sheppard. I don't think we need to be ashamed of our guns because some dude used one in a crime.

We don't. We do have to realize, however, that our media will demonize inanimate objects to make a story. They still call the Mini-14 "powerful" FFS. :p

Overall, I like the letter, and am glad to see the OFAH standing up for more than traditional hunting arms. And hopefully "future reclassifications" is a good thing for us. :)

Mad Hatter
03-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Hopefully they'll be able to rally a good number of their 100,000 members and 720 associate clubs against this latest debacle.

DeathSpok
02-25-2015, 12:52 PM
I remember a time when ofah had to be chastised for writing anti-firearms letters.

WTF?

blacksmithden
02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
WTF?

For us old fart hangunners who were around when our idiotic gun laws were being created....the OFHA put all their efforts into long gun owners and left hand gun owners twisting in the wind. I remember doing a hunting course where an OFAH guy (the instructor) ontinuously bashed hand guns and hand gun owners through the whole thing. This thread is a year old by the way.

DeathSpok
02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
For us old fart hangunners who were around when our idiotic gun laws were being created....the OFHA put all their efforts into long gun owners and left hand gun owners twisting in the wind. I remember doing a hunting course where an OFAH guy (the instructor) ontinuously bashed hand guns and hand gun owners through the whole thing.

So what you're saying then is that OFAH is full of fudds?

This thread is a year old by the way.

Yeah, but I didn't see it until today (heck I didn't even join GoC until a few weeks ago) and it's relevant given that I'm trying to decide which advocacy group to throw my support behind (i.e. pay for a membership).

At this point CSSA seems to be the sanest of the bunch, but that's just from my cursory reading.

blacksmithden
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
So what you're saying then is that OFAH is full of fudds?

Yeah, but I didn't see it until today (heck I didn't even join GoC until a few weeks ago) and it's relevant given that I'm trying to decide which advocacy group to throw my support behind (i.e. pay for a membership).

At this point CSSA seems to be the sanest of the bunch, but that's just from my cursory reading.

I wouldnt say theyre just a bunch of fudds.....at least not anymore. I was just stating that even to this day, there is still a lot of resentment over something that happened decades ago. Once bitten, twice shy. Id be willing to bet that there are very few, if any of the same people in place that were running the show back then.

Foxer
02-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah, ofah wrote a letter throwing their support behind gun control laws, and claiming to be speaking on behalf of basically all the wildlife federations of Canada.

BC of course wrote back and to the gov't firmly stating that they most certainly were NOT speaking for anyone else and their views did not represent the views of the BCWF :)

But that was many years ago. Since then OFAH has changed their tune in many instances.

Zinilin
02-25-2015, 02:37 PM
OFAH FILE: 842
September 26, 2008

"Handguns are already classed as prohibited firearms in Canada. Banning their legal use will not fix the real problem, which is illegal guns in the hands of criminals," added Hedman. "What a ban may do is encourage more of the same kind of knee-jerk reaction taken by Mr. Tucker, which is to unfairly discriminate against Canada's law-abiding hunters, target shooters and collectors."

Jack Hedman, President of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

http://www.ofah.org/news/Students-pawns-in-school-board-politics

DeathSpok
02-25-2015, 05:27 PM
^ I'm speechless ....

JungleCat
02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
I do not trust OFAH any further then I could throw a moose.
Bob

AR-BOY
03-15-2015, 08:33 PM
That's why I will never join that ORG . Fudds

BrotherRockeye
03-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Even Fudds are gun owners. Better to educate them and change their minds than to ostracize them into their own little outspoken group.
Mixed in with the rest of us their voices are hard to hear.
I've already converted a buddy of mine who thought all city folks should have their iron stored in a lockup on the edge of town. Of course he came up with that brilliant notion when he bought a place OUT of town.
I pointed out that his Mom stilled lived there, and that criminals KNOWING there were no legal guns in the city was declaring open season on folks just like her.
Some times you have to slap a Fudd on the correct side of his head for it to sink in. Always remember to watch you don't clip a corner and hurt your hand. :)

Foxer
03-16-2015, 10:28 AM

Then i guess they'll never change, and guess what? You can't win gun-rights-fights without those people.

So maybe drop the prejudiced and insulting terms for them, and work to bring them into the fold. OFAH has come a long way since it's anti-gun days and has contributed to the fight, and that didn't happen because people called them 'fudds', it happened because gun owners who are members of those orgs went to them and said 'oh i don't think so - you need to change your attitude and here's why".

Two For Sure
03-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Take a look at guns in your avatar. Take a look at the one in mine. I'll have mine long after yours are sent to the smelter.

And the more guys like you dump on guys like me the more likely we won't raise a finger when your guns get carted away. Keep up the good work.

BrotherRockeye
03-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Take a look at guns in your avatar. Take a look at the one in mine. I'll have mine long after yours are sent to the smelter.

And the more guys like you dump on guys like me the more likely we won't raise a finger when your guns get carted away. Keep up the good work.

read the green part of my signature.

I'm a 6 shooter, lever gun guy at heart, but I have no issue with anyone's choice of firearm, and will fight along side them for that right.

The part I bolded is the heart of the matter and exactly why FUDD is such a dirty word to many people.

Fudd
Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.
"See sonny, all those pistols in that cabinet... all thems is good for is killin people." -Example of ignorant comment from a fudd at a local gun shop. See also: Zumbo.

Two For Sure
03-16-2015, 06:21 PM
read the green part of my signature.
I'll read the last two sentences in your post too.

Some times you have to slap a Fudd on the correct side of his head for it to sink in. Always remember to watch you don't clip a corner and hurt your hand. :)

We ain't kin.

BrotherRockeye
03-16-2015, 06:44 PM
I'll read the last two sentences in your post too.

We ain't kin.

If the last 2 sentences are all that matter to you, then yer likely right.
The Fudd I was referring to is my good buddy for over 40 years and the part you selectively quoted was said tongue in cheek, obviously...

...and then I spit the hook ;D

Flashpoint
04-06-2015, 12:58 PM
If OFAH's changing their view about gun ownership now, I will happily join up with them for being on our side, give them a bit of positive reinforcement, knowwhaddImean?

Of course... if they should ever change their view I will just as happily take my money somewhere else. But for now, kudos on them for a step in the right direction.

Strangeday
05-23-2015, 05:04 PM
The OFAH are traitors...always have been, always will be