PDA

View Full Version : Thank you GOC and freinds

Steveo9mm
03-16-2014, 11:23 AM
I am taking my time to write this thank you letter. Normally I make some amount of sense but with recent issues regarding the classifications of the swiss arms and cz 858 in the past few weeks, I have lost composure and may post stupid blurbs depending on my current emotions.

I am what you may consider new to this world of sport shooting. Its coming up to about a year that I have been engulfed by this exiting sport. I have met / talked to many great people here and yes on CGN. I have done business with a couple awesome guys and probably have pi@@ed off a few with emotionally driven posts. I regret that I did but it is what it is.

I have written my share of letters as you all have. I was awake at night burning with fury over the entire situation. As a new member of the community and also as one who has been effected rather quickly by the brutality of firearms bans, I thank you all for standing up for my rights and I feel humbled "honestly" that people that I have only talked to for a short time and chatted with and fought with in forums, would defend me and others who have the same interest without a second thought. Some of those people who defend my rights do not even own the reclassified firearms. Some of them are not even firearms owners. And to them i tip my hat.

At this point i feel drained. But my fight is not gone. I may be emotionally driven but i feel the need to do more than just write letters and spam.

I am pondering ways of protesting peacefully. A rally possibly. At this point I do not know but I will come up with something. It must be well thought out and send a clear message. Stay posted.

Your friend
Steve

FALover
03-16-2014, 12:21 PM
No need to get drained. Over the past 35 years I have jumped through more hoops than a circus tiger to keep the firearms I have. Will I keep jumping? Of course I will but they will be tactical jumps(maybe more like hops,I am getting less agile with age). I wish you success with your rally. Just a few words of advice. Lead with reason. Leave the emotions at home.

Edenchef
03-16-2014, 12:55 PM
No need to get drained. Over the past 35 years I have jumped through more hoops than a circus tiger to keep the firearms I have. Will I keep jumping? Of course I will but they will be tactical jumps(maybe more like hops,I am getting less agile with age). I wish you success with your rally. Just a few words of advice. Lead with reason. Leave the emotions at home.

Well said, FAL. It is great, however to have a safe place to vent with friends. It helps keep the pressure from building up inside till you explode. Especially in these very trying days ahead of us. Vent on, Steve! It's all about the "brotherhood of arms"; together we will prevail. Count me in for the rally.

Cheers!

stevesummit
03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Good on ya. We are all in this fight

Steveo9mm
03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
"brotherhood of arms"

I like this... I really do. Thanks again guys. Bacon is on me :)

harbl_the_cat
03-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I am taking my time to write this thank you letter. Normally I make some amount of sense but with recent issues regarding the classifications of the swiss arms and cz 858 in the past few weeks, I have lost composure and may post stupid blurbs depending on my current emotions.

I am what you may consider new to this world of sport shooting. Its coming up to about a year that I have been engulfed by this exiting sport. I have met / talked to many great people here and yes on CGN. I have done business with a couple awesome guys and probably have pi@@ed off a few with emotionally driven posts. I regret that I did but it is what it is.

I have written my share of letters as you all have. I was awake at night burning with fury over the entire situation. As a new member of the community and also as one who has been effected rather quickly by the brutality of firearms bans, I thank you all for standing up for my rights and I feel humbled "honestly" that people that I have only talked to for a short time and chatted with and fought with in forums, would defend me and others who have the same interest without a second thought. Some of those people who defend my rights do not even own the reclassified firearms. Some of them are not even firearms owners. And to them i tip my hat.

At this point i feel drained. But my fight is not gone. I may be emotionally driven but i feel the need to do more than just write letters and spam.

I want to physically protest this situation. Get more media involved. Anything. In coming days I will be planning a protest rally. If any of you are interested please let me know. It will be in Edmonton. If you think I am nuts, then so be it. I may be the only one there but at least ill feel i am doing something other than spamming letters. Feel free to join me. Or guide me as you all have done so well.

Your friend
Steve

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the shooting community.

I started with my first 3 gun match in the military on CFB Edmonton in 2004 before I even had my PAL.

I understand the emotional drain this whole ordeal has. In 2008, I had my guns confiscated (I wrote about it here: http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?12719-We-re-Not-At-War-Anymore&p=128425&viewfull=1#post128425).

It was one of the most challenging experiences I've ever gone through and it took me years to get over it. While it happened, I went from being about 190 lbs to 150 lbs in a period of about 5 months because of the anxiety of going to court, releasing from the military, finding a new career.

This whole experience with the prohibitions has really poked at and partially reopened those wounds for me - not so much in causing me anxiety, as much as re-affirming the hopelessness of the political arena in bringing about change.

What I am more certain of than ever will ultimately force real change is demographic pressure. Right now, the oldest Baby-boomers are turning 68, the youngest 55. That generation rebelled against authority in their formative years (think Woodstock and Vietnam) only to institute an even worse form authority when they grew up (think Trudeau-mania). They enjoyed the most prosperous period in history, accumulating more material wealth than any generation in history (mostly at the expense of future generations who were burdened and saddled with all the debt their boomer-parents amassed to pay for it all).

In short - they personally have a LOT to lose by things like, threats by the government they created to lock them in jail for not having a piece of paper for a piece of property they purchased in good faith, that was a legal transaction at the time. Thus, they and to a large extent, their children in subsequent generations up until the generation that was starting to be born about 14 years ago have a mindset of being easily bullied into submission by the government to comply with tyrannical, draconian law. Again - they have a lot to lose by being thrown into cages for non-compliance with laws that punish victimless crimes.

Now - those kids born 14 years ago right up until today are quite different.

They have little material wealth, material possession, and most importantly, unlike the earlier children of Boomers (Gen-X'ers and Millenials, of which I am one) - those kids also don't and won't have the same opportunity subsequent generations had.

So what you're seeing is a natural, mass die-off of a generation that could be easily intimidated by government threats of violence (as the Boomers hit the magic 75-80 year time frame, it's only natural to expect them to start dying), and a mass rising up of a generation that cannot be easily intimidated by those same very threats.

When you have enough prosperity to have a family, a nice big house full of consumer goods, several cars, and plans to take 3 vacations a year - you tend to be very frightened of the prospect of the government taking you away and locking you in a cage. This is why older Millenials (like myself), Gen-X'ers, and Boomers are so easily coralled by the government when they threaten to lock them in a cage arbitrarily. They don't want to lose the fruits of their prosperity.

The young Millenials and iGen's do not and never will have any such fruits. They will, in general, have low paying, degrading, service level jobs working as Walmart clerks or Mcdonalds hamburger flippers - and even most of those who land themselves in the small, narrow band of the "middle class" will do so at the cost of taking on enormous amounts of debt they probably will not be able to pay off at least until the best years of their lives are robbed of them, chained to a desk at a job they hate. They won't be able to get into the housing market (because real estate is horribly overvalued), they won't have any savings (because their debt levels are too high), they won't have the raw quantity of dust-collector toys and fancy gadgets their parents did (because they won't have any disposable income to procure them).

When this generation hits voting age - they will be a force to be reckoned with. They will be the ones to look at the draconian laws their parents gave tacit approval of and say "seriously?" They will not be intimidated or frightened at the prospect of being locked in cages by armed men from the government. In fact, there's a good chance those very prisons will have better living standards than the standards of those on the outside - so I suspect you'll see massive non-compliance with ridiculous laws like the Firearms Act by these kids, daring the powers that be to lock them all up.

This may seem like it's going on a big tangent - but it's not and here's why.

I consider it a waste to lobby bureaucrats and politicians to do anything. They can get all the votes they need from the complacent beef cattle Boomers, Gen-X'ers, and Millennials who are easily motivated by sticks and carrots into compliance.

What I don't consider a waste is getting involved with the young Millenials and iGens (the youth of today). Guiding them, teaching them, and instilling in them a love of liberty however you can. I started a program designed specifically to teach children how to shoot. I volunteer with my church with a group of 20 Jr. High aged kids. I home school my own children.

Unfortunately - there's just no way in the next 10 years to bring about any meaningful change for the love of liberty. The only hope lies with the rise of the upcoming generation of young kids, and the natural die-off of the older generation who created this very mess.

Getting some dried up dinosaurs in Ottawa on your side won't make any meaningful change beyond what can be undone in another 2-4 year election cycle.

Getting a group of children, mentoring them and guiding them has the potential to change the entire world.

Working with kids is how I overcame my fear of what the government can do to me. I'd suggest trying it.

Swampdonkey
07-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Thank-you to everyone who has not registered or surrendered their newly prohibited guns. The LGR failed in large part to non-compliance. Post-LGR we said "Never Again!" Now is the time to show that we meant what we said, that we can thwart our oppressors and cannot be cowed by our adversaries. However you go about it, remember that we all cheer and remember brave actions by free Canadians.

iceshadow
07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
true this, Swampdonkey. This is why I don't like draconian possession penalties that could be used against anyone. Make laws against violent criminals and leave us alone.

blacksmithden
07-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Thank-you to everyone who has not registered or surrendered their newly prohibited guns. The LGR failed in large part to non-compliance. Post-LGR we said "Never Again!" Now is the time to show that we meant what we said, that we can thwart our oppressors and cannot be cowed by our adversaries. However you go about it, remember that we all cheer and remember brave actions by free Canadians.

Agreed.

Doug_M
07-19-2014, 04:52 AM
When this generation hits voting age - they will be a force to be reckoned with. They will be the ones to look at the draconian laws their parents gave tacit approval of and say "seriously?" They will not be intimidated or frightened at the prospect of being locked in cages by armed men from the government. In fact, there's a good chance those very prisons will have better living standards than the standards of those on the outside - so I suspect you'll see massive non-compliance with ridiculous laws like the Firearms Act by these kids, daring the powers that be to lock them all up.

What a fantasy! What will really happen is they will vote NDP.

CLW .45
07-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Hang in there.

Today, as I was teaching my eight year old grandson a new picking pattern for the ukulele, he asked how to play it fast. My response, start slowly, do it correctly, and keep at it. It will get better.

On the drive home, I thought about how that applied to this mess.

Do it correctly, it will get better.

Seems that insisting the changes be substantial is the correct way.

While the LGR was arguably less than earth shaking, it was a substantial change.

What comes before the election must also qualify as substantial.