PDA

View Full Version : My First Wild Turkey

awndray
03-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Last Fall's harvest was unexpected and I didn't have time to cook it right away, so I had to freeze the bird. I was worried it would get freezer burnt, but I actually did a good job at sealing it. So, this weekend I finally decided to give it a try - my first time cooking a turkey for some friends. This was a trial run for the upcoming birds I intend on harvesting.

I really wanted to smoke it, but that meant buying a smoker, and I didn't want to do that just yet. I decided to toss it in the oven; but not before stuffing a couple of apples in it, rubbing some pepper and seasoned salt on it, and then basting it with a mixture of maple syrup, sunflower seed oil, white wine vinegar, sugar, BBQ sauce, Worchestershire sauce, and garlic. It turned out pretty nice and tasted better than I expected. The dark meat was a little overcooked, but I did expect that from a wild bird. There was enough white meat to feed 6 adults and to fill a large container with leftovers. The picture here doesn't show the fully cooked bird. It still had to go in for another 45 minutes at that point. I was just monitoring the temperature, basting it and making sure the bare spots weren't burning.

http://i61.tinypic.com/f9j0y.jpg

All in all, my guinea pigs liked it. I'm confident that the next round will be better. I froze the legs (dark meat) to see if I can salvage them by boiling them. I don't know how that will turn out, but I didn't want to waste anything. Yesterday, I made 4 liters of turkey stock with the carcass, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. That's in the freezer now.

I can't wait for the next one!

superbrad
03-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Looks pretty good Awndray... I smoke mine and maple glaze it.... If you want to smoke yours this spring let me know, you are welcome to come by my place and toss your bird(s) in with mine, smoker holds 4 pretty easy.... here is my recipe:

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?1457-Maple-Smoked-amp-Glazed-Wild-Turkey

BrotherRockeye
03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
the last time I had Wild Turkey I fell off the deck...fortunately a good buddy of mine threw his body under me to break my fall, so I wasn't hurt...he wasn't so lucky... ;D

I always just drink it...never tried smoking it...

Waterloomike
03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Looks pretty dead to me.

coastal
03-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Interesting, I heard they taste really, uh dry. I'd like to try smoked turkey. mmmmm

Waterloomike
03-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Interesting, I heard they taste really, uh dry. I'd like to try smoked turkey. mmmmm

People often cook them in a way that makes them dry, but they don't have to be dry.

Smoked turkey is some of the best meat I've ever tasted.

harbl_the_cat
03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Looks good!

I'm not brave enough to cook a turkey - wild or store bought.

Moon
04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I have now done three of them in the deep fryer and they were all incredible. I salted them over night and washed and dried them well the following morning. A blow dryer works wonders! I marinated (injected) two of them using frozen concentrated apple juice mixed with some liquid smoke. I learned that the marinate comes out of the turkey quite soon after it is put in the deep fryer so you should either use it sparingly or stand far back from the hot oil... probably both.

All in all, it took about 25 minutes to cook and the bird was moist and delicious. It is pretty fool-proof.