PDA

View Full Version : cleaning rod rubbing lands at chamber

shadowwarrior
03-19-2014, 08:46 PM
What are the odds that my cleaning rod rubbing the lands has caused damage? I'm using a bore guide with a stainless rod(they were out of stock on the dewey nyloncoateds) and last cleaning I noticed some scapes on the rod, my borescope is a bit too fat to get far enough in for a good look but cant get to my buddies till weekend. Could this damage the lands and could damage if any have a big affect on grouping?

Rory McCanuck
03-19-2014, 09:44 PM
I doubt it.
The rod would likely hit something else before the rifling at the chamber.
Rod catching on the ejector or sear, maybe?

I'd think it'd take a good bit of damage there before you noticed anything on paper.

Strewth
03-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Might, but probably not? Only way to tell is to keep a log book, really. The crown is traditionally the part we worry about the most as the last part to touch the bullet, though. Dewey nyloncoated for the win, in my opinion. I've got a pretty rough looking pitted Mosin bore with a good crown that shoots quite well...not exactly scientific paper material, I realise.

CF_Smith
03-20-2014, 11:55 AM
I just use a snake, 2 pulls and the chamber and bore are good.

Rory McCanuck
03-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Yet, if you don't pull the snake exactly straight out, you'll wear one side of the muzzle.
That will definitely affect accuracy.

BrotherRockeye
03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Yet, if you don't pull the snake exactly straight out, you'll wear one side of the muzzle.

how many un exactly straight pulls will it take to wear one side of the muzzle?

Rory McCanuck
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
42 ;)
Not uncommon to see the passenger's side of the muzzle on a Lee Enfield worn from improper use of a pull-through.

CF_Smith
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM

You really think that brass is going to wear down steel? I'm only educated up to first year university chemistry but I really doubt it...

Rory McCanuck
03-20-2014, 02:01 PM
No, but the carbon, glass particles from the primer, and other assorted kakaahh that gets embedded into the boresnake will.
But I are just an iggernant mechanic, what would I know about wear...
Here's a picture of the step in Canterbury Cathedral, worn by pilgrims' knees.
http://faculty.virginia.edu/engl381ck/7_steps.gif

BrotherRockeye
03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
I would have guessed 43 or 44 :p

I'm no fan of boresnakes to begin with unless you wash them between uses and that is too much of a pita...

I did use one for my H&R .204 because my rods wouldn't fit though.

CF_Smith
03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
No, but the carbon, glass particles from the primer, and other assorted kakaahh that gets embedded into the boresnake will.
But I are just an iggernant mechanic, what would I know about wear...
Here's a picture of the step in Canterbury Cathedral, worn by pilgrims' knees.
http://faculty.virginia.edu/engl381ck/7_steps.gif

I think that if you were to pull the snake through multiple times a day, every day for years you might notice something. I had not taken the crud into consideration, Kind of changed my view on it tbh. I would reckon that the odd pull through would not harm the barrel

Rory McCanuck
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Actually, I think the bore-snake is a heck of an idea, just be careful with it.
Keep it clean, whether you can get away with running it through the washing machine is your call.
Try not to rub the edge of the muzzle when pulling it through.

I wouldn't mind getting a couple, as they would be great to have at least in the truck while hunting.

I'd still want a rod though, as the only cleaning I've ever done during hunting season has been due to a bore plugged with snow/ice and once mud (don't ask, I still haven't lived it down :red:) You still want something to poke through so the bore snake can get through.

Strewth
03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
^Roll of weed-wacker line, one end pointy, one end melted in a blob to catch the patch you spike on the pointy end? Fits a .22, not sure about BR's .204?

RobSmith
03-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I honestly like boresnakes for an initial pass, even if it has a bit of abrasive crap on it it gets things going. Then normal patches. That being said if you're worried about your rod messing with the rifling you could either 1)get a coated rod or 2) pull it thru from the muzzle and use a bore guide to ensure you don't mess up your crown.

shadowwarrior
03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
The weird part is the rod hits the lands with a bore guide that is the right size for caliber. Coated rod will be picked up shortly, looked with buddies borescope today all looks good.
Thanks.

coyote
06-28-2014, 02:55 AM
It would be pretty hard to damage a bore with a cleaning rod seeing a rifle barrel is made with steel between 26-32 RC hardness and a cleaning rod mild steel.

The worst thing with a cleaning rod is allowing it to pick up an abbrasive and having it inbed in the rod ,this would scratch the bore and damage it.

VooDoo
06-28-2014, 01:21 PM
You guys need to watch this from NSSF (National Sport Shooting Foundation):

Former Army Ranger sniper team leader Ryan Cleckner describes how he cleans his rifle and lets you in on some tips and trick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WRO17sk_dI

wally338
06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
More guns are damaged due to improper/ excessive cleaning than not enough cleaning. I only clean my guns once the groups start to open up.

DaleJ
07-22-2014, 11:33 PM
You really think that brass is going to wear down steel? I'm only educated up to first year university chemistry but I really doubt it...

Polypropylene hay baler twine wears out steal twine guides on balers. I'm a post-graduate understudy from the school of hard knocks. Just kidding bout my schooling.

Dmay
07-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Not to be confrontational with you Wally....and nothing against your opinion.....just my take as it relates to this thread:

More guns are damaged due to improper/ excessive cleaning than not enough cleaning. I only clean my guns once the groups start to open up.

Have heard statements along this line many times, and I have to disagree. Cleaning does not in any way damage a rifle, IF done properly, as you say.
And my question is always, "Why would you want your groups to open up?" In the case of a precision rifle, I certainly wouldn't want to shoot until it no longer shoots to potential. Clean before this happens. And in my experience, a clean bore usually shoots to full potential, albeit some do require a fouling shot or two.....Just my .02.

OITC
07-23-2014, 07:16 AM
I'll +1 for bore snakes... never had a problem with them and i don't mind washing them. Really good to take with ya in the range bag just incase.

CF_Smith
07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Polypropylene hay baler twine wears out steal twine guides on balers. I'm a post-graduate understudy from the school of hard knocks. Just kidding bout my schooling.

And the knees of monks also wore down stone... I seriously doubt the brass rod will do more damage then a copper bullet flying down the tube at supersonic speeds... At least the rods are a smaller diameter the the bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atr
07-24-2014, 06:19 PM
And the knees of monks also wore down stone... I seriously doubt the brass rod will do more damage then a copper bullet flying down the tube at supersonic speeds... At least the rods are a smaller diameter the the bore.

You can chuck a brass carriage bolt/screw in your drill and re-crown your barrel with it . Ya , it's a home job but if you have a damaged crown and little money , it works . As for a copper plated bullet vs a brass rod , it doesn't compare . Take a .308 at 2,700 fps by your barrel length over a most agreed upon 8,000 rounds to shoot a barrel out and the total time a bullet is travelling down the barrel times 8,000 bullets is under 6 total seconds . A brass rod used for minutes per clean times how many cleans in 8,000 rounds fired may add up to hours of brass rubbing compared to under 6 total seconds of copper jacket bullets travelling down the barrel . What was your degree in ?

Rory McCanuck
07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Okay, now put 5-600 and 60,000psi behind that brass rod to make it comparable.

CF_Smith
07-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Yes it is only 6 seconds, but it is 6 seconds of more friction and heat. If you put you rod in you barrel and leave it there for 24 hours, it won't wear it down. I think we can agree thy time is a pretty negligible factor. Re degree: Nursing, I'm still a student.

GTA Dragon
07-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Its not the poly that wears the guides down it is the dirt and dust it has accumulated.

GTA Dragon
07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Okay, now put 5-600 and 60,000psi behind that brass rod to make it comparable.

That's more like it, you won't recrown chrome moly barrel with a piece of brass. Not going to happen

GTA Dragon
07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Yes it is only 6 seconds, but it is 6 seconds of more friction and heat. If you put you rod in you barrel and leave it there for 24 hours, it won't wear it down. I think we can agree thy time is a pretty negligible factor. Re degree: Nursing, I'm still a student.

Brass will not damage or wear your barrel down, the impact of a copper jacketed bullet may wear over time, but it leaves a deposit of copper more than it wears. Most crowns are damaged from mis handling, and they are often fixed with carbide insert cutting tool on a lathe.