PDA

View Full Version : Help with reloading 30-06

rekshort
03-23-2014, 03:22 PM
This is my first post :)

I was hoping that someone out there can give me some advise. I'm new to reloading, and a few days ago I picked up some Hornady A-Max 178grain bullets and Hodgdon Varget powder to reload 30-06.
I finally got my hands on a Lyman 49th and I see that the bullets and powder I purchased are for (at least in the book) .308, 30-06 doesn't list either product.
Should I scrap the bullets I have made and source items listed, or use them? And if so can you provide me with oal etc..
Any advise is much appreciated.

Rob

Rory McCanuck
03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
My Hornady book says COAL of 3.220" with the 178 A-MAX.
Varget should work fine for what you're doing, you can get the data straight from the horse's mouth, here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Their data is for the Sierra SPBT, and gives a COAL of 3.300" and goes from 44- 47gr of Varget.
I'd take an empty case and make of a dummy cartridge to see what OAL will work in your rifle, fit the magazine, doesn't jam in the leade, etc. If you can seat it long, it will tend to keep pressures lower (assuming it isn't jammed into the lands), if you need to seat it short, drop the powder back a grain or so from max. As always, start low and work your way up.

If you have a good stockpile of brass, mark the dummy cartridge for what bullet and length, and set it aside to use for setting up your die in the future.

rekshort
03-23-2014, 04:04 PM
That's great! I don't need to scrap these then. I measured my oal by loading a dummy round, and concluded a length of 3.3 and dropped it to 3.28. So I got pretty close.

I will seat them to 3.22 as per your book.

Thank you for your help :)

Rory McCanuck
03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
If you can go longer, I would.
Keeps pressure a bit lower and allows a little more wiggle room.

rekshort
03-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Ok I'll see how these shoot at 3.28 first then go from there.