PDA

View Full Version : Tips for "Standing" ATT in Ontario?

Petamocto
03-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Hello,

I'm about to upgrade into the R-PAL world (RCMP approved it today), and I am wondering if any of you can provide any tips for me to get a "Standing" ATT in Ontario?

The vast majority of any transport will be between my home in Collingwood, and my work at the Base in Meaford, where I will be shooting once per month as a member of the Rod and Gun Club.

I see on the RCMP's website that I have to fill out an RCMP 5490 ATT for target shooting at an approved range, but what else can I do to make this easier in the future?

If I get this thing, I'll be covered between my house and the ranges at work, but what else have people successfully put on a "Standing" ATT?

To/from a gun repair shop?
To/from a possible buyer?

I don't want to give the wrong impression here, these are going to be locked up at my house 99% of the time. I am not asking for someone to give me advice on how to drive around with these in my car all day, because that is not going to happen.

I would, however, like to just go through this process once, and be covered for any possible contingencies.

I don't think this matters to my answer, but I am looking at one AR, and two pistols, all in one case (Daniel Defense, Glock 17/34, and S&W 629).

Thank you very much for any advice, it is much appreciated.

3MTA3
03-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Typically in Ontario, the club applies for the ATT on the behalf of the member, after they complete their "ATT course" and probationary shoots. The club asssures the CFO in writing that the candidate presents no safety risk. The duration of the ATT is normally 3 yrs with the condition that you remain a member in good standing, of the club named on the ATT. The wording on the current ATTs is not usually as liberal as you desire. DND ranges are usually listed separately in the wording of the ATT. you would think that the CFO's office would lay this all out for you on a website or something similar, but they do not, even their contact info is not easily available , although with a little digging you can come up with it.- I get the feeling they do not see themselves as a "service" organization.
You already have the DDM4 and handguns?

maybe interesting for you- from last Jan-http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/2013/01/call_to_action_20120129.html

awndray
03-26-2014, 04:31 AM
When you get your club membership and then your ATT, it should indicate that it's good for all approved ranges. At least, that's what mine says. I remember a time when people used to have it indicate that it was good to travel to any gunsmith, but apparently this stipulation is no longer added to the ATT. I've never had it on mine. When selling, you have to call for the transfer and you get the ATT for that purpose at the same time.

Petamocto
03-26-2014, 07:19 AM
When you get your club membership and then your ATT, it should indicate that it's good for all approved ranges. At least, that's what mine says. I remember a time when people used to have it indicate that it was good to travel to any gunsmith, but apparently this stipulation is no longer added to the ATT. I've never had it on mine. When selling, you have to call for the transfer and you get the ATT for that purpose at the same time.

Thank you.

I think I'm good to go with the ATT for the range/club part, but my question is more to do with the latter part of your comments before the actual sale.

I understand that if I choose to sell, I need the ATT for the actual ownership transfer part, but what I am asking is if it is possible to have it added to the ATT that it may be under transport just to show it to a potential buyer (and then if they choose to buy it, I would then get the transfer of ownership started).

With your comment about the gun shop, do you mean that it is no longer added because it's understood that you are allowed to bring it to a gun shop, or that it is no longer added because they want a separate ATT every time you bring it in for service?

awndray
03-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I doubt the CFO will approve a blanket approval to transport it wherever you please just to show it to potential buyers. That's essentially what they don't want. As for the gunsmith/gun shop, the same as the above applies. They don't want you to freely transport it when you please. That means you need an ATT for that specific purpose. So, they force us to waste a lot of time by calling them to get approval to bring your gun to a shop to have it repaired or worked on.

Fun, huh?

Petamocto
03-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Okay, thank you.

I understand their desire to prevent people from driving around with guns in their cars, but hopefully I can talk to them and have the gun smith part added. I'll call them to see.

For me it would either be to Epps or to Bass Pro, so hopefully I can convince them that Bass Pro is my boundary, and I'll never bring them into Toronto.

3MTA3
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
PS -The club is expected to ensure that you own restricted firearms before they can petition the CFO for ATT on your behalf.
Lots of people drive around with firearms in their vehicle, the ATT does not prevent this.

Petamocto
03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Very true, thank you, and just about an hour ago I heard basically that back from the club.

They are running the next Long Term-ATT processing course in June, and they said that all I need is to have bought one Resricted firearm by then, which provides the justification for the club to sponsor my paperwork. If I want to shoot before that, I just need to do the short-term ones one at a time.

I was actually surprised to learn that the ATTs here are owner-based and not firearm-based, meaning I thought every single item was tracked. However, as they are written, it would seem that it is more about the owner getting permission, and if I have one at the time of application, it doesn't matter if I have 3-4 after that.

It really is not my intent to drive around with them in my vehicle, though.

awndray
03-27-2014, 04:57 AM
There's an ATT course?

Waterloomike
03-27-2014, 06:30 AM
My club, Twin Cities rifle club, will test to see if you understand the intention of the ATT.

I jumped through the hoops, owned pistols, then they called me and said my ATT was in and I should show up at the club to take the course.

So I go and he asks if I have my pistol with me. I said no, because I'm not in possession of an ATT. (I had already belonged to another club before.)

So he said I passed the course and he handed me the ATT.

3MTA3
03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
All individuals have successfully completed a club level handgun safety course that meets the minimum
training and testing standards prescribed in the Canadian Shooting Sports Association, Canadian Firearms
Institute or equivalent club level handgun safety course. All have shown a responsible attitude and behavior towards the care, handling and use of firearms and are hereby recommended by the executive of said club to have their authorizations to transport issued.
Wording to this effect has to be submitted in Ontario

Waterloomike
03-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Wording to this effect has to be submitted in Ontario

Yes Sir. You must pass a test to the satisfaction of a licensed instructor. No exceptions.

Petamocto
03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
I already passed the safe handling course required to get the R-PAL in the first place.

I was told that I must have a restricted firearm in my posession by the time of doing this course, which would provide the justification for an ATT being submitted.

I may be wrong, but I believe the "course" has more to do with them running me through how to properly fill out and submit an long-term ATT, with their backing as the club.

Before that time, anything I do will have to be based on the short-term one day at a time type ATTs, which is a PITA.

3MTA3
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
The note I posted is part of what is on the form filled out by the club and submitted to the CFO, after you take the "course".- club level handgun safety course