PDA

View Full Version : Russian Wood Repairs

VancouverSkiBum
03-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I was always curious about the mark on my gun. It never even came close to coming off when I refinished the stock so it goes deep. Is it just a blemish, or is it a repair? Is it tar?

http://i.imgur.com/h4A1ooN.jpg

addictedshooter
03-29-2014, 06:46 AM
It Looks like pocket of resin. This can be common in laminated stocks because of voids in the plys of wood. Thats what i think, or it was filled when they bored the bolt hole.
You said you refinished the stock. A quality control trick is to use the "less than perfect" stocks for darker finish colours because it hides the imperfections. If you went with the lighter finish you exposed the flaw.

superbrad
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Sks?... that is a special mark they use to identify the one in 20000 that can shoot minute of hippopotamus.....

Bahahahh... sorry... couldn't resist... nice job on the wood though....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

VancouverSkiBum
03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
It Looks like pocket of resin. This can be common in laminated stocks because of voids in the plys of wood. Thats what i think, or it was filled when they bored the bolt hole.
You said you refinished the stock. A quality control trick is to use the "less than perfect" stocks for darker finish colours because it hides the imperfections. If you went with the lighter finish you exposed the flaw.
It was just as clear before i refinished. Enough to make the seller let me know before i bought. Yea the original finish was dark.

7Six2
04-14-2014, 07:03 PM
What did you use to stripper it? im thinking of refinishing my Mosin because the upper hand guard is mismatched.

VancouverSkiBum
04-14-2014, 07:44 PM
What did you use to stripper it? im thinking of refinishing my Mosin because the upper hand guard is mismatched.
Heres my thread on refinishing my sks

http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?8540-Ive-gone-and-quot-Pulled-quot-the-trigger-again-SKS-Refinishing

Satain
04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
I can help you fix it if you want. I will be off line in one weeks time for at least 2 more weeks if all goes well but contact me if you are interested.